These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InertBlowfish

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Why do you think I made a shaman and paladin who can switch roles? Why do you think they made dual specs? Communication and flexibility.
I know what you mean, man; I did the same thing, except with a DK/Shaman back when I played.

But you have a sunny outlook and are obviously level headed enough to be able to swap roles without worrying.

You can't force people to be as cool as you though.

I know you're just trying to help people and get them to change, but some people do need structure.

That's why people want an official stance on this matter, be it one way or the other, from Riot themselves.

To be honest I think you'll find the people like us that compromise are the ones that want an official stance; so that we don't have to deal with the people that cannot compromise.

Bullettime7

02-25-2013

One question then.

If the whole concept of pick order is going to be basically undermined and not adhered to, then why is Ranked held under Draft Pick rules still and not Blind Pick? Ranked at the lower end basically feels like Blind Pick as is where whoever calls the role first gets it or there's hell to pay.

IS1ea9babe8ac6b7cad8130

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowcide View Post
Straight from the summoners code:

Being a good team player begins at champion select. Be open minded when considering the needs of your team. If youíre the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasnít already been filled. If everyoneís picked and something stands out as a deficiency in your team composition, try asking for another player to fill the gap, or change roles to embrace that responsibility yourself. Remember, that by taking on a role you donít normally play, youíll learn more about unfamiliar champions and increase your own skill level.
That's good, but "taking a role you don't normally play" applies more to normals, not ranked, because in ranked it's more competitive and play-to-win. To maximize chance of winning you want to function at your best, and if you never play support you shouldn't try it in ranked

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
17 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by And it was K View Post
Why do you think I learned to play Support Jarvan? Same thing. How does this help me if TWO OR MORE PLAYERS OTHER THAN ME ARE FIGHTING OVER A ROLE?
Be polite, and help facilitate the communication. (sorry for picking here, I'm just joking but) removing your caps lock or shift key might help ^_^

GigglesO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

Quote:
Why do you think I made a shaman and paladin who can switch roles? Why do you think they made dual specs? Communication and flexibility.
This is why in D&D I'm trying to get fast healing on a Half-dragon War-forged Juggernaut....
He has immunity to healing....
Can anyone say clockwork mender swarm? 1 fast repair/ round on constructs aka warforged.

That way if they do hit me at level 5 and an AC of 36 I can just heal it all off .

Sounds like Griftrix is suggesting adc soraka, so she can dps and heal <------ troll face.

Iry

02-25-2013

From what I get, people don't want to actually get a strict enforcement of pick order, they don't want the people who selfishly pick what they want with disregard to the team to ruin their day. Essentially, they want to punish people for refusing to communicate with the team, but they can't because there is no pre-game lobby report and the pre-game lobby does not appear for the tribunal anyways, making any reports that are made in-game void due to lack of evidence.

What I am getting at is: If refusal to communicate is punishable, it should be in the pre-game lobby as well, and the pre-game lobby talk should appear on the tribunal. If you have faith in the tribunal, I don't see a reason not to do this.

Uiraya

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashinshin View Post
If you want to fix the system it needs to start with far more fun suppots like Thresh being released, instead of the typical girly female pixie dust support stereotype.
I happen to enjoy the typical girly female pixie dust support stereotypes.

At least before they all got massacred into uselessness, anyhow.

The main problem with support in solo queue is that if your adc is a vegetable, so are you. People, especially bads, can't distinguish between two bad bot and one bad adc. If you try to play more defensively you aren't helping him and he dies (and they push your tower), if you follow him in and try to help you get double killed.
~Uiru

PsionicApe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

Quote:
Yup. The only stock I put into the things that get typed out is that those players are good at those roles. I ignore the order of the text and try to help people work it out. I'm upfront and honest about where I am best, second best, OK, and absolutely terrible (ADC, I can't position correctly, too used to initiators). It has worked well for me.
So you are saying that when you get two or three players with this unfortunate perspective that there is nothing to be done other than hope you get a reasonable composition and players that attempt to win, instead of players that are out to ruin the fun of others over a perceived slight? Or worse that these games are unavoidable and this is the reason for the dodge mechanic?

I'm terribly sorry, but when you are forced to chose the lesser of two evils, a third option needs to be found.

StriderXplosive

Recruiter

02-25-2013

if only this pick order and lane calling ordeal would be settled in a mechanical way by RIOT...this would all be solved. RIOT needs to take a stand or choose none to avoid the community from dissolving. Make it so that there is a QUE where you can choose one role and ONLY choose champions WITHIN said role. Or maybe a lottery style system where whoever in the room wants to play lets say TOP, you challenge another person to a match of rock, paper, scissors (sounds stupid but stay with me) and whoever wins gets to play said role without debate. THINGS CAN BE DONE TO SOLVE THIS DILEMMA!!! PUT YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME RIOT!

The Legend Of

02-25-2013

the problem that OP is talking about isnt as simply solved as talking it out most times because
a- people will always vastly overestimate their ownskill and underestimate other people at every level of the game

b- you have people who specifically only want to play one role, and then will go on to say things like "i only have 1 runepage" to make a point, or i only have XXX type champs.

c- people believing they are better then the other people in the game due to pick order, even though 2-3 wins could making first pick and last pick swap.

if its something as easy as being civil could change, a lot of people wouldnt have the problem in the firstplace, problem is people will generally do w/e they want, especially because there is no set "rule that one person must do one thing or respect any kind of order, and its the vague/non responsiveness that hurts the community. Even if the answer cameout to be something like call order>pick order as the official stance by riot, then it would make it so people would have to follow at least some semblance of the rules.