The time is 8 minutes in. Top is 0-7. ADC is 0-4. Support is 0-5. Jungle is 1-5.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Pwyff

Player Communications

Follow Riot Pwyff on Twitter

02-27-2013
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacoonHail View Post
Statistical data being available to everyone in sports is a growing trend interesting results so far.

Baseball obviously gives itself to mathematical analysis and breakdowns as it is a single player game disguised as a team sport, allowing coaches and teams to reduce players to numbers and then plug them in for best results. The result? A revolution in the sport and practically all of the teams do this now.

Basketball is just beginning this and currently have more data than things to do with that data, but it has allowed certain teams to build very good rosters and others to build good rosters out of random parts.

Football is also using statistical data to evaluate players, though again they are just starting and with roster sizes so big it has not become a major factor, yet...

So why not for eSports? If a player can see their full history, who they win with, what team comps they win with, how much they lose buy (in gold, kills etc), suddenly they can improve themselves if they see fit to. Those that won't use it will probably start losing more often, but it would be absolutely fascinating and a great way to determine what champions and what roles you are actually innately good at with statistical proof to prove that.

For example, I suspect I am a good support, playing best with Taric, Alistar, and Sona suggesting I prefer an aggressive kill lane play style as a support. I have no proof of this though because I have not actually tracked my win/loss record with those champions. I am definitely going to start now and see if that helps me better myself, but it would be nice if Riot provided that info too.

Too long for you??
Riot needs to give us the DATA!
You're definitely pushing the discussion in the right way - these are probably the best kind of statistics that really savvy-minded players (I'll come back to this) can use to improve. At this point, however, the question then goes to just how much effort needs to go into doing something like this. Pulling all of these statistics from millions of players, parsing them, presenting them in a variety of ways, hosting that information, etc. I actually don't know if there are or aren't technological limitations here (dentist doing a surgeon's work, etc), but yeah.

Also Baseball / Hockey / Basketball are all about two teams playing with equal positions and equal goals. In League of Legends you have uniquely different champions that do uniquely different things, all joining team compositions that are trying to accomplish different goals (stall teams, push teams, objective focused teams, skirmish teams, roam teams). You can get a small measure of a hockey goalie's worth by his GAA and Save % because every goalie is subjected to those same statistics equally (although even then you take into account a goalie's defencemen, etc). How does a support even get that sort of statistical analysis? How do you compare?

On the other hand, what if we brought this to the crux of the problem: improvement. Imagine if a hockey player (I'm Canadian, this is my go-to reference point) were to spend his days analyzing his hockey game statistics as opposed to doing weight training / conditioning. Would his improvement over time be equal to if he worked on his shot and physicality? Maybe not.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it would probably (I think?) take a lot to implement some hardcore in-depth statistical tracking into League of Legends, and I feel that most players would benefit far more from learning mechanical play, general map awareness, strategy execution, team communication, and other things. So maybe resources would be better focused on helping players improve at the afore-mentioned categories

ON A COMPLETELY SEPARATE NOTE...

Y'all don't know the meaning of irony. C'mon.

Pandaris

02-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Pwyff View Post
spend his days analyzing his hockey game statistics as opposed to doing weight training / conditioning. Would his improvement over time be equal to if he worked on his shot and physicality?
Y'all don't know the meaning of irony. C'mon.
I like you,,, Dont leave

and if you do #notarapist will cry

sincerely
- #notarapist

Edit: i should porbly contribute to the dicussion.

This isnt a physical sport, half the game is KNOWING this data, who you could have the best mechanics in the world when it comes to fighting a aggressive bot lane (as adc), and lose mechanically against passive lanes. HOW do you know this though? Honestly the best thing to implement (that would be fairly simple) would be to include all 10 players in soloque match history, and allow a easy way to store this info ( like upcoming replays)

TittySprinklesJr

02-27-2013

Wait til 20 minutes and spam surrender.

dardarbinks

02-27-2013

AFK in base, sell items and make pictures with wards til 20 minutes

swilson

02-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaris View Post
I like you,,, Dont leave

and if you do #notarapist will cry

sincerely
- #notarapist

Edit: i should porbly contribute to the dicussion.

This isnt a physical sport, half the game is KNOWING this data, who you could have the best mechanics in the world when it comes to fighting a aggressive bot lane (as adc), and lose mechanically against passive lanes. HOW do you know this though? Honestly the best thing to implement (that would be fairly simple) would be to include all 10 players in soloque match history, and allow a easy way to store this info ( like upcoming replays)
IS there a difference between that and say a basketballer who does well when his opponent peels away from him and tries to make plays for his team, but does poorly when his opponent plays a pure shutdown role on him?

Sagee Prime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2013

When games get that bad and you are that far behind I just try to have fun with what is left of the game. Play for fun and make the best out of that match.

Quote:
It feels like you're looking for a very specific answer here ;p

A score of 2-21 at 8 minutes is... a little crazy, but just some food for thought...

When a lot of players fall behind in lane, they usually try to compensate by playing overly aggressive or trying to make plays in order to catch up. Unfortunately, when you're behind and playing aggressive, it's VERY easy to muck up - thus falling even further behind. The better thing to do when you're behind is to play safe and force your opponent to make risky / aggressive plays. Players tend to believe that when they're ahead, they NEED to continue stomping, so playing safe against that makes them want to play even more aggressively.

Sometimes it's hard to say (seeing a teammate consistently die within a few minutes of returning to lane because they want to catch up is frustrating), but it really does help if you just let your teammate know that they shouldn't feel pressured to make a play or they NEED to catch up. League's a team game (yadda yadda), and confidence is infectious - let your teammates know you still have some shred of confidence in them and they might (MIGHT) surprise you.

Or they'll die more. But that's a conclusion that already seems to be happening.

Barring all of that, you're going to be in this game for another 12 minutes, you might as well take charge and try to scrap a win out of it. Call squishy targets, and push lanes. Setting up a gank when your other lanes are so far behind usually results in your own death, so pushing lanes at least helps with the global gold and EXP.

If all else fails, I tell bad jokes.

What's orange and sounds like a parrot?
A CARROT.
You were in my game last night and ended my promotion with failure

I was MF and you played jungle khazix on the enemy team. Your team also had the extremely large Chogath.

ShowMeYourMoves

02-27-2013

complain on the forum and tell the world how I am still at elo hell because the 100 other ranked games I play have the exact same situation every time.

On a serious note...

Tell your team to buy a pink ward, and maybe steal dragon when their jungler visit top.
Ward their jungle, and see what you can do to rack some money by catching them alone

The game is lost anyway, give the high risk high reward tactic a shot, it might turn the tide.

exelsis xax

02-27-2013

Win.
Because i'm freaking VEIGAR.
1400 AP, coming right up.

ZOMGTURTLE

02-27-2013

Quote:
Oh my lawd. I like this. I like this a lot. Even if this is a typo and you meant to say "What's orange and green and walks like a Parrot?"

In exchange:

A polar bear walks into a bar and says, "I'd like a Gin........... and Tonic."
The bartender asks, "Why the long pause?"
The polar bear looks down, confused, and says, "I dunno, I was born with them."
What's blue and smells like red paint?

.... Blue paint.

IS1bf9b2d7e61bcf

02-27-2013

Quote:
The usual riot line.
Passing the buck onto the players, what a surprise. Why fix things when you can just blame the problems on the people complaining?