Female LoL Players

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kakyoin Noriaki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-24-2013

Man...you rule, Schmick.

I mean...woman, you rule...nevermind, not worth it. :/

Aside from pestering further about the data behind the gender statistics that were put out by Riot previously, I don't really have anything else to add as all my questions were answered and I have no more at the time. I'm glad this thread has gone places and I'd love to see more input from others as well.

On a side note...Schmick, do you think when the time comes I can get my 3000th win with you? I'm a lowly bot game player (having spent ~4 years in PVP scum city in another MMO before League, player toxicity gets to me too much so I avoid it entirely), but I appreciate the effort you've put into addressing the issues in this thread and I want to play with someone like you at least once. I just finished my 2,842nd game so I'm almost there!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sornvru

Member

02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
Thank you.
Personally, when I'm talking to someone and they repeatedly refer to me as he or him, or address me in other very masculine ways, it makes me cringe. It just feels *wrong* in a way I can't explain unless you have felt it yourself. After enough times, you finally correct the speaker because it just bothers you to be identified in a way that is the opposite of your nature. The only thing I can provide to try to help guys understand is a thought experiment where you imagine being on the other side of that coin, talking to someone who doesn't know your gender and who keeps calling you she or her. If it doesn't bother you, then maybe it's not something that affects all people. I'm guessing, though, that there are other females out there that correct people for this same reason. I'm not saying that females looking for attention don't exist or that my reason is the reason that all females do it, just bringing up another view point.
As a male player, I've always found this the most interesting discussion in terms of gender. I certainly understand why you would feel uncomfortable with this, as I would not want anyone to automatically assume I was female in the same regard.

I believe there are two possible solutions for this issue. Some may not like both options, but I think either way is a good choice.

Option 1:
Refer to everyone as "they" or "them." This is the method I generally chose, as its easy and nobody is likely to have a problem with. The only downside is it can sound odd in many sentences because of the singular / plural issue, like "Our Jaina needs wards, they should buy a Sightstone."

Option 2:
Refer to the player by their character's gender. I tend to play a lot of female champions. If I'm playing Riven or Katarina, I generally would rather people call me "she" instead of "he" unless I know them, because it sounds better. "Katarina got a kill, he is so fed" sounds as odd as using "they" to describe people. Sure, the player is almost certainly male, but for the sake of being fair and making more sense, using the character's gender is much easier.


A lot of people in gaming news and commentary use "they" if they're unsure of a player's gender because its easy and safe. The other issue is, what if you have someone who fits neither "he" or "she?" What are you supposed to call them then?

I think this is an issue that should be discussed more because its easy to deal with, but since many gaming communities are so male-dominated, many people don't consider issues when it comes to dealing with female players, because they don't have to.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arachnelis

Senior Member

02-25-2013

I'm a woman who plays league, decided to get into it on my own. In fact my husband, who used to play, said he never recommended it to me because he didn't think it would be my kind of game. Funny, because I am really competitive.

In my experience harrassment that starts purely because of gender coming out for whatever reason, happened much more often in the leveling up to 30. After 30, it didn't seem to happen as much fortunately.

I've only bothered to correct people in game when I get constantly referred to as he even when I'm playing a female character. Usually I refer to people as their characters gender and I don't mind when others do the same.

Most of the time when I would make friends in league and we would eventually get in skype and they would express a lot of surprise(and I do mean a LOT) that I was a girl. Once it was to the point that they said something about how they would have acted differently if they thought I was a girl(which I would prefer not to happen, honestly.) I thought it was odd at first that I was always assumed to be a guy, given that my name is from a female mythological character, but yeah, I can guess that most people playing league don't read mythology.

And for the "what girls play" record, I mostly play Tanks, Jungle and Adc lately. I started out doing AP mid for a while, then I tried out adc, then I moved onto support for a while until I wanted to learn jungle. I like to be versatile. Although I really don't understand why so many people look down on support. It takes more than people think.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Macaroni

Senior Member

02-25-2013

I use character names. I don't often talk in chat, but when I'm callin shots or need to alert people of stuff I use who they're playing. Like.... Kat come to dragon, or teemo stop feeding (jk I'm not mean o.o)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DireDust

Junior Member

02-25-2013

Girl here as well, with a slightly different story. I'm married as well but my husband and I play together all the time. I actually didn't want to get into this game at first, after seeing how many hours my husband was plugging into it. There were a couple times we were late to outings because he had to "finish up the game". (Reply back with "Why did you start it in the first place?" and then the ensuing argument.) But after a couple of times of watching him over his shoulder and getting the basic idea of how everything worked, I decided to give it a try.

Being a girl on a mostly-boy game isn't that bad. I've never gotten harassed because of my name specifically or anything like that. When my friends find out that I'm a girl they sort of treat me like Li Shang when Mulan is leaving to go back home to her family at the end of the movie. (The whole awkward pauses and "You fight well." stuff.) Which to me is absolutely hilarious. Any time my friends make quips or jabs at me being a girl they know to be careful how much they dish out, because I'll give it right back. It's not being mean, but if you're going to go out of your way to make a point, I'm going to let you know what I think about you too.

As far as playstyles, I main AP mid. I can also Support and ADC but mid is my home. I started playing ranged bursty mids as soon as I got enough IP to buy my first champion and I've stayed that way ever since.

