Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Viro Melchior

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
RL context isn't an excuse for players to behave negatively or in a toxic way; however, RL context is an important variable that designers need to consider when designing a game because RL context can influence how players play the game.

The question is, "Is it possible to design a game feature that reduces the impact of RL context?"
If there was a button for "I've had a really hard day, and I want to play just to screw around, but I don't want to do custom games because you get no IP for them, please match me with other players who just want to screw around", I'd use it. Not often, but sometimes.

Usually I just play Teemo.
Or Heimerdinger.

Or cave in and go play ARAM, and deal with the fact that I'm getting almost no IP for it.

meadow

03-13-2013

Quote:
RL context isn't an excuse for players to behave negatively or in a toxic way; however, RL context is an important variable that designers need to consider when designing a game because RL context can influence how players play the game.

The question is, "Is it possible to design a game feature that reduces the impact of RL context?"
And what kind of game feature did you had in mind?

I can't possible comprehend how something would come into LoL that can prevent or diminish RL effects on the Summoners playstyle... Especially if the Summoner in question wants to be entertained by a game it likes to play?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-13-2013
33 of 55 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkhon View Post
Still nothing on whether or not Riot even acknowledges what adding pregame and post game chat to tribunal would do. Seems typical at this point, answer the posts they don't agree with and ignore the logical ones.
I talked about pre- and post-game chat in this thread:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...41421#35541421

Hennedo

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
This is pretty interesting. I suspect you'd want the system to automatically provide popular templates or the like in order to not create a giant burden on new players.
Some sample templates, yeah, but I wouldn't want everything set to specific templates that I would then choose from. Since emergence (of comps, builds, etc.) is a goal, it would need to have some of the pieces that make up the templates (role, lane, etc.) that could then be mix and matched. That flexibility/intelligibility issue would be the place where good design could really shine.

Mat Cauthon

03-13-2013

I just wanted to add an observation. When it comes to the LCS, players are advertised as playing certain roles for a team. For example, "Scarra, mid player for Dignitas" or "Aphromoo, Support player for CLG." I think this reinforces in a lot of player's minds that the game is supposed to be played with that composition, even when the pros themselves often lane swap or do non-traditional lane pairings.

However, I think Riot is sending some mixed signals when on the one hand Lyte says that queueing by role would enforce a certain way to play the game, which Riot doesn't want, while on the other hand the official Riot LCS website is happy enough to adhere to the current meta when identifying players within each team.

Mayan Snipe Jock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

Have you guys considered something like the WoW system, but where you choose your champion not just your role?

Basically you would have the option to queue as a captain, or as a mercenary:

Captains:

The captain would be entered into a lobby against another captain, both would pick and ban for the entire team composition. In addition to picking each of the champions used, the Captain could click on one of the champions down the sides to designate the role that champion would fill in the team, (Top, Mid, Bot, Jungler, Other).

Mercenaries:

The Mercenary queue would allow a player to select a champion, and then select the roles they can fill with that champion, they would then be match-made with a Captain who had constructed a team using that champion/role combination.

Pros:

- Sometimes players are specifically good at a small subset of champions, normally the attitude for ranked is that these players shouldn't play ranked due to lack of experience, but with this system, you can queue to only play a certain subset of champions.

- Captains can create team compositions that make sense, you can create a team composition that includes, wave clear, strong level 1, and many other aspects of a composition that player's are not in control of in the current draft system.

- It takes almost all of the interactions out of champion select, an area most players deem to be where trolling begins, and sets the tone for the rest of the game.

- If anyone other than the captain dodges once players arrive in the spaces of the lobby, that champion slot need only find another player, rather than the lobby having to close.

- It's pretty much impossible for anyone to lock in a 'troll pick' such as Master Yi support because no captain in their right mind would ever create a team incorporating one.

Cons:

- Players who enjoy playing off the wall champions / non-standard roles with said champions could have very high queue times. (Having said this they could always create their own captain lobby to pick it for themselves!)

- It makes it harder for players to learn about team compositions if they are not the captain, as they don't have to work with their team to come to a conclusion about who to pick, and more importantly why that pick makes sense.

- It opens up a new avenue to players to flame by making the captain take all of the flak for the team's performance (Be it true or untrue).

- It gives players another 'out' when it comes to explaining why their rating is lower than they believe it should be, "Man, these past few games I've had such awful captains, how can I carry someone who makes a team composition using Pantheon Mid!"

In all, I believe this system would be pretty cool I hope Lyte and co. get an opportunity to see it and respond!

---

Osigalas, EUW

donjuan85

03-13-2013

@Lyte and @Davin

I have voiced my opinion about option #2 quite extensively on the lol subreddit. There are few problems that I see with this implementation, but overall I see it as the "best shot."

1. Duo que. Let's say that I want to run support with my friend and he wants to adc. We both know that usually it will take 45 seconds for a support to find a group, and it will take an adc 3-4 minutes. Would this duo group take a preferential spot in the que because they are a team? Or would they be bogged down in the long que times due to the friend wanting a popular position?

2. Trolls. They rustle every jimmy I have. Every damn one. This is where vote kick + role finder would be perfection. If everyone ques up together, but someone decides to take a role they didn't que up for... BAM. KICKED! This would make the lobby much easier. Heck.. It would make the game more competitive and in return more enjoyable.

Now I say this. I have no idea how this would go down with your coding team. I know little to nothing about writing code, well besides the free ruby on rails tutorial I did... I feel like this would be something of epic proportion. Something my grandfather once told me might help, "DonJuan, if it were easy, then everyone would do it." I know this is going to be a pain the backside, but we all appreciate everything you guys are doing to make the lobby run smother. <3 x10000000

Wards win games

03-13-2013

What about more suddle options? Less aimed at changing the flow of champion select, but more restrictions/visibility on the negative players end?

Give the player the ability to see how frequently he's reported, maybe a visual indicator in the matchmaking lobby percentage based or otherwise. (Not shown across the entire lobby, as then people would gang up on folks with a poor percentage, but a value only the player can see.)

Different report % ratios could correlate to IP gains for the player.
I.E reported in 50% of your games, only gain 50% of IP earned.
+25-50% IP gained if your report ratio is low ( <5% of players find your a negative impact etc)

BTripp

03-13-2013

Quote:

1) Vote Kick | Players want the ability to vote kick toxic players from Champ Select.
2) WoW Dungeon Finder | Players want the ability to queue up for a particular role like “Healer” and “DPS” and placed into a Champ Select with a team
3) Prisoner’s Island | Players want matchmaking to pair toxic players with toxic players, and positive players with positive players.

What are some pros and cons to these ideas? Would they work for League?
I just want to say that these are generally terrible and easily abused ideas. Unless they manifest in a much different form than their existing counterparts I never want to see any of these features in this game whatsoever.

I would rather put up with the current system (which is not nearly as flawed as people make it out to be, it is just easier to recall being trolled than all the games you did not get trolled) than have people abusing vote kick or going in to queue with the mindset that they will only play one role.

Chrix

03-13-2013

still no stance on pick order or call order smh