These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
26 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfury View Post
Yea, and the same amount of people speed or drive in the car pool lane in front of a cop that do when the cop isn't present. I'm not saying that you are wrong about your experience, but it isn't the same as ours unless you are incognito.
It sounds like you missed it when I said I have been recognized in game about 7 times. I don't have Riot in my name. You may be surprised how few players read the forums regularly.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vaalesh

Junior Member

02-25-2013

Dear Griftix,

Please play ranked games with me every day for the next month so that I may learn your mysterious ways.

Sincerely,

That Guy Who Wants Attention


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pangrine

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Now I'm also going to call you a child for using italics to game the word filter, instead of using more civil speech when trying to engage others, possibly for persuasion.
You do realize in many circles this attitude is considered "tone trolling" and is frowned upon behavior.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Helleus

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I feel like the sample of people posting otherwise in this thread is a minority. I don't know how it is in higher Elos, but at my low Elo, with the attitude I bring, things are not a problem in my experience, in the vast majority of games.
Grif, I really appreciate you're positive attitude in this situation. Regardless of what the data says, being negative will NEVER help the situation. So what if being positive only gives you better results in 4% of games? If that means you win 4% more of your games, then why not? Keep it up man, if you only inspire 5 people to be more positive today, it's still a result.

Regardless, it's clear that the current system has it's flaws. I've bullied my way into a role sometimes, I admit it. This approach can be effective, but honestly found that a nicer approach works better:

" I'm taking top, I don't care what you say." or "If you don't let me go top i'm feeding"

doesn't work as well as

"I really want to top as ___, he's me main " or "I'd prefer top as it's be best role"

This never works 100% of the time, but anyone who expects their way 100% of the time is living in a dream world.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BishoPXL

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I'm bronze 2, and work out with other people who want to jungle the roles, and we have never had 2 junglers or someone being forced into something. Every time it's been a happy communication that led to a friendly game with better teamwork for it.
I'm sorry, thats just a flat out lie.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sexual Innuendo

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Thanks for the heads up <internet fist bump>
It's hilarious that in this game, this forum, and even this thread, Griftrix gets called out for "Rather Snide" comments. This place would be a great forum for discussion if 'rather snide" was as bad as things got.

"Riot employees told me how stupid I sound on the forums! I demand blood!"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dreadnickaflug

Senior Member

02-25-2013

I am in Gold 1 and have had the exact same experience as Griftrix. I have been in mid silver as well and everywhere in between and have consistently observed the same attitudes. The reason I point this out is because I always see so many people saying things like, "you're in _____ league, it's different at _____."

It's not different. I specialize in ADC and have gotten to ADC probably 80% of my ranked games. When I don't get to ADC I try my best to fill, but usually aim to play jungle or support. I have only played 1 ranked game since season 3 began (not counting preseason when I was more comfortable playing top and mid due to the 450 lower starting ELO) in a role I didn't want to play and I practically only play 2 roles (I jungle but exclusively as malphite). Chances are if I didn't support I would have had to play roles i don't like a bit more frequently, but in my opinion, everyone needs to be able to play at least one support champion b/c you will be forced to play it at some point; it's nicer if you don't have to say "I am terribad at support" when the time comes.

The reality is it all comes down to attitudes. If your last pick comes in and spams "top" and you wanted to play top, instead of saying "i'm playing top" ask them if there is any other role they'd be comfortable playing. Chances are if you ask nicely, they'll be willing to negotiate or will at least offer an explanation on why they demand top (ex: lost 3 games in a row because top fed). In the event that they refuse to play any other role, be the bigger man and do so without being condescending. If you make comments like "well you better not feed" or chastize them everytime they die, you're almost as bad as they are.




Edit: Just to clarify I am 100% in favor of draft order over "calling." However, I think that open honestly about which roles you are most willing to play and negotiating is essential to winning, especially at higher ELOs when feeders are much less common. I doubt my team would win over 50% of the time if I was forced to play top or mid


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
27 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dying Dream View Post
If I go into a ranked queue with champions, runes, masteries and knowledge for all 5 standard roles

and

DerpyMcDariusTOPONLY comes in, screams IM TOP IM TOP I ONLY PLAY TOP

you are sitting here expecting me to bend to his whim?

And if I don't I'm the troll? Because I was responsible enough and think of my potential teammates and go in prepared to play any role?
Edited out the parts of your post in my quote where you raged...

You can be right (in your own mind, in this particular situation) or you can have a game where players are working together as a team. Your call.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tempname950

Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
How will being as stubborn as them make your game experience better?
Because you can play something you enjoy playing, instead of something you hate for 40 minutes.


Or are you saying that winning is the only thing that matters? Would you like to make that an official stance?


If I'm a higher pick than someone and someone else wants to troll in order to get the role I want to play, I will merely put them on mute, and enjoy my game as much as possible. I wont give them their role merely to stop the trolling, because it will put me in a position of being miserable for the entire game, and therefore getting 0 fun out of it.

Look at it from a basic maths point of view:

100 fun vs 50 fun vs 0 fun.

100 fun = everyone is happy and agrees to all roles.
50 fun = you have a troll but you ignore him, and play the role you wanted.
0 fun = capitulating to the troll, giving them what they want, and playing something you don't enjoy.


Nobody here can claim they want 0 fun over 50 fun.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calypsx

Senior Member

02-25-2013

I only play as Karma, sure i'll go in any lane, but just warning people I am playing Karma. She's the only character I get any enjoyment in playing.