@ Riot - Please give Sakura Karma her kimono back!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Season in Hell

03-19-2013

refund please.
-_-

KínseySíx

03-19-2013

I'm actually a Karma fan, though the Sakura skin is the only skin of hers I never bought, just wasn't for me.

This new attempt is pretty ghastly though. It almost looks like you've chopped two different champions in half at the waist then sewed them back together at random. From the waist up I like it, looks righteously geisha. From the waist down suddenly she's a female Lee Sin?, I just don't get it. There's no cohesion.

It's jarring and unpleasant.

As for the sun goddess skin, I think it has better cohesion but it's kind of..... Skanky?. Seems it would be more fitting on Nidalee or Sivir than Karma. Thank christ we're getting the 'traditional' skin for free, it's the only one of the lot that I think is a hands-down improvement on her older looks. Her new base model is as generic as can be.

EDIT: For a touch of something constructive amidst this whine fest, why not have the kimono long again, but split down one side? Kimono naturally fall like that when disheveled anyway and it would allow for it to be largely animated to just one leg, still allowing her leg animations room to move, so to speak.

Pomf Pomf Pomf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2013

So why not just keep the old model for sakura karma, idc if the old skills have nothing to do with the new ones animation wise, keep them cause I love my sakura karma skin.

mid Vox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2013

Fix it.

Avalon Bright

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
We do indeed animate differently. There's no cloth simulation, no real-time physics engine, it's all hand-crafted. This makes fabrics in general very taxing on the animators, and when things go astray, where there's clipping, or a particular animation might cause the polys to deform badly, we have to edit. It's not about "are we up to the challenge", there are physical limitations we do have to deal with, and we do have to make cost/benefit analysis at times. It can be an issue of practicality, feasibility and payoff.

Ohmikegoodness is an absolute authority on this. He can tell you personally how difficult Queen Ashe and Divine Soraka were.
I was just about to come and mention Queen and Divine. But why is it good enough to manage for them but not good enough for Karma? Obviously the experience in modeling a full robe is there so it's not like it's a job that's something no one is familiar with. Thanks for replying though!

Byrnes

03-19-2013

+1

Something just seems off about the skin, which is unfortunate since it was such a good looking skin before.

I dont know why, but I feel like if she was given a short sleeved version of what she is wearing it might look a tad bit better?

BigBananaBoat

03-19-2013

bumping for fashion!

ohmikegoodness

Senior Animator

03-19-2013
6 of 16 Riot Posts

Yes thanks Iron for tanking most of this for the animation team, I should check the forums more!

To reiterate, yes, cloth is very difficult. But let it be known that we hear you! And it's being worked on...

Crappy Aim

03-19-2013

Good guy IronStylus, tanking the forums for the animators.

Zerglinator

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmikegoodness View Post
Yes thanks Iron for tanking most of this for the animation team, I should check the forums more!

To reiterate, yes, cloth is very difficult. But let it be known that we hear you! And it's being worked on...

Excellent.