The rune page system is one of the most anti-fun elements of this game.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emosa

03-12-2013

Riot has already said that they're looking into making rune pages more accessible by decreasing IP cost / having RP sales on them.

Ex: I believe they had get 2 for the price of 1 sale a few months ago.

Cleaner22

03-12-2013

bump

Hadosen

03-12-2013

What's with the cocky attitude in your edits such as "EDIT #8: 550 upvotes...anytime now. EDIT #9: 600 upvotes Riot. You waiting for 1000?". Just relax. Riot reads everything in these forums and I can promise you that they have seen this thread and are most likely talking about it within the dev team. Until they have a solid solution or find a reasonable option of change, they aren't going to make a statement yet. They might not even see a need for change at all and they're working on negotiating some sort of meet in the middle solution. Either way, stop asking for them to post within the thread, they will soon enough.

Edit: Speak of the devil and he shall appear

Twissa

03-12-2013

I quit lol once because of the runes. I was lvl 29, close to 30 and I had 0 IP in my name. I had nobody to tell me "hey, you should buy runes, they're important". Was winning like 70-100 IP per won match, and I did a little math and realised that I needed 12k IP for completing a rune page. More than 60% of my oponents already had runes so it was difficult for me to play against them early game and I mained LB and early is everything for LB. I couldn't burst my oponents, didn't get fed, my early game was **** my mid was more difficult than it should and late game...well it's LeBlanc. So...I had to play 120 games and win in order to buy the runes and don't have a disadvantage against my enemies. Got depressed and quit.

I decided to start from 0 and save for runes, but I'm still pissed about this system. I'm lvl 16 and I'm starting to save but the thing is...I need a ****load of money if I want to be able to play without disadvantages in every position. Rune pages are freaking expensive if you don't have RP and I need more money for buy more runes. So I have to decide what do I want to play. I like to play AP mid but I'd also like to play other things (because I can have mid every game) which I can't because I can't buy champions for other roles, no IP for champions...I HAVE to save for runes if I want to reach lvl 30 and be head to head with my oponents. I need at least 2 rune pages for playing AP mid. I need another if I want to play an ADC and I need to buy more runes, like 9k more ( I should be owning armor runes already ) plus the 6300 of the freaking rune page, etc.

I'd think about buying RP, but in my country we have no prepaid cards, dollar is quite expensive and we have trouble buying them. Plus I have no bank account because **** banks so I'd have to open a bank account in order to expend a ****load of real money to buy RP.
I really hope they change this system, but they wont.

Greetings from Argentina, and sorry for my grammar.

Xyanyde

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

QA Analyst

03-12-2013
1 of 7 Riot Posts

Well then. "This is pretty disappointing. At this point I'd almost rather have a Red post that this is a topic not to be discussed rather than continuing to be ignored. It's clear that this is a popular topic amongst others."

I'm a Red. I'd like to discuss this topic. It's not to be ignored even if it is a popular topic.

1. Rune pages can be bought with RP as well as IP. Even if you unlock 20 pages with RP, that doesn't mean that you instantly gain the runes that need to be placed into those pages. You aren't purchasing power at all honestly.

2. "I mean, how many times have you seen pros dodge in tournaments or scrims" I personally have literally denied pros at the multiple LCS (NA and EU) events from dodging just to make new rune pages "according to their lane match up." (Mouzsports during the EU Season 3 Live Qualifiers and more notably CLG during week 1 against TSM. I actually made Hotshot GG play against Dyrus top lane with ZERO RUNES because he didn't utilize his set up time to create rune pages. CLG won that game by the way with their runeless top laner.) "It's just silly." I agree. If you need to dodge to make a rune page, you should have to deal with the same penalty that every other player does.

3. If you don't want to spend money... Don't! Rune pages are purchasable with Influence Points. Even before I was a Rioter, I made sure that I had full Rune Pages for each Champion that I would play for every role without spending RP for the pages themselves. I made sure I had Rune Pages for each role ready before I even stepped into ranked games not just for myself but for my fellow players to be sure I was bringing my best to each and every game I played.

I understand where you are coming from but we have even had a 2 for 1 Rune Page sale in the past. I agree that having an extra Rune Page in your arsenal is useful, arguably just as much as having an additional Champion. As such, I'd say that having a Rune Page at the same IP value as a Champion is fair.

Shaded Memory

03-12-2013

upvoted and bumped good sir!

Verotes

03-12-2013

Rune pages are kinda stupid

Hadosen

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Xyanyde View Post
Well then. "This is pretty disappointing. At this point I'd almost rather have a Red post that this is a topic not to be discussed rather than continuing to be ignored. It's clear that this is a popular topic amongst others."

I'm a Red. I'd like to discuss this topic. It's not to be ignored even if it is a popular topic.

1. Rune pages can be bought with RP as well as IP. Even if you unlock 20 pages with RP, that doesn't mean that you instantly gain the runes that need to be placed into those pages. You aren't purchasing power at all honestly.

2. "I mean, how many times have you seen pros dodge in tournaments or scrims" I personally have literally denied pros at the multiple LCS (NA and EU) events from dodging just to make new rune pages "according to their lane match up." (Mouzsports during the EU Season 3 Live Qualifiers and more notably CLG during week 1 against TSM. I actually made Hotshot GG play against Dyrus top lane with ZERO RUNES because he didn't utilize his set up time to create rune pages. CLG won that game by the way with their runeless top laner.) "It's just silly." I agree. If you need to dodge to make a rune page, you should have to deal with the same penalty that every other player does.

3. If you don't want to spend money... Don't! Rune pages are purchasable with Influence Points. Even before I was a Rioter, I made sure that I had full Rune Pages for each Champion that I would play for every role without spending RP for the pages themselves. I made sure I had Rune Pages for each role ready before I even stepped into ranked games not just for myself but for my fellow players to be sure I was bringing my best to each and every game I played.

I understand where you are coming from but we have even had a 2 for 1 Rune Page sale in the past. I agree that having an extra Rune Page in your arsenal is useful, arguably just as much as having an additional Champion. As such, I'd say that having a Rune Page at the same IP value as a Champion is fair.
I feel that a reasonable solution would be to increase the starting pages to something like 4-5 so that you can cover all of the roles. The real problem I have with these rune pages is that 2 is extremely limiting for playstyle. I have a basic AD page and a basic AP page, if I was last to pick and my team needed a tanky jungler then I would already be at a distinct disadvantage over my enemies because both of my rune pages are focused more on the AD carry and AP carry roles. I don't have the numbers and I'm sure you at Riot do, but I'm pretty sure there are several people who are capable of reaching Diamond league with just the two standard rune pages. They aren't exactly necessary, but they help the player feel more comfortable when forced into a role that they aren't usually prepared for. I have to own what, like 16 champions just to play ranked at level 30 and buy two full tier 3 rune sets on top of that if I want to be relevant within the game. That is an extremely heavy stress load on my IP income just to prepare for ranked play, let alone saving a bonus 6300 on top of that with different runes to go along with that page. There is just way too much IP taxation going on there and it'd take months to save up that much IP playing at a rate of say 3-4 hours a day. Just starting with additional rune pages would greatly help speed up the preparation process involved with getting comfortable with your champions and their rune pages.

Lawltimate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrċ View Post
I feel that a reasonable solution would be to increase the starting pages to something like 4-5 so that you can cover all of the roles.
I was going to suggest 2 being a bit low, but I think starting at 3 would be a lot more reasonable.

Solari Brigadier

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Xyanyde View Post

Isn't the ability to dodge and change your runes legal in LoL Tournament Rules? I'm pretty sure one caster or another said that.