Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hydrochoerus

03-13-2013

I like #2. I mean yes its enforcing the meta but we usually have 4 other people in your team also enforcing it most likely

tenshi39

Recruiter

03-13-2013

What if, instead of immediately going into champion select, you allow players to talk for 30-60 seconds beforehand, discuss which roles or champions they want to play, and decide a pick order based on that. That way, the players can know in general what the picks will be before being forced to choose, nobody has to worry about first pick, and you still get the added strategy of alternating champion selections.

EmperialGoddess

03-13-2013

Very good ideas, Lyte. But I have some questions and some info.
1) Vote Kick- This is a good idea, but you would have to prevent pre-mades from having too much power. Perhaps, pre-mades votes won't count as much. We all have been in lobbies where 4 man pre-mades have ruined a game for us.

2) WoW Dungeon Finder- I think this is the safest route. You enter a lobby with your designated role/roles. But to prevent queues from having a long wait time people should select the first 2 or 3 roles they would rather have.

3) Prisonerís Island- A good idea in theory, But how would one get out of prison? What is thw ratios from toxic player to positive players? Would force people to have to go through longer queue waits? Would putting the bad with the bad really makes things better? Or would their behavior still continue?
Maybe to counter this you could have some certain player chosen by you to volunteer an account to promoting good behavior when they're in "prison" Like, a sheriff or guard.

davin

Senior User Researcher

03-13-2013
18 of 55 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viro Melchior View Post
This thread exploded so fast. I think my posts got buried, even though I spent a lot of time, especially on the 1st.

Hope you're getting good input here Lyte + Davin.
We are It's a really busy thread, so we can't reply to everyone, but we are reading like crazy. Thank you for everyone's thoughts, we'll be in for a good bit longer. Marathoooon.

xRustySpoon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

I don't actually like the "WoW Dungeon Finder" solution. When I queue up for ranked, I normally don't have a preference for what I play. If we need a top this particular game, I'll play top with no problems. If the next game someone calls top, mid, and jungler, I'll gladly play ADC and do just as fine as I did top lane. I don't want to be forced into deciding what role I'm going to play before I even find a game.

Ask Tyrant Swain

03-13-2013

Just a suggestion, but could we have a report option in champ select?
When a player is reported quite often he gets a text ban, where he isn't allowed to use the chat for 30 seconds after entering champ select? The ban lasting a day or two.
Those players, aside from feeling shameful even though others can not see if they're text banned, would also feel powerless to the team composition. Taking away power from the bully for a short time tends to open his eyes.
Would work like a mini, semi-harmless, tribunal.

SlightlySuicidal

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanKeaton259 View Post
I would just like to add that if you are last pick in ranked, you really don't get to decide the way the game is going to be played. The first 4 picks have decided for better or worse how the game is going to be played.

Your role as a last pick is to support your team by picking things that compliment their choices. This is what a team game is all about and I think a lot of people either forget or refuse to accept this fact.
Agreed completely. This would be solved so simply if it was "respect higher picks" or even a /roll functionality to resolve disputes.

A wow dungeon finder idea is the worst that they could do from a gameplay standpoint. You'd end up driving heaps of players away who get bored doing the same things game in and game out. This isn't a WoW instance despite the mass influx of ex-wow players who came because they were ticked at their last game. This is a MOBA and should be treated as such.

ShootyMcGunshot

03-13-2013

Why does RL-context matter?
Just because someone has had a bad day should be no excuse for them to start raging at somebody.

If I have a bad day at work and come home and beat my wife would I get away with it just because I had a bad day? Hell no.

If someone comes into the game and is an arse they should be justly reported & warned.

Cyraknoss

03-13-2013

One thing that wasn't among Lyte's original 3 options for improvement that would go a VERY long way to improving champion select lobby is including the pregame chat in the Tribunal. There's an absolutely enormous amount of people who use the fact that pregame chat doesn't make it into the tribunal to get their way in champ select. It has gotten so bad that when I queue for ranked I typically have to have the following sentence copy pasted. "I can't stop you from troll picking but if you're going to be a jerk I'll happily sacrifice my LP to send you to the tribunal." Thankfully I rarely have to sacrifice my LP as 90% of the people I'm forced to use that on aren't willing to sit through a loss only to get reported just because they called mid 4th, didn't get it, and then declared they were going to duo mid as AD Veigar. Adding pregame chat into tribunal would help a lot, not solve everything just like the tribunal itself hasn't but it'd be a step in the right direction.

TheArsynist

03-13-2013

Add Tribunal logs. Let people choose what roles they wanted to play before they enter Queue.