These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS12c9caee90c700fc71890

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Value of order? LOL. How is this more valuable than a team that is willing to work together, and has the best combination of roles for their combined skill set?
Said team exist in an utopic enviroment and you might get one from time to time, and when you do by all means sort everything out the best way possible.

But when you don't you have to have clear rules dictating who's right and who's not and right now the only rule in the game is the order of picks, it's dictated by the system itself, if the if was ok for last pick to take mid over first pick, the would be able to, yet he is not, it's not ideal, but it's what we have.

Enforce it. for now.
It sure beats anarchy for months, hell, even a year+ until you guys can figure out something better.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
23 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertBlowfish View Post
I'm not trying to be THAT guy...

But you seem to be getting worked up a bit with these last couple of comments.

I would exit stage right for a couple of minutes, man..
I always read/write on the forums with a smile

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
24 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Plos View Post
Said team exist in an utopic enviroment and you might get one from time to time, and when you do by all means sort everything out the best way possible.

But when you don't you have to have clear rules dictating who's right and who's not and right now the only rule in the game is the order of picks, it's dictated by the system itself, if the if was ok for last pick to take mid over first pick, the would be able to, yet he is not, it's not ideal, but it's what we have.

Enforce it. for now.
It sure beats anarchy for months, hell, even a year+ until you guys can figure out something better.
I feel like the sample of people posting otherwise in this thread is a minority. I don't know how it is in higher Elos, but at my low Elo, with the attitude I bring, things are not a problem in my experience, in the vast majority of games.

Lunar Lightning

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

Quote:
How well do you think someone who claims to be terrible at support will do at support? Do you really want to have that person playing their worst role?

Let me give an example for those who want a structured system.

Person 1 and 2 call mid. Here is the right thing to do. Ask each other what other roles they are good at. Decide together which one should play mid, considering team composition and counter picking. If one of the players states a role that has not yet been filled as a secondary role they are good at, then this becomes easy.
that doesnt happen more often than not

HeroicCookie

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahriman1 View Post
Why are people able to not play roles that they do not want to play (in world of warcraft)?

You can make a priest and play shadow, and not even have a healing spec, and it works out fine. You may not be able to find a group or a raid as quickly, but it works out such that you never in your life have to heal.

In league, there ARE going to be situations where you have to play a role that you may not want to ever play in your lifetime. In the current system, there is simply no way around it.

Some people are flexible, some people aren't. The league of legends system forces at least some degree of flexibility. Being flexible, you don't see the problem the way the guy who just wants to play mid all day every day sees it. - This is coming from a highly flexible jack of all trades player. I suggest an objective look at the issue at hand from the perspective of someone who really does only want to play one specific role.
This puts it very well.

The Camel Rider

02-25-2013

Hey Griftrix, forget all these "Pick order >>> All" guys. They have no idea how to manage people. They are the selfish idiots that cause losses directly from champ select before ever playing the game, all because they specifically ruined other peoples day.

Unfortunately those kinds of people breed a certain kind of troll... I troll the trolls. I dont care about a game where a team will not communicate, and therefore I do what I want just like they do. And you know what? I am HAPPY to see them lose.

You think I care about my rating? Think again.

McDracos

02-25-2013

Quote:
Value of order? LOL. How is this more valuable than a team that is willing to work together, and has the best combination of roles for their combined skill set?
There are two ways you can go about this. You can say 'higher in the pick order has higher priority.' At this point, someone can call a role, and those above him can try to facilitate it, but any conflict is easily resolved by the higher player getting their role.

Your way only works until a conflict breaks out and neither side wants to give. Since no person has de-facto authority, this means (at best) one person will get their role and the other will feel cheated. At worst, neither party will give and you wind up with two people for the same role and the game is over before it begins. The problem here is the lack of authority to fall back on. If that authority exists, teams can still discuss, plan, and facilitate a good team comp. By denying this, your are simply denying the simplest method of conflict resolution.

Sëxy

02-25-2013

Quote:
Internet stalking is really creepy. Every time someone looks up another player, it get creeped out.
What??? LOL so when you go on someones profile to see their league or scores its stalking? So Riot is promoting stalking or what?

RavageRose

02-25-2013

Quote:
Now I'm also going to call you a child for using italics to game the word filter, instead of using more civil speech when trying to engage others, possibly for persuasion.
to be fair, you are a riot employee. you should never call a player anything demeaning.

Hidden Sniper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

Quote:
I have faith that
our community is mature enough
to discover that talking to the other players and working things out together is the best strategy.
A-hahaha.

Oh man..... Ahahaha!

Quote:
How well do you think someone who claims to be terrible at support will do at support? Do you really want to have that person playing their worst role?

Let me give an example for those who want a structured system.

Person 1 and 2 call mid. Here is the right thing to do. Ask each other what other roles they are good at. Decide together which one should play mid, considering team composition and counter picking. If one of the players states a role that has not yet been filled as a secondary role they are good at, then this becomes easy.
Because of how you balanced this game, and how supports are, I highly doubt this will alleviate anything. Typically it is the thing NO ONE WANTS to do. Very VERY few people will actually want play support. I feel the balance team needs to look more at other mobas and see how supports work better there, and bring some of that in here. You FEEL like you make more of a difference. Right now every support does about the same thing, little damage, some cc. When people start to learn that several mages would make better supports and start going bot, what will you do? Nerf all of their base damages so they absolutely need AP? (It already happened with Zyra a bit, and I foresee this coming if people get smart. You keep blasting all the supports AP ratios down the toilet so they can barely help out with damage leaving them to be mobile warding auras...)

I really feel like if Support was made more appealing it would alleviate most of the annoyances of champion select, and is the underline of what causes most of the calling frenzies.