Why Everyone Hates the Proposed Atma's Impaler change, and Why They're Wrong

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ursalgodon

10-20-2010

As many of you know, the recipe for Atma's Impaler was going to be changed. The 18% was going to be exchanged for 180 health, and the total cost reduced. Everyone on the test realm hated it, even though the new Atma's would have much more internal synergy. It could be a viable mid-game investment instead of (at best) a late-game luxury. From a design point of view, it was much improved.

But there's a deep problem nobody noticed: there are only two other items with both damage and crit chance, and neither can be stacked efficiently. There are several champions who want no other stats except damage and crit chance (Gangplank comes to mind), and if the Atma's change went through, they would have too few options.

Everyone was right to hate it, but not for the reasons they gave.

Here's what needs to happen. Atma's Impaler needs to build from a Ruby Crystal instead of a Cloak of Agility, and in the same patch, Riot should release a new item with damage and crit chance and a non-unique passive so that Gangplank and Tryndamere can go wild with it.

Ganjahi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2010

agreed

MetalHev

10-20-2010

I kind of liked it. Since I like cheap items and all.

FakeOrgans

10-20-2010

I....Agree.

remanemporor

10-20-2010

This is what we need.

Aqualisk

10-20-2010

They developers posted on this already. They didn't go through with the change because it would have just filled one hole and created another in terms of itemization.

When they decide to change Atmas they will add a new item to take its place.

WillofTheWay

10-20-2010

/singed

amidoinitrite?

Seriously though, if that change on atma's goes through, I am all up in your corner for this one. Another item to stack on fatbeard and Cloud, I mean, Tryndamere would be sexy.

Ursalgodon

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHev View Post
I kind of liked it. Since I like cheap items and all.
Actually, since the whole point of Atma's is having an awesome damage passive from survivability items, I would also suggest replacing the chain vest with a cloth armor, to make it even easier to buy.

Gazow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursalgodon View Post
But there's a derp problem nobody noticed:

i see your point

Xypherous

Systems Designer

10-20-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quoting myself:

Quote:
Atma's passive is supposed to look extremely favorable to those with high hp pools but the critical strike requirement made it extremely undesirable for those who did. (Jax is the posterchild of someone who should want it but it's not terribly helpful on him since he does split damage.)

We still want Atma's to function this way for tanks/heavy DPS but if that means there's a hole in our itemization (Crit/Survivability/Damage) I'm probably going to suggest that we do this change in conjunction with filling that hole with some other new item. Thanks for the feedback.