Is subninja new at riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

03-08-2013
12 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempname950 View Post
You didn't tell me what your job entails What does a 'technical designer' do? Like, what is your job description? I know everyone at Riot more or less does a little bit of everything if they have the skills to do so, but for what purpose were you hired?
Technical designers are designers who doesn't slap things together using duct tape and twine. Non-technical designer specialize in persuading technical designers to help them make their hacky prototypes work.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rôper

Senior Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
Technical designers are designers who doesn't slap things together using duct tape and twine. Non-technical designer specialize in persuading technical designers to help them make their hacky prototypes work.
So awesome! I'd like to hear your take on politics.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Method512

Senior Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by subninja View Post
Eh I dunno. If you're the right person, at the right company, it's not too hard to get help with this. I'm pretty confident almost every studio would do relocation + visa assistance stuff. The issue is they may be less likely to do that for junior level positions.

For me, I worked at Ubisoft as an AI programmer for about 2 years before coming to Riot.
You worked at Ubisoft? :0 In which games? And what was your position there?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Fizznity

Senior Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rper View Post
So awesome! I'd like to hear your take on politics.
I would think the designer of Darius's opinion would be "dunk everyone and establish a strength-based government =p"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

subninja

Champion Designer

03-08-2013
13 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
Technical designers are designers who doesn't slap things together using duct tape and twine. Non-technical designer specialize in persuading technical designers to help them make their hacky prototypes work.
That hits close to home :O


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Real Rawr

Senior Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by subninja View Post
That hits close to home :O
If I wanted to become a game designer (specifically for Riot) what would you recommend I learn and get into?

Would appreciate any input and insight. Really, anything, I also am interesting in drawing although I currently am awful at doing so, but practice makes perfect.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

subninja

Champion Designer

03-08-2013
14 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Rawr View Post
If I wanted to become a game designer (specifically for Riot) what would you recommend I learn and get into?

Would appreciate any input and insight. Really, anything, I also am interesting in drawing although I currently am awful at doing so, but practice makes perfect.
I would recommend that you start making games. No, for real. As I mentioned earlier, there are a ton of really good (easy to use) tools that you can use to get started. Make games, analyze games that you play, find out what makes them fun, what makes them not fun, etc. But it'll be a lot easier to get into the industry if you can prove that you're passionate enough to actually go out and make something.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Farstride

Senior Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
I would recommend that you start making games. No, for real. As I mentioned earlier, there are a ton of really good (easy to use) tools that you can use to get started. Make games, analyze games that you play, find out what makes them fun, what makes them not fun, etc. But it'll be a lot easier to get into the industry if you can prove that you're passionate enough to actually go out and make something.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tempname950

Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by subninja View Post
I would recommend that you start making games. No, for real. As I mentioned earlier, there are a ton of really good (easy to use) tools that you can use to get started. Make games, analyze games that you play, find out what makes them fun, what makes them not fun, etc. But it'll be a lot easier to get into the industry if you can prove that you're passionate enough to actually go out and make something.
Is it a matter of 'the deeper and more complex, the better'? Or what do you look at when you look at personal projects done by the people you interview.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davin

Senior User Researcher

03-08-2013
15 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subninja View Post
I would recommend that you start making games. No, for real. As I mentioned earlier, there are a ton of really good (easy to use) tools that you can use to get started. Make games, analyze games that you play, find out what makes them fun, what makes them not fun, etc. But it'll be a lot easier to get into the industry if you can prove that you're passionate enough to actually go out and make something.
This times a billion. It can't be stated enough. If you care about a thing, do that thing. Don't just wish you could do the thing. Do it.