@ Riot Lyte: Honor system needs to be tweaked

First Riot Post
12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TeaKettleTempest

03-01-2013

The honor system was implemented not that long ago, and after some initial use and excitement, the fad seems to have passed. It seems that very rarely does anybody in any of my games give or receive honor, deserved or not. Even the people who used to beg for honor after each game seem to have died out.

The system has a lot of potential for good and I think it is disappointing that it has been allowed to get stale. The ribbons seem overly difficult to achieve. I used to get honor almost every game without asking for it (I can honestly say I am a positive influence in nearly every game I play) but now its maybe once every 5 or 6 games. I currently have 25 friendly, 11 helpful, 105 teamwork, and 43 opponent, and no ribbons. I don't really care about the ribbons though, because the system seems to have just become largely irrelevant.

I only play maybe 1-2 games per day when I am home and I go away every few weeks for work so in an average month I probably play around 40 games (complete guess). That is why I haven't accumulated large amounts of points, but I don't think how much someone plays the game should be a big factor.

My point is, people have completely stopped caring about the honor initiative, and I am disappointed to see something with this potential not get used by the community. I think the ribbons are not enough incentive for people to bother giving honor, and as a result it is just going to become a useless appendage that Riot has attached to their game.

Thoughts?

Edit: Response from Lyte:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
There's a few misunderstandings that I want to clear up.

When Honor first launched, there was a huge spike in usage--this is true for every feature that has ever launched for League of Legends. We should not assume that the 'launch spike' is normal usage--in fact, it's far above normal usage.

Right now, you are a positive player getting about 1 Honor every 4-6 games--that's normal usage, and that's not bad. In fact, the Honor Initiative awards badges based on the consistency and value of Honors received, not the total number of points--in other words, it normalizes the number of games played so that players who play a lot of games don't have an advantage over those who don't.

There are more players who have Great Mentor, Great Leader and Great Teammate badges now than at launch--this is because we recently tweaked the badge settings to account for "normal" usage. There are about half as many players who have the Honorable Opponent badge.

There's a lot we want to do with Honor still, and stuff like Santa Baron Summoner Icons was just the beginning; however, I wanted to jump in and clear up any misunderstandings here.
And some follow-up questions added by myself and others:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaKettleTempest View Post
I understand that the system is complex, but I'm curious how complex.
Does it incorporate custom games where you can't give honor into the calculation for ribbons?

If you have an honorable opponent ribbon, will you lose it if you play too many bot games(bots are notoriously bad for never giving honor)?

If you play 3v3s is the game counted the same as a regular 5v5 game, or is it weighted to take fewer players into account?

Has the system adequately adapted so that the rewards match the current usage of it by players?

I remember seeing somewhere that in order to get a certain ribbon, you need to have a range of honor e.g. to get a teamwork ribbon you need to have (x) teamwork, (x) friendly, and (x) helpful. I know the numbers arent that relevant because different honors will have different weightings, but I am curious about this aspect.

I'd like to see more things like the Santa Baron in the future, but I think something needs to be done to encourage people to use the feature. Maybe just a reminder in post-game chat that says something like "Remember: if a player contributed to a positive experience, consider using the honor feature!". It seems like the main reason people don't use it is because they just forget it exists.

I'd also be curious about how the system actually deals with honor trading etc, because you're right, it often seems like the people with ribbons are the most negative teammates, which suggests that it is easier to get a ribbon if you do it the underhanded way. Of course any speculation about that is purely anecdotal and subjective, so it would be nice if Lyte or someone else spoke to it.

Ni Meleth Li

03-01-2013

dont really have a comment. you speak the truth. upvoted.

TeaKettleTempest

03-01-2013

Thanks for the upvote. Is anyone still getting large amounts of honor? It seems like almost nobody even has a ribbon anymore.

TeaKettleTempest

03-02-2013

Bump

TeaKettleTempest

03-02-2013

I hate to bump my own thread so I will do it one more time and then be done

AccountantISMad

03-02-2013

Upvoted. Also in ranked no one on the losing team gives honour because their just to bitter.

gNarNar

03-02-2013

twerked*

Unban Auspexa

03-02-2013

if honor actually meant something everyone would be trading / begging for honors, it's fine as it is

TeaKettleTempest

03-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unban Auspexa View Post
if honor actually meant something everyone would be trading / begging for honors, it's fine as it is
Yeah I agree it is a hard line to walk. I'd rather it be more impactful than it is though, which is not at all

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-02-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

There's a few misunderstandings that I want to clear up.

When Honor first launched, there was a huge spike in usage--this is true for every feature that has ever launched for League of Legends. We should not assume that the 'launch spike' is normal usage--in fact, it's far above normal usage.

Right now, you are a positive player getting about 1 Honor every 4-6 games--that's normal usage, and that's not bad. In fact, the Honor Initiative awards badges based on the consistency and value of Honors received, not the total number of points--in other words, it normalizes the number of games played so that players who play a lot of games don't have an advantage over those who don't.

There are more players who have Great Mentor, Great Leader and Great Teammate badges now than at launch--this is because we recently tweaked the badge settings to account for "normal" usage. There are about half as many players who have the Honorable Opponent badge.

There's a lot we want to do with Honor still, and stuff like Santa Baron Summoner Icons was just the beginning; however, I wanted to jump in and clear up any misunderstandings here.

12345 ... 7