These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

March of Dimes

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
How will being as stubborn as them make your game experience better?
If someone breaks into my house and steals from me, but complains that it was hard to pick my lock, is it on me to ensure the door's unlocked the next time he comes?

I understand the consequences of not compromising, but do you really think this community is always going to cooperate? If the community is as good as you think it is, then shouldn't my team always be willing to compromise when I demand a role? Throw in the common mindset that everyone has to carry their team (because their team is weak/unreliable/etc)...if I'm looking out for #1, even when realizing that it's a team game, why would I ever let someone else take "my role"?

Ofc, I don't personally subscribe to that line of thought, but I also won't turn a blind eye to the fact that Riot's refusal to establish at least a default order when communication breaks down is enabling those selfish players in champ select.

ArmedRagnarok

02-25-2013

Quote:
Because I think we have a very good community overall. Remember, I'm playing games in bronze 2. The techniques I have described work well for me. I do not have Riot in my name, and have only been recognized in about 6, maybe 7 games.

Go home Griftrix, you are so drunk man.

Arcticfury

02-25-2013

Quote:
Why do you think I made a shaman and paladin who can switch roles? Why do you think they made dual specs? Communication and flexibility.
Those were my two mains as well, Blood Elf Pally and Tauren Shaman. But, WoW solved this by making it WAY too easy to raid as the solution, so that you often only needed 1 tank and 1 healer.

We have a ton of champs to pick from so we don't want an EZ Button, we want order. Just create a rule that is enforceable.

hashinshin

02-25-2013

Quote:
Why do you think I made a shaman and paladin who can switch roles? Why do you think they made dual specs? Communication and flexibility.
As a druid I can tell you for certain that "can" simply becomes "will."

"Hey I'm a feral druid, but I can heal if we really need to" instantly means "I'm the healer" to the ravenous flock of people who never want to touch anything that isn't pure damage. They don't care about you. They don't want to compromise with you. They want you to do what they don't want to do.

If you want to fix the system it needs to start with far more fun suppots like Thresh being released, instead of the typical girly female pixie dust support stereotype.

phatcat09

02-25-2013

Quote:
WRONG System design did.

There is no role switching in LoL there is no duel speccing because once you pick a character you have to dedicate to being that role.

And it was K

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImogenArk View Post
I'll throw this out there.

I'm pretty sure the only reason why I have my yellow honor ribbon is because I allow myself to be forced into supporting and don't complain about it....
I main jungle and support because I allow myself to be forced into it without complaining about it. I genuinely enjoy the roles and do my best to get better at the two, because they're what I play the most. But, if I had a choice, I'd be a top lane main.

I don't talk much once the actual games starts, but, if I remember correctly, I have ~70 teamwork honors, compared to under 20 of the rest, and it's from trying to be friendly and get my team to work together. I don't understand why you and Griftrix keep glossing over my main point, though:

I can be as friendly and flexible a doormat as possible and I still get screwed because I CANNOT stop two other stubborn players from fighting amongst themselves.

At best I can mediate and that doesn't always work out well.

PsionicApe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

How is the race to type a role (especially from a later round of picking in draft) communicating?

How does a player that refuses to type more than three letters reinforce that they are just as good a player as you are?

I try to go into ranked without a superiority complex (you know, the one where players don't deserve to be at this rank, they are much better but the 'trash players' around them are holding them back, and they have to carry teams) but when players take this attitude, and demand roles without ever attempting to communicate, or work with me in champion selection...tell me why I should pick something other than the role I feel can help myself and the teammates that actually act like they want to win a game with teammates?

You can blur the lines all you want about pick order vs calling roles; yes both are inherently 'incorrect' but so many folks here incorrectly assume that calling a role is communicating, when it couldn't be further from the truth. This is the rage that reasonable players are experiencing, when they feel powerless to stop the problem.

tehdef

02-25-2013

Quote:
Why do you think they made role queues then? Hrm? Please, I date you to try to answer that without first realizing that nearly every person wants one for this game because this system we use right now sucks ass.

Showdwn

02-25-2013

Quote:
I like the WoW idea, I would totally be willing to wait longer to get a team of people who didn't trade their brains for fart-in-a-jars.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
15 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartyx View Post
When you used the word Opportunity Cost, i almost died, you are my hero, i dont think i have ever heard that term used correctly, thank you so much, faith in humanity has been restored
I had 1 intro to econ class . I'm glad you enjoyed this.