So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by catraven View Post
he is. he is a laner and kill stealer. no escapes. his ult is easily avoidable. you run for a few seconds and the debuff half of the effect is gone on high cd. no burst.
Of course he doesn't have burst, he's a sustained damage mage. Vlad is perfectly viable. I play him all the time and usually do well.

Olaf, I play less, but I think he's still fine.

Besides, this is about Karma.

Abrakazam

03-06-2013

The fans were an important part of Karma's image and as we can all see, the community really wants to maintain that core part of Karma's identity. Karma IS her fans. Even with Karma's new twin dragon mystical force powers, her fans can still play a role in how she channels them. Each fan could have a different dragon, or she could use one fan with each side displaying a different color. There has to be a way to incorporate Karma's only signature item so that she doesn't lose her identity completely. The new default Karma skin (as cool as it is) looks like a completely new champion with no relation to Karma. Karma wasn't so unpopular that Riot needs to completely distance the new version from the original one completely. Having something like the visual upgrade traditional skin with fans and the improved kit would be perfect.

In addition to this, I think a good way to keep the air of elegance and sophistication we expect from Karma would be to have her voice resemble Storm's from the old 90's X-Men cartoon. I also hope to see that her unique incantations are kept, like "Lathreya Nown Vi, Ga Ena Kirivi, and Sa Elesar Terra Vi."

On another note, while I'm glad to see they are keeping Karma's skin tone (and it's good to have this diversity of skin tones) Karma's darker skin tone poses a problem for the Sakura skin. As anyone familiar with East Asia knows, people there avoid tanning and strive for a lighter complexion. Having a Japanese-themed kimono-clad character with an explicitly dark skin tone clashes with the image and can even come across as culturally insensitive and pejorative. If you look at the official Chinese art for the Sakura skin, you can see that they adjusted the skin tone accordingly to fit the theme while keeping the traditional darker skin tone in the original skin. I hope this is taken into consideration with the Sakura skin remake.

Dryad Soraka

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
Just to reiterate:

Everyone who owns Karma before her official release gets the skin for free. We're changing a lot about her, so this is a nod to her original aesthetic that meets our new goals for her. We're intentionally allowing new adopters to get the skin in addition to people who currently own her. After her release, you will be able to purchase the Traditional skin separately in the store for a limited period of time.
HOWEVER, it should be for people who have owned Karma at least 2-3 months (and longer) prior to her re-release.

catraven

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
Of course he doesn't have burst, he's a sustained damage mage. Vlad is perfectly viable. I play him all the time and usually do well.

Olaf, I play less, but I think he's still fine.

Besides, this is about Karma.
i can esaily break your sustain. without much utility or escape, you will fall too far behind. i just camp your lane and you lose. plus when you kill it is nearly all ks

Czimeri

03-06-2013

Dear lord the whole "IT'S NOT KAAAAARMAAAAAA" stuff is just ridiculous.

Her whole look and outfit made no sense and she could have been a loaf of bread and her kit would have translated equally well. Her fan was used for ONE SKILL, ONE! How is that definitive of a champion?

Lets just face it, some people just like fans as a weapon. Clearing Karma of her fans actually creates more design space for a champion that actually uses fans.

Karma is now what she should have been visually when she was first released. Karma's current look would have been better suited to a completely different concept.

Ascii

03-06-2013

Quote:
Just to reiterate:

Everyone who owns Karma before her official release gets the skin for free. We're changing a lot about her, so this is a nod to her original aesthetic that meets our new goals for her. We're intentionally allowing new adopters to get the skin in addition to people who currently own her. After her release, you will be able to purchase the Traditional skin separately in the store for a limited period of time.
Oh Alright. I was afraid as a veteran Karma player that I'd have to buy it =x Well thanks for clearing that up for me, sorry if I wasted your time. Keep being awesome. I will always support Riot :3

MajorWhiskers

03-06-2013

Hopefully you read this, Riot, because I really love what you did...

I really love this change! The Traditional skin really captures the essence of "Karma", the Yin-Yang, and the "Tao". Removing the fans also was a smart approach since they didn't necessary build the idea of "Karma," they were more like somewhat meaningless decorations and incomparable to the significance to her Ionian Crown.

Beyond that, I wish the default skin had a little bit more "Yin-Yang" (since her name is Karma after all); however, she still comes across as elegant and judging from the still-frame animations, she comes across as more spiritual because of how her clothing is lifted and pushed out as though a higher power of spirituality is connected in here. Perhaps she's grown spiritually at monasteries, returns with more wisdom and control over her mind (and powers)?

Maybe I'm drawing a little too much from this, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE how she appears like a very wise *ascetic* now!! Some Champs slam me with their awesome lore (Like Syndra and Diana) and I'm taking Philosophy this semester. Karma is now my favorite.

Yago Xiten

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeis View Post
The fans were an important part of Karma's image and as we can all see, the community really wants to maintain that core part of Karma's identity. Karma IS her fans. Even with Karma's new twin dragon mystical force powers, her fans can still play a role in how she channels them. Each fan could have a different dragon, or she could use one fan with each side displaying a different color. There has to be a way to incorporate Karma's only signature item so that she doesn't lose her identity completely. The new default Karma skin (as cool as it is) looks like a completely new champion with no relation to Karma. Karma wasn't so unpopular that Riot needs to completely distance the new version from the original one completely. Having something like the visual upgrade traditional skin with fans and the improved kit would be perfect.

In addition to this, I think a good way to keep the air of elegance and sophistication we expect from Karma would be to have her voice resemble Storm's from the old 90's X-Men cartoon. I also hope to see that her unique incantations are kept, like "Lathreya Nown Vi, Ga Ena Kirivi, and Sa Elesar Terra Vi."

On another note, while I'm glad to see they are keeping Karma's skin tone (and it's good to have this diversity of skin tones) Karma's darker skin tone poses a problem for the Sakura skin. As anyone familiar with East Asia knows, people there avoid tanning and strive for a lighter complexion. Having a Japanese-themed kimono-clad character with an explicitly dark skin tone clashes with the image and can even come across as culturally insensitive and pejorative. If you look at the official Chinese art for the Sakura skin, you can see that they adjusted the skin tone accordingly to fit the theme while keeping the traditional darker skin tone in the original skin. I hope this is taken into consideration with the Sakura skin remake.

"According to the voice actress, she fused accents of Storm from X-Men and Gaia from Captain Planet to create Karma's voice. "

From LoL Wiki.

AL Penguin

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeis View Post

they can just put white powder on her face. That's what most 18th century Japanese aristocratic women would do.

SirGloomy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Quote:
"...We're changing a lot about her, so this is a nod to her original aesthetic that meets our new goals for her. We're intentionally allowing new adopters to get the skin in addition to people who currently own her.
Asking for a curious point of view, because i'll always love karma no matter what;

Lets say I want to use the original model sakura karma skin ive been using for years, i can't right?
Only her original model "skin" will be available after the rework.
Which means the sakura karma will be rework only?