The Emergence of Phishing = "Report Post" Feature Must Be Implemented

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tamat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Live Services

Follow RiotTamat on Twitter

10-20-2010
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Greetings Summoners!

We've been tracking this issue today and are tackling these posts as quickly as we can find them. We have a short term and a long term plan to prevent activity like this, but in the meantime, please be mindful that this activity is taking place.

RaptorSenpai

10-20-2010

I have basic Microsoft Security Essentials, I just got a new laptop >> sooo does that work decently?

Baalboy5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2010

just disable urls til you have it covered.

Polaritie

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imumybuddy View Post
I have basic Microsoft Security Essentials, I just got a new laptop >> sooo does that work decently?
Um... offhand, I'm not sure how solid that is, or what it covers. I know Windows has been shipping with stuff lately, but I have free anti-virus both through my school and my home ISP, so...

@Riot: You should probably post an announcement about this for now.

RaptorSenpai

10-20-2010

Well I did a full scan, I'm clear. Also I have no new processes etc. going on my comp. I'm clean, thanks for the help

Tamat

Live Services

Follow RiotTamat on Twitter

10-20-2010
2 of 2 Riot Posts

It's important to point out that this isn't a virus. Think of it as a login/password Venus fly-trap.

Polaritie

10-20-2010

Quote:
Well I did a full scan, I'm clear. Also I have no new processes etc. going on my comp. I'm clean, thanks for the help
Umm... a thorough anti-virus scan tends to take a while. There's only a couple hundred thousand files to check, after all.

Edit: Yes, a straight phishing attempt doesn't need any malware, but frankly, if you're baiting people to a site, you may as well throw some drive-by attacks up. Can't hurt to run a scan.

Shinzengumi

10-20-2010

Quote:
Is it this d2k5 guy? I accidently clicked on his link and I immediately clicked exit tab. It didn't load the page but will I have a keylogger/ virus already?
The link forwards you to a pseudo LoL link that asks for your username and password. It doesn't have virus or auto-keylogs.

or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamat View Post
It's important to point out that this isn't a virus. Think of it as a login/password Venus fly-trap.
^ That.

NoOtherDestiny

10-20-2010

A report button would be nice, but it'd have to be a bit more useful then the ingame one that gets spammed every game where idiots decide to report everyone for the hell of it or report people for stupid reasons (omg he stole my kill, report!). I think that there should be a report button, and reporting a post without good reason (a person disagreeing with you is not a good reason) will get you in trouble, perhaps a 3 strike then temp forum ban. I've seen many posts on the forums that would be considered instant ban for the posters but they get away with it.

The other problem is that it is too easy to create/spam forum accounts since it is a free game. You ban someone on forums, they create new account and back 2 seconds later. If you try to IP ban or whatever they can reset their modem/router or do it via another device (eg smart phone, work computer, friend etc) or just use a proxy or VPN. Perhaps requiring people to finish 5 games before they can post in the forums, but allowing them to post in support forum section without any games in the event they are unable to play and seek report. It will cut back on smurf/spam accounts.

Cloudzog

10-20-2010

I've put up a post in relation to my main account Froozog being hacked, I hope Tamat or another red can please help soon...