Which punishment do you think should be enough to make toxic players change behaviour

Restricted game chat for X number of played games 92 38.02%
Disabled skin changing for X number of played games 34 14.05%
No IP/XP gain for X number of played games 93 38.43%
Ability to play only 1 Ranked game daily until X number of played games 59 24.38%
Ribbon for being toxic and matchmaking them with other flagged players forX number of played games 104 42.98%
All of the above punishments X number of played games 66 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Punishment alternatives that discourage toxic players

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phobia00

03-05-2013

Last week i read that Riot is testing on open beta a restricted chat function as a way to punish trolls.However as i think it is not going to solve problems I decided to share some ideas and maybe get other players to give theirs and hopefully get some valid ones through to some reds.Most of these ideas come from the community,not my own.

I'd like to begin with the flaws of the current and the tested system:
The current system gives out time bans,which as we know it,instead of making trolling players change behaviour,they simply play on alternate accounts until their bans end.Long story short,they couldn't care less.
The restricted chat,which is being tested isn't really a big deterrent in my opinion,as verbal abusers will simply use those few messages to flame,and when they run out of sendable messages they simply...well,don't care.More,intentional feeders and other toxics,who don't use the chat as a method for ruining games care even less about not being able to use chat.However,both systems have some good sides to them,so let's try and combine them a bit.

Ideas on reworked punishments which might actually make players change behaviours:

• Mainly,let's change the punishment length from "hours and days" to "games played".This would count normals,Coop vs. Ai,Custom and any games played together and i would put the number around 10 to 20.With this,there would be no sense in playing on an alternate account,as your punishment won't go away with time so we can protect our beginners from being discouraged in the learning phase and make sure that punished players are feeling their punishment.Obviously,this wouldn't work with bans,as you cant have a "games played" system with not being able to play,but here comes the second part...
  • As said earlier,restricted chat isn't discouraging at all.However,there are some functions that even toxic players use and more important,WANT to use.I am talking about skins,IP gain,ranked games etc.As such,my idea is adding a "Restricted game mode",which flags players as toxic(in the manner of honor ribbons),restricted Ingame and PVP.net chat(Yes,less messages to friends too),disables their IP/XP gain and Skins,lets them play only 1 ranked game daily and makes matchmaking try to put them in team with other punished players if it can-without adding too much to the queue time.I think this is a harsh enough punishment to make people think twice before they intentionally ruin games.Maybe not all functions,only a few of them,but i think this might work out.

Feel free to give your own ideas,i will try to add them.It would be nice if we could make this thread hot enough for some red attention.

Edit:
It might be another solution to give players who didn't get punished for the last 2 months some extra,like increased IP gain,a bonus quint rune slot,4 extra mastery points,5% champion IP price reduction,something that would make nicely behaving players feel good for being like that.Maybe combine them with honor ribbons so those who have a ribbon get these extras.If punishing don't work,gifting might.

Edit 2:
After reading and thinking,the honor ribbonlike sign of toxic players might not be a great idea,however I find the Toxic players getting in games with other toxic players part a possibility.And seriopusly have no idea if I can change the poll now without losing the results so far,so let's just leave it this way.

Edit 3:
The idea of Restricted game would work similar to this:You sign in.There comes a splash screen:"For your toxic behaviour your account is put in restricted game mode for X games.Refer to case # in tribunal for further information."After that,for the next number of games you can't gain ip,can't change skins etc.Then after those games are played another splash screen with "Congratulations,your restricted mode ended etc. etc.".End of story.

Edit 4:
I see many of you find the limited ranked games daily option a bit strange.The idea comes from my own community on facebook,where I have daily contact with many toxic players,account stealers and other bad parts of the community.My personal experience with them is that about the only thing they are commonly interested in is ranked gaming.Day to day they shame each other for being in lower Divisions,rage and share pictures about badly performing teammates etc.
On an other note,I think ranked playing should be taken more seriously than normal gaming,and toxic players hinder this seriousness,thus i don't think they should have a place in rankeds for their punishment times.

Mondreus

03-05-2013

Many good ideas on the poll. I voted for restricted game chat, restricted IP/XP gain and the toxic ribbon/matchmaking.

Phobia00

03-05-2013

Thanks ^^

Phobia00

03-06-2013

Bumpity bump,not gonna give up.After checking around on the forums it is clear,that most of the playerbase want a solution as fast as possibble.Would be nice if Riot considered some serious ways to improve community.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-06-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Interesting poll.

We've investigated and done research on all of the options you've posted, so I'm very curious to see how players vote. An important note that I mentioned in the PBE testing post with Restricted Chat Mode is that it's only the first experiment we are running in a series that identify features that will ultimately replace the vast majority of bans in League of Legends. We agree that Restricted Chat Mode won't be effective against all types of toxic behaviors--mainly the verbal ones. However, one experiment isn't supposed to address all toxic behaviors.

In addition, every experiment we are testing ties punishment to games played, and not duration of time.

Mirror

03-06-2013

Quote:
1) Restricted game chat for X number of played games
2) Disabled skin changing for X number of played games
3) No IP/XP gain for X number of played games
4) Ability to play only 1 Ranked game daily until X number of played games
5) Ribbon for being toxic and matchmaking them with other flagged players forX number of played games
#1 is being piloted on the PBE. [ninja lyte]

#2 won't happen because that potentially means less RP purchased.

#3 won't happen because that's just insulting, doesn't affect behavior, and is discouraging in a way that would make you want to stop playing. We already have a way to get players to stop playing: suspensions/bans. Putting them in IP purgatory just says "You mad bro? Well, at least you get to keep playing in your bad mood." Would cause more bad than good, I think.

#4 doesn't seem helpful because toxic behavior (with the exception of champ select bullying) is largely a normal queue problem, and the majority of players never get involved in ranked to the point that this would be a real deterrent.

#5 won't happen because marking formerly toxic players with The Black Spot is an unfair bias from their teammates right out of the gate, and is also not in the spirit of giving players a real shot at improving their behavior.

meadow

03-06-2013

I've voted, all I can do is now wait on other people's votes...

Cryswar

03-06-2013

I don't think that people should actually get a "toxic" ribbon, but it'd be hilarious if they got matched with people like them. Dose of their own medicine or something like that.

Yaznar

03-06-2013

1: might make them less annying
2: does anyone really care about this?
3: their goal will be to end the games as soon as possible, doesn't sound good.
4: ban is better
5: I'm sure a toxic player will be even more toxic if people start harrassing him. And non toxic players will probably turn toxic.

NotBuzzJack

03-06-2013

Although taking away a privilege like cosmetics sounds like a good idea, not every toxic player purchases skins.

12345 ... 6