Improved health bars, coming soon to a league near you!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vieryn

02-27-2013

Hot. Amumu=supermodel.
But seriously, great idea. I love it and it looks a lot sleeker and user friendly than before

FrancisAldric

02-27-2013

Aaaand now it's even more like DotA. But It's a good change, don't get me wrong.

FrancisAldric

02-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce View Post
@Xelnath
This isn't really about health bar design per se... but I had an idea about showing what I'd call "tainted health" on somebody's healthbar. Tainted health would essentially show the amount of health that will be affected from damage over time abilities.

For instance, a player has 500 health. They hit a teemo shroom that will do 250 damage. Their health bar recolors 250hp at the end of the bar to another color (or perhaps a darker shade of the current color.) This is the amount that will decay over time from the sum of all debuffs currently on the player (poison, ignite, liandry's, etc.)

This would be similar to a user getting a shield from an ally, except in reverse. It shows how much health you WILL lose if you do not get healed/cleanse the DoT abilities. At later levels in the game a teemo shroom can half health you, but you won't necessarily realize just how much damage it will do until it's done all of it. It could allow for some counter-play for strong abilities like this... also ignite.

Has Riot thought about something like this? What is their stance on it? Is it possible this could be tested on the PBE to see if people enjoy it?

Thanks.
Hear The Man Speak, For He Speaks Well! Seriously, though, this would be a great addition to the Health QoL adjustments

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

02-27-2013
15 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce View Post
@Xelnath
This isn't really about health bar design per se... but I had an idea about showing what I'd call "tainted health" on somebody's healthbar. Tainted health would essentially show the amount of health that will be affected from damage over time abilities.

For instance, a player has 500 health. They hit a teemo shroom that will do 250 damage. Their health bar recolors 250hp at the end of the bar to another color (or perhaps a darker shade of the current color.) This is the amount that will decay over time from the sum of all debuffs currently on the player (poison, ignite, liandry's, etc.)

This would be similar to a user getting a shield from an ally, except in reverse. It shows how much health you WILL lose if you do not get healed/cleanse the DoT abilities. At later levels in the game a teemo shroom can half health you, but you won't necessarily realize just how much damage it will do until it's done all of it. It could allow for some counter-play for strong abilities like this... also ignite.

Has Riot thought about something like this? What is their stance on it? Is it possible this could be tested on the PBE to see if people enjoy it?

Thanks.
This is a neat idea, I can experiment with it, but I'm running out of time to work on health bars. What color would you imagine this effect to be?

FallenBlade

02-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
but I'm running out of time to work on health bars.
Tbh I hope you run out of time on this one. I really think DoTs should stay the way they are to keep the higher skillcap on swain/cass (even teemo etc).

Otherwise it is almost like knowing how much damage a delayed targeted ability (e.g. vi/naut ult, cait ult etc) is going to do to you and I feel that should just not be allowed.

Tolinar

02-27-2013

Quote:
This is a neat idea, I can experiment with it, but I'm running out of time to work on health bars. What color would you imagine this effect to be?
Purple.

Poison, burndown, DoT, whatever = Purple

Xarkanadushak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2013

Quote:
given what i reckon are probably the 4 most noticeable dots in the game (cass teemo singed and malz)
purple would seem obvious, although this is currently spell shield so maybe yellow/orange

Xelnath

Systems Designer

02-27-2013
16 of 18 Riot Posts

Yellow is physical shields.

KevinDelMarr

02-27-2013

Quote:
Have it like in fighting games where your health drops but a red bar takes place of the original, that decreases every second or half a second

Edit: In the picture the heavy bar would be your final health, DoT would be the lighter bar that decreases in size until it meets the final health bar.

ThatNinjaGuy

02-27-2013

Quote:
Maybe make it a grayer/darker green?