@ Riot, if I may. As a girl my only true complaint (if you can call it that) is the lack of fanservice you give to us half a dozen girl players there are. :P There is only so much of staring at Varus before you want to tell the poor emo kid to go have some ice cream.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aurnia

Senior Member

02-25-2013

I always just refer to people by their champ's gender/champ. So far no one has ever been bothered by it, and it makes a lot of sense to me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Toxcydia

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Girl, as well.
I usually don't point it out because of trolls/harassment. It also invite the many "Will you be my girlfriend?" messages. And if it's not the messages you get harassed because a lot of guys just can't get over the fact that a girl just might be better than them at a male-dominant thing. "Oh you're probably some fat chick that eats doughnuts in front of the tv all the time and can't get a boyfriend". I've actually had that said to me before. Lol.

Same thing when I play XBOX. 90% of the players you encounter are guys who just don't understand the concept of a girl gamer. It's like global warming or Atlantis. They just can't comprehend it. But there comes a time when you join a party chat on Skype or XBOX LIVE and they just flip out because you've known them for months and they never knew you were a girl.

As a LoL Player I pretty much play every spot. I'm usually the one who fills the last spot, whatever hasn't been taken. I prefer to Jungle, mid or ADC. I'm a very meh support and prefer not to play one if there is a better player for it. Top is something I can do but usually don't because I always get stuck with a double lane or Darius/Xin Xhao.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LOOOOONG CAT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Women do not exist on the Internet


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LOOOOONG CAT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxcydia View Post
Girl, as well.
I usually don't point it out because of trolls/harassment. It also invite the many "Will you be my girlfriend?" messages. And if it's not the messages you get harassed because a lot of guys just can't get over the fact that a girl just might be better than them at a male-dominant thing. "Oh you're probably some fat chick that eats doughnuts in front of the tv all the time and can't get a boyfriend". I've actually had that said to me before. Lol.

Same thing when I play XBOX. 90% of the players you encounter are guys who just don't understand the concept of a girl gamer. It's like global warming or Atlantis. They just can't comprehend it. But there comes a time when you join a party chat on Skype or XBOX LIVE and they just flip out because you've known them for months and they never knew you were a girl.

As a LoL Player I pretty much play every spot. I'm usually the one who fills the last spot, whatever hasn't been taken. I prefer to Jungle, mid or ADC. I'm a very meh support and prefer not to play one if there is a better player for it. Top is something I can do but usually don't because I always get stuck with a double lane or Darius/Xin Xhao.
You know why people do that? It's because 90% of the time that a girl says "I'm a girl" it's so they get special treatment/feel special... Girls do not exist on the Internet because saying you're a girl is just begging for special treatment


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotSchmick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Software Engineer

Follow RiotSchmick on Twitter

02-25-2013
16 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakyoin Noriaki View Post
Man...you rule, Schmick.

I mean...woman, you rule...nevermind, not worth it. :/

Aside from pestering further about the data behind the gender statistics that were put out by Riot previously, I don't really have anything else to add as all my questions were answered and I have no more at the time. I'm glad this thread has gone places and I'd love to see more input from others as well.

On a side note...Schmick, do you think when the time comes I can get my 3000th win with you? I'm a lowly bot game player (having spent ~4 years in PVP scum city in another MMO before League, player toxicity gets to me too much so I avoid it entirely), but I appreciate the effort you've put into addressing the issues in this thread and I want to play with someone like you at least once. I just finished my 2,842nd game so I'm almost there!
Sure,no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sornvru View Post
As a male player, I've always found this the most interesting discussion in terms of gender. I certainly understand why you would feel uncomfortable with this, as I would not want anyone to automatically assume I was female in the same regard.

I believe there are two possible solutions for this issue. Some may not like both options, but I think either way is a good choice.

Option 1:
Refer to everyone as "they" or "them." This is the method I generally chose, as its easy and nobody is likely to have a problem with. The only downside is it can sound odd in many sentences because of the singular / plural issue, like "Our Jaina needs wards, they should buy a Sightstone."

Option 2:
Refer to the player by their character's gender. I tend to play a lot of female champions. If I'm playing Riven or Katarina, I generally would rather people call me "she" instead of "he" unless I know them, because it sounds better. "Katarina got a kill, he is so fed" sounds as odd as using "they" to describe people. Sure, the player is almost certainly male, but for the sake of being fair and making more sense, using the character's gender is much easier.

A lot of people in gaming news and commentary use "they" if they're unsure of a player's gender because its easy and safe. The other issue is, what if you have someone who fits neither "he" or "she?" What are you supposed to call them then?

I think this is an issue that should be discussed more because its easy to deal with, but since many gaming communities are so male-dominated, many people don't consider issues when it comes to dealing with female players, because they don't have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I use character names. I don't often talk in chat, but when I'm callin shots or need to alert people of stuff I use who they're playing. Like.... Kat come to dragon, or teemo stop feeding (jk I'm not mean o.o)
I usually use character names and the pronouns relevant to the character's gender, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOOOONG CAT View Post
You know why people do that? It's because 90% of the time that a girl says "I'm a girl" it's so they get special treatment/feel special... Girls do not exist on the Internet because saying you're a girl is just begging for special treatment
I disagree. I already gave an alternate explanation earlier in the thread. Yes, sometimes they do that, but it's not the only possible reason.