(FACTIONS) The backstory (what are they fighting for?)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

This post is from the first Factions arc: Mirrorwater.

Here are the lore updates for this previous arc:

Backstory: Mirrorwater
Update 1: Piltover Rallies
Update 2: Noxian Reinforcements
Update 3: The Freljord Resolution
Update 4: Udyr
Update 5: The True Noxus

And the next arc begins with Ceruleana.

~ ~ ~

Site: www.leaguefactions.net

Sign-Up Thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3248130

Find games in the "Factions" chat room. (click the "speech bubble" icon next to "add friend" to create/join a chat; type in "Factions" and hit enter.

Next Update: Update 1: Piltover Rallies

So what are we fighting for?

(The “Factions” system has gotten off to a great start, thanks in no small part due to Summoners like ultimaasummoner and Mysterio731. There are already almost 1000 people signed up! So I thought I might want to make up some pretendy fantasy stuff to explain what, in theory, all this fighting is about. I decided to stick with the tried-and-true casus belli: a magical MacGuffin. Here you go.)

~ ~ ~

Four states of Runeterra — Demacia, Ionia, Noxus, and Piltover — have turned to the League of Legends, champions of nations and arbiters of final resort. For this weighty matter, these states’ own greatest heroes have pledged to fight for them and them alone. Anything less would be treachery.

Less than one week ago, a flash of cold silver brilliance tore its way down out of the sky, shearing off a peak of Mount Targon and exploding into the ground not far from the Institute of War. Where this strange star struck ground it formed a bright pool of light, like a silver lake.

Sounds pretty magical to me! Let’s see what kind of items we can turn THAT into!

The League itself made the first move. The star, or whatever it was, landed on international territory administered by the League. So it seems fair that possession should fall to the League itself—

Ha ha. Nice try, Summoners.

Demacia, Ionia, and Noxus were on the scene the next day, each acting surprised to find the other there. After all

… it was right on the outskirts of Demacian land
… except that it was still within the boundaries of League land, and the closest internal border was Noxian, and the Treaty of Kane plainly considers …
… it to be Noxian, true, but that treaty has no force over land overseen by the Ionian Astronomical Council, and

… a lot of awkward politics later, they submitted the matter to the League. Piltover interceded at the last minute, arguing that certain treaty language on otherworldly artifacts of techmaturgical significance entitled it to the “Mirrorwater” which has appeared. This claim was adjudged plausible, and Piltover was permitted to join the competition.

Tamaccius, venerable seer of the League gifted with arcane insight, was appointed to classify this “Mirrorwater” for purposes of describing it in the competition document. He says the strange pool of liquid silver light spoke to him.

TO THE STRONGEST

it said.

And so the battle has begun!

~ ~ ~

From an out-of-universe perspective: although we're launching with just four factions, to avoid splitting people up too much, on May 1 I'll open a new community-wide poll to decide on a new faction to add. (These first four factions were chosen by a similar poll.) After that poll is finished, the members of the victorious faction from the "Mirrorwater" arc will get an internal vote to decide on a second new faction. Once these new factions are added, people will be given an opportunity to switch allegiances if they so choose.

(Lore consult credit for this post to Arcolyte)

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2013

Next story update:

Piltover Rallies?
The first update, which illustrates how player activity shapes the plot. I saw that (1) Piltover was getting wrecked (2) the Piltoverian Summoners were doing a lot of strategy work building toward a poke comp. So, I decided to write a quick story update that incorporated this. I also figured they needed a bit of help (at the time, they were DRAMATICALLY behind all other factions), and so I used this story update to introduce a new ally, Janna, who would synergize with their poke comp plans.

MathMage

03-14-2013

Fantastic.

CupcakeTrap

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Fantastic.
Thanks! I wrote it in literally like 5 minutes, but it provides some sort of storyline. (I actually preferred the "Prism Shard" story I wrote for the Demacia vs. Zaun matches way back when.)

cft24

04-06-2013

Awesome

CupcakeTrap

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cft24 View Post
Awesome
Pleased that you like it!

the game dealer

05-14-2013

ionia needs more champs.... we are getting ****ed up by demacia please

CupcakeTrap

05-23-2013

Updated with an index! This arc is over, so I've gathered together all the lore/gameplay updates and indexed them in the OP.

cheesemans back

02-03-2014

yay this looks cool