Anyone else find the MBTI interesting?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EasymodeX

02-28-2013

A clarification on the types for anyone who hasn't had formal MBTI training or done a lot of research:

E/I: This doesn't directly have to do with how "talkative" people are. It has to do with "energy flow". Sounds mystical, but the bottom line is that introverts expend energy when interacting with people (especially a lot of people), and gain energy in solitude or with small company. Extroverts gain energy at parties and talking with a lot of people, and get tired if they are alone.

A simple example is a party then driving home from the party. An introvert would be tired by the end of the party, then balanced or energetic after driving home. An extrovert would be pumped by the end of the party, then start to drag by the time they get home.

A common question is "what would you do to relax on a weekend?" Read a book (by yourself)? Introvert. Go to a large party? Extrovert.

N/S: N/S relates to how people think. Intuitive people think of concepts first. Sensory people think of direct characteristics or properties first. If you say the word "apple", a sensory person thinks "green, red, crunchy, sweet, sour". An intuitive person thinks "fruit, pie, lunch, apple sauce, apple cider". Concepts have more meaning and are inherently more important to an "N". Properties are more important to an "S". You will see "S" people tend to argue about data. "N" people argue about formulas that surround the data.

In MMORPG theorycrafting, "S" people want to see logged tests in-game to estimate DPS before they believe anything. If tests contradict models, the model is probably wrong. "N" people want to see the formulas and models and how power relates to weapon damage before they believe anything. If tests contradict models, the testing was probably wrong.

T/F: Thinking = rationale, discrete decision making. Feeling = emotional, abstract, touch-feely garbage decision making (I MAY BE SLIGHTLY BIASED).

If you're the coach of a little league baseball team with 11 players, and only 9 can go to a tournament, a T person would tend evaluate statistics and performance to reach a decision -- or at least retain that as a high priority in the decision criteria. An F person would choose based on who "needs" to go the most, or who has the most drive to win -- or would maintain those as a high priority in the decision criteria.

P/J: Judging people behave, or have a tendency (or raw OCD need) to make things clear, sequential, discrete, planned. This category seems to be often confused in typing when people say "at work they need to plan ...". But MBTI isn't about "when I am at work" or something. MBTI is natural tendency.

"Perceiving" people tend to be more flexible, more adept to change or variations in the plan. Two examples:

1. Imagine a classroom starting. The curriculum involves a textbook and a worksheet. Someone forgot to print out worksheets. A "J" person would tend to stop the class to get the worksheets printed, then start. A "P" person would tend to go ahead with the textbook coverage, then get the worksheets printed during lunch. E.g. the "J" person feels uncomfortable with the "loose end".

2. Taking a vacation. A "J" person tends to research every aspect of the vacation -- which hotel, car rental location, itinerary for every day before they step out of their house. They also have stuff packed 3 days beforehand. A "P" person tends to assume that hotels with vacancies exist in London, that a car rental place will be there, and may schedule some places to visit, but leave flexible time for "whatever". They also pack beforehand ... but maybe just the night before (or the morning of?).

Keep in mind, when taking a vacation in Mongolia or Venezuela, a P person probably lays out a detailed itinerary, but when the conditions are loose, clear, non-constraining, they will tend to ... not.

Hope these examples help people self-type for fun .

Billy Appel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2013

Does anyone have a working version of the link? It appears the original broke.

Sundiata

03-01-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

INTP at 20, ENTP after age 30

Lemonlce

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2013

INTJ at 20... That's how old I am now, end of age list for me. I was INTJ at age 15 though too.

Lemonlce

03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatraum View Post
Does anyone have a working version of the link? It appears the original broke.
Just use the main URL. Hack off everything after the .com and it should work.

Galgus

03-01-2013

Took test, got INFJ.

As it is stated to be rare, I wonder if I should have gone the other way on some questions I was fairly on the fence about.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to consult a close friend/ family member on such questions: I think we all might sometimes misjudge ourselves.

Flames of Rage

03-01-2013

Always.

Enfp :3

ProbabIyTerribad

03-01-2013

INTJ is the worst one.

ESFP master race reporting in.

Langley

03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
lNTP REPRESENT
Something about this just doesn't seem right.

Scratch that, everything about that doesn't seem right.

I am nunu bot

03-01-2013

I'm an ENTJ, my best friend (who's a girl) is an INTJ but just barely.