So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phatcat09

03-06-2013

Wanting to buy Riot Creative Release Director

How about instead of just going "OH look new new remake!" protect continuity and treat it as a champions decision to update themselves to stay relative in a progressively changing environment and League....of Legends.

Seriously you'd be able to justify so many more reworks and changes that way without compromising story as your frequently do with remakes.

A Champion could use a critical change? "So and so has adapted their registered League of Legends abilities"

I'll miss the Regality old Karma had in her upright animations and I think all Ionians should have floating mechanisms as a reoccurring motiff, but I don't have any complaints other than my disdain for the color purple as her outfit..

Zerglinator

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esilyn View Post
I'm pretty sure they'll remove some of the quotes.
Like the way they reworked Annie, maybe.
Annie kept her joke though.

jehsuhs

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devack The Holy View Post
Great... You just made earning the IP for Karma a priority...

You rarely open the Legacy vault as it is.
you're probably never even gonna use her. how are they even making it a priority for you. if you want to raise the ip for the damn skin then thats your choice its not like 3150 ip is a lot.

AlphaRayAllen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Look, I can deal with the new dress and the lack of fans, and you basically handing me a new champion and saying "Yes, it's Karma."

But you took away her swagger.

You took her walk, Riot.

That's wrong.

WRONG.

GlyphTsen

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Hey Guys, just to chime in on the fan conversation and to give some insight.
We got rid of the fans because they did not reflect who we wanted Karma to be going forward. The lore team really wanted to make Her the paragon of Ionia. The fans were not cutting it as a source of readable power in game either. So we iterated on the Ionian standard, the two swirling dragons. We played with the idea that She harnesses Her spiritual energy and uses the Two Ionian Jade Dragons as a conduit for her Mantra. After the particle team got hold of that idea, they made something that was much more impactful and holistic than the two fans. We feel it's a much stronger idea.
Unfortunately we won't really be able to judge a lot of the model design till we get our hands on her animations and those full particle effects. Certainly the images help, but they don't give us (the general public) enough information, we can only make guesses and inference from what we see.

kronos368

03-06-2013

Even though I personally like Karma as is, I love the look of her rework! Nice job Riot

Jumpluff

03-06-2013

If the intent wasn't to **** her up a bit in attempts to get her to sell better, I feel as if her "traditional" skin would still be the default, even for the redesign.

But it was, so it isn't.

Ceredron

03-06-2013

Honestly, if you were going to make a traditional skin but not have it be like the original skin, why would you call it a traditional skin? Karma = fans, and when you take those away I fail to see how it's traditional anymore. I understand you wanted to rework and reimagine her or whatever, but this is akin to taking away nidalee's spear in her rework and giving her a sword, or taking away karma's fans and giving her something that looks like irelia's blades. Oh wait that's exactly what it looks like. I appreciate the rework, but a complete re-invisioning of the character seems to be the case. Where's the original character? What's happened to Karma?

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

03-06-2013
23 of 43 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlyphTsen View Post
Unfortunately we won't really be able to judge a lot of the model design till we get our hands on her animations and those full particle effects. Certainly the images help, but they don't give us (the general public) enough information, we can only make guesses and inference from what we see.
This is very true. She'll be going to pbe soon™

Veelivar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Hey Guys, just to chime in on the fan conversation and to give some insight.
We got rid of the fans because they did not reflect who we wanted Karma to be going forward. The lore team really wanted to make Her the paragon of Ionia. The fans were not cutting it as a source of readable power in game either. So we iterated on the Ionian standard, the two swirling dragons. We played with the idea that She harnesses Her spiritual energy and uses the Two Ionian Jade Dragons as a conduit for her Mantra. After the particle team got hold of that idea, they made something that was much more impactful and holistic than the two fans. We feel it's a much stronger idea.
Isn't that what the old Ionian medal thing on her back that Irelia also has was supposed to impart? Her Ionian importance?

I always thought her fans were more of a sign of her background - the intellectual, refined, classy and elegant side of her.
The fans and the dress were her personality, rather than just her position.

You want to show more about her, but nothing on this says Ionian to me.
She looks like a Voodoo poisoner, especially when her eyes/hands are lit up as if she is possessed by some spirit.

At this time, I feel the only thing you've kept about her is her name.