Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StriderXplosive

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainridewithme View Post
What if, we use all the system together? hear me out, Lets have another point system on how well they do on the roles, for eg I have 26 points on adc and 100 points on AP Mid ( cap is 200 ) this shows how good I am at a particular lane. When the que is setup we are taken to a room with 2mins strategy discussion and role planning, during that players are allowed to switch role, imagine someone with 20 points picked adc with a different player who has picked AP mid but has 16 points but has 170 points on adc and the 20 points player has 120 on AP mid. During the discussion if everyone is alright with it or if someone QQ's the people in the room can votekick on him. If majority does'nt kick then well suck it up. you cant please yourself with everything. Players can switch roles in the game . THIS WILL REDUCE TOXICITYDHAFH ( cant spell) and everyone will be happy.
Not a bad idea.

chadus

03-13-2013

I think that there are a lot of players out there with good attitudes, and it is extremely refreshing when you solo que and actually get lucky enough to be paired with four other reasonable people. It is very rare that I lose a game when the pre-game lobby goes well and everyone agrees on their specified roles. Personally I try my best to fill during solo que, however I do believe in pick order.

I read a lot of the main points of the thread but not all of it (It's 122 pages, that is quite a bit to read), so forgive me if this has been said before.

A potential idea that could help facilitate teamwork: Place a 60 second pre-game lobby before picks and bans. You are still matched with your team and against an opposing team, but you all have 60 seconds to figure out what role everyone wants and who you want to ban etc... I would gladly increase the lobby time by 60 seconds to give my team and I more time to figure out what we will be doing (Keep penalties the same as they are).

My second point is for riot to take a stance on pick order. When riot first introduced the honour system, I personally noticed a HUGE difference in peoples overall attitudes. People were trying to show good behavior to receive these honor points and get these very cool banners etc.. If riot officially states that pick order has priority, it will have a huge positive impact on the pre-game lobbies. People will realize that as a lower pick they have the responsibility to 'fill'. People also need to realize that the way they are matched is random (I think) so no one is higher or lower in the pick order more often. Therefore when they are high pick, they can choose who they want to play, but when they are low pick they have to negotiate and fill in the role that is needed for the team.

Hopefully some red eyes can see this!

StriderXplosive

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacyf View Post
Just limit smurfing.
And magically you already salved issue with people not caring about bans and tribunal. becouse while banned they cant smurf !
This= no returning customers which= less $$$ for Riot.

TacticalJR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

I like the idea of queuing into roles such as: Top, mid, bot adc, bot support, jungler because it removes the fuss. It will also encourage more people to try support because I assure you that if this system were to be implemented, the number of people queuing into support would be the least, and those who want easy games would queue into support.

Skernan

03-13-2013

#2 as an optional modifier could work.

#3 with the chance to reform sounds great to me.

Sabortoothsloth

03-13-2013

The idea on the WoW dungeon finder queue, would be the best route to take. Now hear me out.

When one enters Champ Select firt thing people do is call, "Top", "Mid", "Adc", "Jungle", or "Support". Very few ever lead with a friendly "Hello All". All they care about is getting their role they most like to play (usualy b/c they believe they r best there and can carry)

Now it was stated the con to the WoW queue would b "Meta Play" making the game very cookie cutter and not offering new ideas. But one can still do that with this system. Ex. Top: Doesnt mean bruiser, theres a wide varity to chose from, it doesnt rly matter if one picks Ren or Vlad to go their, they wantd top so they got it, n they r happy. Now the other roles r the same, jus b/c u pick said role doesnt mean u have X list of champs to choose from. Even if one has the idea to lane swap with Bot to go Top, they can still do that even though they queued "Adc" and "Support" all it takes is communication and waying out the pro's and con's of doing so, and if the "Top" is comfortable in a 2v1.

Just b/c u call or "Queue" for said lanes, doesnt require u to play X champ. Or even play said lane. Talk it out. And i believe that since everyone got said role they wantd (resulting in said champ wanted) they are more willing to talk about actual ideas and strats to win instead of agrueing.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-13-2013
45 of 55 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatedTitan View Post
Just a thought.

What about showing a player's W/L with each champ? You could go further and divide champs into certain roles they play and combie the W/L into different roles as well.

