So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yami arashi

03-07-2013

Isnīt Karma ionian? shouln't she use energy instead of mana? just asking... same questiion for irelia D:

Stark6000

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Thanks - this is informative.

Because of the rig and how things "work" (shorthand), the fans won't be returning here, but I think that these might have been more important to some die-hard Karma fans than we originally thought.

As our first full overhaul, we want to make sure if there are additional considerations that we take them into account when approaching these. While our decisions can quite possibly at least put off a few players with this kind of stuff, it is food for thought next time.

What about her other skins then? Can we expect a visual change to them as well? Her fans are a pretty large part of the art work in her non-standard skins.

Taria05

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark6000 View Post
What about her other skins then? Can we expect a visual change to them as well? Her fans are a pretty large part of the art work in her non-standard skins.
all of her skins will receive an update as well, just like with the other champs.

Letler

03-07-2013

I can't wait to play support Karma and not be at an extreme disadvantage. SO excited!!!

Ninth Belief

03-07-2013

I'm so proud of Riot right now.

HarryOrunitia

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
I am an incredible fan of Karma, but I can't, for the life of me, understand all the dismay over the loss of her fans. I've heard it described as Yi losing his sword, Caitlyn losing her rifle, etc., but it's really not the same at all.

Karma used her fans for one (1) spell. Just one. Her other powers, and the thing that drew us (or, at the very least, me) to her was Karma herself. Soul Shield is the manifestation of her protective soul and her matronly rage at those who attack what she holds dear; Spirit Bond is Karma using her own unshakable spirit to subdue that of her enemy and bolster that of her ally; Inner Flame is the fire of her indomitable will that does not, nay, REFUSES to be snuffed out, making her stronger as she grows weaker.

All of that comes from within Karma, the champion, the Paragon of Ionia, The Enlightened One. Not from fans.

Karma is the currency earned by choices. She guided Ionia through the darkness of the Noxian invasion, but the League is not a place to hold hands and talk. It is the last resort to settle issues, after the talk has been taken from the table. That is no place for a diplomat (unless you're Poppy). No, in order to protect Ionia in the most profound and important way she can, Karma CHOSE to take to the field. To be a warrior, to be a soldier, requires strength, which she has, but it also takes sacrifice.

You say this is not Karma. I disagree. I say this IS Karma, our first true glimpse of Karma and the inner might that she wields FROM Ionia, WITH Ionia, and FOR Ionia. Not fans.

Riot, I was a little worried, but my fears have been put to a tentative rest. Just hoping her kit is redone as well as her model.
The "she doesn't really use her fans in her kit" argument would be valid if we didn't have champions like Mordekaiser, Soraka and Sion in the game.

Also they could have just changed her kit, particles and animations (since her kit was actually the main problem, not her looks) so that the fans fit better into it, not do it the other way around like "oh I'll just make her kit and if the fans don't fit anymore I'll just take them away". That's just bad design. Having a champion without recognizable features/weapons/accessories, it's just bad design.

And don't tell me the jade dragons are original and recognizable because Irelia and the Lunar Revel Cassiopeia skin both have very similar accessories. Didn't Diana's skin get changed just because Syndra had a similar headpiece?

Also, I honestly don't care at all for characters who are just supposed to represent an idea, a nation, or an element in the lore. I like the champions to be PEOPLE with their memories, their characters, their humor, their different personalities. Karma's fans really meant something to her, they were what she chose to be the vessels of her power because they were a memento from her past. And they fit with her image of classy, collected politician.

Now she's just generic, an incredibly generic personification of Ionia with seemingly no personality of her own. Some people are excited because to them it looks better than the previous Karma, because they KNOW Karma, but if this were an entirely new champion announced today, would you still be excited? Would you even be able to tell exactly what role she's supposed to play? In the lore, or the game.

Look at how in the splash art they had to add those swirly green energy things around her hands. Why? Because they're EMPTY, and it looks weird if you don't cover it up somehow. It's just incredibly weird for a mage to be designed like that, it definitely looks more like a fighter kind of character, and I bet that's exactly the reason why a character like Soraka still has her scythe despite not using it AT ALL in her kit.

C4KE

03-07-2013

I think her passive is now going to be mantra, and her ult will be some sort of twin dragon move.

Konjiki ikaros

03-07-2013

Karma suck , w/e u do with her , i think if u just guys want to remake him and make an Op mider , well...we'll see how she work

Den Kuchen

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryOrunitia View Post
The "she doesn't really use her fans in her kit" argument would be valid if we didn't have champions like Mordekaiser, Soraka and Sion in the game.
Mordekaiser and Soraka are good examples here, but Sion is a horrible one to use. Sion's kit and lore have been as far removed as they could from each other for a long time. His lore mentions that he charges into battle swinging his massive axe (which they even gave a name, Choppa), but instead most sions just build ap, stun+shield, and run away again. Hardly representative of what he should be. Big changes necesito.

I've been arguing that he needs exactly what Karma is getting now even more than she does. But Riot has probably opted to make this decision because she's the least played champ in the game, I suppose.

Ansaa

03-07-2013

YES! Riot I am SO happy you're keeping an original skin for us players that already play Karma!
JOOYY

In fact, let it be know the next joke skin will be "Oscars Karma":
Attachment 629917