So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrismMage

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wen Bin View Post
Is she gonna be receiving any other changes than that of her looks, like small buffs to fit her into the meta-game more?
shes getting entirely reworked

Rahzamel

03-07-2013

Omfg!!!!!!!! I love karma so much i can wait for this to happen finally my prayers have been heard my best champ will be even more awsome!!!!!!!

IdkMyBffSatan

03-07-2013

Talk about bad karma..

Paxafarus

03-07-2013

I'm really looking forward to this! I love playing Karma but was forced to learn to play other supports because of her overall lackluster abilities. Now hopefully I can play her without being scorned by my teammates!

DarklingWanders

03-07-2013

I am looking forward to this immensely. While I will miss the fans, as they were quirky and iconic, I feel that the new direction is a huge step forward. She looks far more primal and powerful, like a true sorceress and Queen, striding through the Fields of Justice and bending the forces of both Balance and Imbalance to her will.

Could any of you give us a sneak peek of what you've done to my lovely Sakura Karma. I can only imagine how gorgeous she will be.

Valenten

03-07-2013

Morello i just want to let you know that i think the new look is way better without the fans and i was an avid karma player for quite sometime. this also frees you up to make a new champion that uses fans maybe an ap burst champion or an actual support that uses fans instead of old karma who is just confused at what she is best at.

emTmyclipin2u

03-07-2013

i just had an excellent idea. Why don't you just release this champion as a completely new character, called Dharma (Hinduism reference) and simply buff the old karma. I thought all karma needed was a slight skill buff anyways as she still is good in the right hands. The problem with all the champs on the rework list is that there is a champion who does their job better. Why would you play heimerdinger when zyra has the same area control with more mobility? I have actually seen karma top played competitively in a protect the kog maw composition with kayle. Kog Maw died once in a 25 minute game. The problem is that no one really understands what karma does in solo que and therefore she is bad at her job. The same was seen with thresh when he came out and all people knew was to click the lantern. The problem is that orianna is stronger than karma in most situations. More steady damage, her w provides more speed, and her ult has so much displacement. The only iconic part of karma, the R E combo, is strangely missing from the rework pages. I think part of the reason karma's win rate is so low is that people either think that karma can only be a troll pick and pick her to troll teammates, or don't even try because no matter what they will lose because of karma.
the problem I'm seeing recurring on both sides of this argument is that everyone is referring to this as new karma and old karma. If this were an actual rework instead of essentially a new champ with a karma skin there would only be karma. The problem is that even people that like this new champion cannot say that this is the same karma. When Annie got her visual rework there was no old Annie vs new Annie. Personally, I hate the way Annie looks now, but at least shes still Annie.
Essentially if you took this skin and showed it to me I would have said it was a very cool new champion. I never would have guessed that this what was to replace karma. I think the problem that people have is not that you made this new character, its that you're removing karma and putting it there instead. Saying that this champ and karma are the same is like saying orianna and ahri are the same because they both manipulate a ball.

/end rant... tune in tomorrow to hear my problem with rumble, the champion with the highest consistent win rate for the past five months.

Veelivar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-07-2013

So, having had time to walk away and think about it for a while.... I still hate the direction they're taking her personality.

But what I truly don't understand is how the new model makes her any more understandable or recognisable? Riot have always stated you should be able to tell something about the champ and her play style simply by looking at the model, but no where do I see an Enlightened Ionian leader support-mage in this skin.

Going off first, and second, glances, I would guess she is one of three things:

1) Mage - Voodoo lady, either a poisoner, or possessed by spirits.
The purple and green combo screams poison.
The glowing hands and eyes says "possessed" rather than "channeling my own power".

2) Mage - Electric caster.
I realise we already have Ryze, but the thing on her back, coupled with the bright blue/green colouring reminds me of a Jacobs Ladder.
The dragon on her leg is easily mistakable for a jagged lightning bolt.

3) AP Bruiser.
Her clothes say more AP than AD, but her stance and MK style clothing make it seem like she should be a Lee Sin/Irelia style character.

I'm sorry, but I'm failing to see, in any way, how remake is supposed to tell me she is an Ionian Enlightened.
They definitely hit on the aggression they wanted the new Karma to show, but in doing so they removed everything else that makes her her. She looks to be more "raw power" than anything.
Electricity and poison are both very raw, destructive and painful.

remeranAuthor

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Thanks - this is informative.

Because of the rig and how things "work" (shorthand), the fans won't be returning here, but I think that these might have been more important to some die-hard Karma fans than we originally thought.

As our first full overhaul, we want to make sure if there are additional considerations that we take them into account when approaching these. While our decisions can quite possibly at least put off a few players with this kind of stuff, it is food for thought next time.
So you really can't put the fans on Traditional Karma?

xNxExBxUxLxAx

03-07-2013

There goes our cool, calm and collected Karma. It's really unfortunate and I'm disappointed in Riot. Why a leader of a nation rife with struggles cares about showing of her skin and wearing sleazy outfits is beyond me. The fans, the dress, the strut, the voice - it was all very elegant. That's what stood out about her. This change, however, takes that all away and what is left is not satisfactory.

It's not the first signs of Riot shifting towards more flashy, yet poorly written characters. It looks like the lore is further undermined even though it is an integral part of what makes a character - and subsequently - what makes players want to play that character. It's important that this universe you create is believable to the audience. That includes having a wide array of personalities but Riot is trying to make every character the same. Btw, I think Karma's dress(the original) is absolutely beautiful. So much so that I'd like to have one made for myself. I love the yin/yang sort of theme which plays on that aspect of her character i.e maintaining balance.

It takes more than the sales pitch at the beginning of this thread to convince people in the long term that the changes are for the good. Especially the kind of people who would have been drawn toward Karma in the first place.

And don't go telling me "Well that's why we have the traditional skin". First of all, it's not the same but perhaps more importantly - it's the default skins that symbolize the design and the essence of a character. It has to be. I mean is Brolaf an imaginable character in the world of Runeterra? Let's not kid ourselves about that. Sure there is a place for skins, but not if takes away from the fabric of a character.

I truly am distraught that Karma - once thought of as wise, graceful, and composure encapsulated - will divert to, yet another, "I must releese ma innar powerz!!?!!"