People always think they're the best until there is solid proof that they're wrong.
We will most likely not present Win/Loss stats for Champions in Champ Select. This encourages players to focus on one or two champions that have a decent win rate, and they are bullied and harassed if they choose a champion they have little experience with.

We want players to enjoy as many champions as they want, without the stress or fear being harassed for trying a 'new' champion for the first time.

Players also have inaccurate perceptions of Win/Loss. Statistically, having a 0-2 Win/Loss record on a champion really doesn't mean anything; however, many players will use it as a reason to harass the player into choosing a different champion.

Asakyun

03-13-2013

below a red

cft24

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cft24 View Post
OK found others with similar suggestions as mine

My one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cft24 View Post
OK Lyte I would like to throw in my suggestion (or add my support if this has already been make):

When queuing for a game, instead of matching 10 players together, match 5 together into a team and they enter a lobby similar to a premade team lobby.

Then there will be a one minute interval where all players in the team must click a "I'm ready" button for them to enter another queue which matches them with another team of 5, or a "I'm not ready" button to leave the lobby, putting the rest of the team back in to the queue for 5.

There will be no penalty to leave the team lobby, but once players have all clicked "I'm ready" then leaving will count as a queue dodge and penalties apply.

This interval is the time for the players to discuss the team composition, or to choose another team if they decide they would not like to play with the current players.

This means overall queue times will increase however each game that starts succesfully will be a game where everyone will enjoy more.

Others:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrubbythethird View Post
At the risk of making an idiotic suggestion... I had an idea I've been toying with.

What if it was made so that when you enter solo queu, you get matched up with four other people, but you aren't faced with a team. So, you get put with four other people, and are given more time to talk to each other and figure out roles, but you don't get matched with another team to do picks / bans until you have a "Ready Check" like they do for raids in WoW. So until everyone checks the "Ready" button, or a set amount of time has passed (Significantly longer than the ~2-3 minutes we have in queu atm) you're just in a lobby talking to your potential 4 teammates.

and the red reply to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Not really an idiotic suggestion, we've talked about something similar before. It does add a pretty hefty barrier to entry (more time before your game starts), but is a solution largely aimed at resolving time pressure and allowing for teams to ensure chemistry.

another one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Sniper View Post
So i have been thinking about this with a friend on the way to his house to do some of our own game development and here is a solution we came up with.

Group 5 random people with similar ELO. Essentially you want to group two groups of 5 with similar elo so you can pit them against each other.

Put these people in a chat room with their names as player 1, player 2, etc... So they cant look you up on LOLking.

Put the vote kick button in here and also put a timer in here of say 2 minutes. Allow the people to talk about what they are wanting to play and get to know each other and the positions they want to play.

Give them a ready button and a leave button A small penalty for leaving depending on how fast they leave within the 2 minutes. after the two minutes are up if not all 5 have said ready give them 10 more seconds to hit ready.

Now this is the kicking system. If they dont hit ready after the 10 seconds kick them from team but dont disband the team, Do the same thing if 4 of 5 feel like kicking the 5th player. Key here is to not disband team. send in another random and give them 1 or 2 more minutes to talk with this guy probably 2 minutes.

If they kick a total of 2 or 3 people then disband their team because they are most likely looking for one role say mid and will continue to kick until they get one.

Now you go to champion select with your 5 once a team has been made, along with another 5 obviously.

You can finally show names and people can pick what they want as they are doing currently maybe decrease timers between stages.

Make the dodge penalty in here SEVERE. And remove the vote-kick button. This should make people show more trust in their teammate who most likely knows what they are doing. and reduce people from dodging because i picked rammus support who i could be a beastly support with.

Edit: This is a Strict Ranked system it would need to be adjusted a lot for normals.
Just reposting this

WarMenace

03-13-2013

How about this...

Instead of just simple role/lane picks like in WoW. How about we do a better version where not only we pre select our role but we also pre select our champ.. Than we we que up all the other players who que'd up get a notification about what the other team mates are requesting and chose to accept to join that team or move on to the next.

For example I want to top lane as Jayce, So I que up select top as my preferred lane and Jayce and my preferred champ. I hit the que button and within lets say 30 secs I get a popup telling me what the other people that I got paired up with want. If I or they accept than we move onto palying with each other.

If one of us doesn't like what the other lanes are wanting as their champs than they can decline and move on to the next team comp popup. That's just my suggestion hope I explained it well enough and gets seen by reds