These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

obsidiankatana

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I'm currently taking a break from ranked as I learn to mid better. I have developed a strong Kassadin against many champions, but there are some that still wreck me. I have worked with junglers and top laners to switch and baby sit to make up for these deficiencies. Sometimes I still get wrecked, but I am learning really good skills in the process. I think top lane or better support/more supports might be next.
Supports have always been my weakest. It's not necessarily that I'm not good with them mechanically so much as a mindset. At my core, I'm good at making other people dead before they make me dead. Depending on someone else to do that for me while I keep them alive is a slightly alien concept.

Now Kassadin... I can take against nearly every champion. He wasn't my first love, but he's been my right-hand since halfway through season one.

NerdyDan

02-25-2013

A couple points:

Forcing 4 great teammates to pander to the needy player who can only play 1 role creates an overall negative experience where 4 people are displeased.

Why shouldn't there be a general set of guidelines? I think it's great that riot thinks the community can behave in a very positive and teamwork friendly way. But I think everyone knows that this isn't in all games. I think even a soft set of rules like try to give pick order priority over calling. Great teammates will still behave in a friendly manner that may let the one person who can only play one role play his role, but he cannot use this as an excuse to get his way.

Rules are necessary for civil society, as idealistic as your ideas about the community are, I think the reality of the situation is that most communities will devolve without some ground rules.

I think by stating that you guys prefer pick order over call order, it doesn't mean that friendly players will not cooperate anymore. It just keeps the negative player who can only play one role from using it as an excuse to bully his teammates. Which creates an overall more positive gaming experience.

Xanthalis

02-25-2013

Quote:
That was my best graves game ever. We won, the jungler on our team paid special attention to bot because he knew I would need help. I played very safe, and my support was able to get me fed.

My last ADC game was absolutely terrible. I played it in a 5 queue, it didn't go well. If you are friendly and honest in champ select, there isn't all that raging that you describe, even with a losing game in ranked.

btw, I am a noob Ezreal. So bad at him...
I respect you and your posts on the forums Grif, especially as a player and not a Rioter. But I'm sorry, the bolded part is just not true. In my experiences at least.

I've read the other posts and I'm glad that you don't have a bad time in champ select. But I do. Many others do. On a normal day I don't get to play that much. If at all. So even if I only get 1 or 2 games with trolls, fighting and throwing it's a fairly large percentage of my games and really diminishes my desire to play.

I've found that if I go in willing to compromise it mostly turns out that I'm told where to go, which is almost always support. So when I do get to play I have to play what others want and not what I find the most fun ( I don't mind support for the record, my 3rd fave role).

Neiden

02-25-2013

Quote:
Chimichanga salchipapa
I wonder, don't you usually get those
S1:"OMFG THIS NOOB **** SON OF A ***** AGAIN GG IM NOT GETTING TROLLED THIS ****ING TIME, I'M GONNA TROLL THIS **** DOWN TO 1100 ELO SO HE CAN BE WHERE HE BELONGS CUZ I CAN CLIMB WHENEVER I WANT GG *****ES **** ASSES"
And you go all like "chill bro, calm down anyone can have a bad game..."
S2: LOL don't bother this guy is a little ***** who can't stop feeding top.
S1: YES I feeded the guy who was 5 0 out of your lane
S2: He killed me only once lol you noob****
Guys, stop please, we are a team, the enemies are on the other side, please chill and lets try to win.
S1: WIN? LOL NOT A ****ING CHANCE we are so gonna lose and I'm gonna make sure of it GG thank it to S2*****ilikecocks
S2&1: More random insults for the rest of the game between them and in all chat.

WHAT DO?
WHO WAS PHONE?
I mean, seriously, there are some situations people just can't avoid lol, in my experience from 1400-@1750 old elo is where this ragers are, from 1300-1100 there are the "I DONT BELONG IN THIS ELO MY TEAM ARE NOOBS OMFG" ragers but not the ones who throw only to "teach a lesson" to some other guy.
From 1099-900 are some cool guys who want to get higher but they admit they suck lol.
And 1800+ people usually speak less and play more, maybe they rage all out loud but that doesnt kill our team spirit lol.

Thaenor

02-25-2013

Quote:
Because I think we have a very good community overall. Remember, I'm playing games in bronze 2. The techniques I have described work well for me. I do not have Riot in my name, and have only been recognized in about 6, maybe 7 games.

Teach me your ways, good sir

Kryptobite

02-25-2013

It seems like everyone is genuinely confused.

"Can't you just work it out? Our community should just be mature about it and figure things out."

Of course they SHOULD

But Riot, why can't you accept the fact that here's what we're trying to say:

The community DOESN'T. Here's your average bronze ranked player in champion select:

"IF I CANT PLAY TOP IM TROLLING"

"I CANT PLAY SUPPORT."

"I HAVE NO JUNGLE CHAMPS"

"IF I DONT GET MID ILL SUPPORT DARIUS BOTTOM"

This community is full of rudimentary kids, and they're beginning to flood in to ranked matches more and more. You need a FIX, not useless advice.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
31 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
I have faith that our community is mature enough to discover that talking to the other players and working things out together is the best strategy.
I still believe in the ability for players to work things out together.

The Camel Rider

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buderfingers View Post
Griftrix, you're on a roll today. Just looked at all your posts in this thread and, even with the people that think they can give you an impossible scenario, your answers are concise and completely true.

I think what people dont realize is that compromise doesn't have to come with every game. If you just supported 5 games in a row and would really like a chance at mid, go ahead and voice your concern. More often than not, someone will take your side give you mid, or at least a role other than support.

Honestly I have never had an issue playing most roles that I want.

The biggest problem I ever face in my games is when there is a duo queue, and they are like "Im ADC and my duo is support"...

I literally win most of my games playing support, yet, when this happens, I am forced into top, mid or jungle, which im really not that great in... and guess what? We lose more often than not.

I honestly hate duo queue in ranked. It needs to go.

ICStars77

02-25-2013

@Griftrix while some of you comments have been hilarious - very true, but your responses to people who are very close/simple minded made me laugh - unfortunately even if you go into champ select polite and try and work things out people still rage hard if you do poorly. I'm not saying this has been the norm for me I 100% agree with most of what you're saying. That being said I'm a TERRIBLE mid and was forced to mid before even after saying multiple times I'm terrible at mid. Most of my team raged at me for feeding when I did poorly. The sad truth is that **** happens from time to time.

As a whole though, I've had a fairly good experience with ranked going into champ select open minded and able to do multiple roles . This thread has made me laugh - thank you grif lol

InertBlowfish

02-25-2013

Quote:
Challenge accepted! Duoing with diamond rated people is hard. I don't win many of those games, but I sure did get better
Woah, woah.

I'm like silver II, and from New Zealand.

But it always is better playing with people slightly higher up. So much easier to learn.