@ Lyte: what is your next step

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

vadd

03-13-2013

Hey Lyte, I sent a support ticket your way a little while ago that turns out to be somewhat relevant to this issue; hopefully you have some time to check it out.
Thanks.

Dreggon

03-13-2013

I wonder how quickly toxicity would vanish if you lost one rune from your runepage every time you got temp banned by the tribunal

Holymamalama

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreggon View Post
I wonder how quickly toxicity would vanish if you lost one rune from your runepage every time you got temp banned by the tribunal
Or lost a whole rune page...

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-13-2013
11 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holymamalama View Post
Wouldn't there be a way were we would have a hidden toxic rating based on how much we get reported? And based of that rating you get paired with people the same rating? So Nice people with nice people. Bad guys with bad guys
This is known as Prisoner's Island internally. I believe this is a bad idea for League of Legends; however, it's a pretty massive discussion.

If you consider what I mentioned about the vast majority of the playerbase being neutral or positive but everyone having occasional bad days, you can start to dig into why Prisoner's Island might create a vicious divide in the population that hurts far more players than it helps.

EbonyJim

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Many developers told me the same thing. "It's impossible to stop occasional rage--you can't shape context outside the game. You can't shape how players are feeling when they enter your game."

We're going to try. It's not going to be easy, and we might not succeed. But I think if we're going to break the perception that toxic behavior and online gaming go hand-in-hand, we have to take pretty big risks and try things that have never been done before in science or games. Even if it doesn't work out, the lessons we'll learn will be worthwhile for the entire industry.
Does this have anything to do with Z.A.C. ....

Oh ****. We're next.

DeanKeaton259

03-13-2013

Also, l would just like to add that I don't believe that the really toxic players are able to "chill for a few games" to game any system that is in place.

They clearly have issues with anger, so they need the notifications when they are reported more than anyone else so they can learn to control themselves. If these players really had the self control to step back and chill for any number of games they would never be banned at all.

I just really don't understand how it's a good system to not give the toxic player any sort of feedback until they get really close to being banned. People need to learn how to avoid being reported. It's a lot easier for them to learn if they receive constant feedback on how they're doing.

TheWildHamBeast

03-13-2013

Lyte why are you up so late? =( Good job on everything by the way!

Adeafpony

03-13-2013

Quote:
When players get their warning, it's attached to a Reform Card that outlines some chat logs and reports that led to their warning. This amount of feedback may not be enough, but it's a start.

Hackulator is right though. Anytime you show boundaries and a 'status bar,' players do their best to game the system and skirt that fine line. Some players might see the bar and go, "Ok, I can troll and leave X games... oh wait, my bar is almost full. Time to chill for a few games." This might sound fine in concept, until you realize that overall, we've introduced more toxicity than we've removed.
Aren't they behaving though? Give the decay time a really long time. If it takes 2 weeks to decay where you can have one game of raging at someone before you reach your limit again, isn't that say better than someone getting banned making a smurf and just continuing the rage and hate but even more so upset because they lost their main account?

Harib

03-13-2013

Quote:
This is known as Prisoner's Island internally. I believe this is a bad idea for League of Legends; however, it's a pretty massive discussion.

If you consider what I mentioned about the vast majority of the playerbase being neutral or positive but everyone having occasional bad days, you can start to dig into why Prisoner's Island might create a vicious divide in the population that hurts far more players than it helps.
While permanent prion island would be terrible, it would be actually interesting to make a "prison island event". For acouple of days tweak matchmaking to place toxic players with toxic players and give them a taste of their own medicane. Maybe some would see how bad they behave, when all else behave the same around them.

Though I guess it would take too much manpower and risks to alter matchmaking just for a couple of days, to "teach a lesson".

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-13-2013
12 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHamBeast View Post
Lyte why are you up so late? =( Good job on everything by the way!
I'm giving some talks in Boston and San Francisco and doing some preparation work. I've been so busy that I haven't had time to talk to players about player behavior and where we're headed... so I'm just doing my part. After all, we can't fix player behavior alone. Players are the ones that can make a difference in this culture.