@Zileas You should be happy.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SirtyStan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-25-2013

lol.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Morgageddon

Player Support Tech Specialist

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
That's a fascinating question. My theory is based upon a statistical bias argument...

So... an irrational belief in your own importance and capability are certainly one way to develop 'high motivation' and 'great focus'. These are a requirements to do big things in general, such as, being an immensely powerful wizard/sorceror/wizardlock whatever. Maybe it's just that megalomania trends you towards evil, so it's more just a bias in the average alignment of 'highly motivated, focused wizards' that results in this trope of powerful (megalomaniac) evil wizards.

Or it could be that heroes need a foil, and evil wizards are a durable trope, a solid go-to as a writer. Who knows.
As an aspiring writer, I take great offense at the fact all wizards are evil!
I'll just send a giant construct your way, and some undead, and perhaps even an orc or two.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ecstaSTEVE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

02-25-2013

zileas, thank you. i'm honestly in such a great mood right now just from these little back-and-forths. cheers everyone!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thornmaelstrom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
That's a fascinating question. My theory is based upon a statistical bias argument...
"If it's over 5000 years old, it's probably evil." -Can't remember who, but probably the writer of Oglaf (genius, but NSFW, comic writer)
^ With the one exception of immortal creatures deprived of moral freedom, such as Angels. Poor bastards forced to live Lawful Good with no say in the matter.

Time jades, and personally I am of the belief that Link from Majora's Mask would be the scariest being of all time. Days, weeks, months, MILLENIA for a child honing his skills, learning, repeatedly dulled to killing everything over and over again faster and faster to achieve his goals. Eventually, in searching for new ways to achieve the end of his time loop, he'd experiment with new methods. Get sick of talking to the same simple villager who says the same thing hundreds of thousands of times. Is it patience, or impatience? Or both, for different things? In his decline into madness, he may even artificially extend his time loop to simply learn more and more and perfect his arts after he's capable of ending it all.
When he emerges, he is old. He is powerful. He is the Master, and the young little maggots of Hyrule, like Ganon for instance, are powerless to stop him from whatever he so desires.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DptBear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-25-2013

But what spells have you prepped for today? Or did you forget to fill out your spellbook this morning...

Typical noob move.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GFranco

Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
That's a fascinating question. My theory is based upon a statistical bias argument...

So... an irrational belief in your own importance and capability are certainly one way to develop 'high motivation' and 'great focus'. These are a requirements to do big things in general, such as, being an immensely powerful wizard/sorceror/wizardlock whatever. Maybe it's just that megalomania trends you towards evil, so it's more just a bias in the average alignment of 'highly motivated, focused wizards' that results in this trope of powerful (megalomaniac) evil wizards.

Or it could be that heroes need a foil, and evil wizards are a durable trope, a solid go-to as a writer. Who knows.
I think when you get to that high of a point for power, the imagination wanders and can make people seem less significant to you. The world is your play thing idea carried too far.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkwahn

Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
If you are going to be a jerk, well, I'm going to strip you of your Wizardlock forum title. Oh wait, already did. Zing!
;_;


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZedekiahCromwell

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DptBear View Post
But what spells have you prepped for today? Or did you forget to fill out your spellbook this morning...

Typical noob move.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iPredicted

Adjudicator

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larias View Post
In my D&D games, I like to have my players be their own worst enemy. When they interfere with things, they occasionally have catastrophic side-effects. It's fun to watch.

I basically use the Batman question - if there was no Batman would there be a Joker?
Lol, seems better than what a DM in one of my games did.
I got hit in the shoulder by a half-ogre with an aluminium baseball bat (present-ish world with high fantasy lore), which hospitalized my characters for months in a corrupt system basically putting the campaign at a halt and forcing the rest of the party to focus on paying the hospital bills for my character.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

02-25-2013
8 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
That's a fascinating question. My theory is based upon a statistical bias argument...

So... an irrational belief in your own importance and capability are certainly one way to develop 'high motivation' and 'great focus'. These are a requirements to do big things in general, such as, being an immensely powerful wizard/sorceror/wizardlock whatever. Maybe it's just that megalomania trends you towards evil, so it's more just a bias in the average alignment of 'highly motivated, focused wizards' that results in this trope of powerful (megalomaniac) evil wizards.

Or it could be that heroes need a foil, and evil wizards are a durable trope, a solid go-to as a writer. Who knows.
I disagree. I believe that the villainous wizard trope grew from the fallacy that basically goes as follows:

1) I cannot be smart.
2) Anyone can fight.
3) I can fight.
4) I can be a warrior.
5) I cannot improve my smarts, but I can improve my strength
6) Therefore, few people can be smart and powerful, but anyone can kill a smart powerful guy

Thus leading to the self-heroification of those who slew the cunning, clever and unpopular. When in truth, they were luddites who attacked that which they didn't understand.