@Riot, What's your opinion on Youmuu's Ghostblade?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fenix9000

02-24-2013

Bump

AquaDragon42

02-24-2013

bump

Talith PA

02-24-2013

Favorite item in the game. Youmuu + Whisper goes on pretty much all of my ADs unless I want to be an ad support bruiser and build cleaver.

cocacolalips

02-24-2013

They managed somehow to ruin the active with the season 3 overhaul. HAHAHAH Big joke.
Idk

I used to like it on some melee auto attackers, but It feels like there's no much reason to pick it anymore over the big items.

SmashGizmo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

QA Analyst

02-24-2013
4 of 7 Riot Posts

Ghostblade is, IMO, exceptionally good in two specific scenarios.

1. Sole offensive item in an otherwise defensive bruiser build. This is what I do on Xin and Irelia nowadays (and for the record, if you get brutalizer on Vi, I personally think ghostblade is better on her than Cleaver, though I don't build either anymore). Characters who do builds like these excel in 3-6 second engagement windows, where you can have Ghostblade activated, which is where the item shines. As long as you are engaging with the active available, Ghostblade is giving you 30 AD, 40 AS, 15% Crit, 20 ArPen and the movement speed you need to stick as a Melee for 2700 gold. This mix of stats is very strong and self contained and extremely cost effective.

2. In AD caster builds. 20 ArPen is very strong on AD casters and the active gives you something to do while you wait for CDs. Ghostblade is essentially the better skirmish level upgrade to brutalizer for these characters while Cleaver is the better teamfight level upgrade. People seem to get scared off by the Crit and also still seem to be stuck in the League of Cleavers mindset and default to Black Cleaver, but Ghostblade is a viable and strong alternative on these characters.

Dextrocasual

02-24-2013

What about ghostblade on a ranged adc? I used to put it into my Kog'maw build when I was pre-level 30. I actually got my first and only pentakill with the active popped.

Anyone else every build into a ranged adc build?

AquaDragon42

02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashGizmo View Post
Ghostblade is, IMO, exceptionally good in two specific scenarios.

1. Sole offensive item in an otherwise defensive bruiser build. This is what I do on Xin and Irelia nowadays (and for the record, if you get brutalizer on Vi, I personally think ghostblade is better on her than Cleaver, though I don't build either anymore). Characters who do builds like these excel in 3-6 second engagement windows, where you can have Ghostblade activated, which is where the item shines. As long as you are engaging with the active available, Ghostblade is giving you 30 AD, 40 AS, 15% Crit, 20 ArPen and the movement speed you need to stick as a Melee for 2700 gold. This mix of stats is very strong and self contained and extremely cost effective.

2. In AD caster builds. 20 ArPen is very strong on AD casters and the active gives you something to do while you wait for CDs. Ghostblade is essentially the better skirmish level upgrade to brutalizer for these characters while Cleaver is the better teamfight level upgrade. People seem to get scared off by the Crit and also still seem to be stuck in the League of Cleavers mindset and default to Black Cleaver, but Ghostblade is a viable and strong alternative on these characters.
Actually, Ghost Blade might be better on Vi. She already has a % armor shred with Denting Blows, so flat Armor Pen will help greatly. You then have the active which will help you apply more stacks of Denting Blow with out having to rely entirely on Excessive Force and auto attacks (which she would have to do if she got Black Cleaver). Other than Trinity Force and Berserker's Greaves (though I personally use Merc Treads or Boots of Swiftness on her) there arent really any other attack speed items for her that I can think of. And with her in the jungle, building an early Avarice Blade will help give her extra gold to get better items as well as more wards. (though personally I think warding should be done by everyone, not just supports and junglers)

Emerald Acid

02-24-2013

I get Ghostblade and Black Cleaver together when I play tanky bruisers such as Nocturne and Xin, usually paired with Warmogs, Maw, and either Frozen Heart or Randuin's. Usually Randuins. It works especially well with Nocturne since Duskbringer is a big steroid on its' own, and the combined anti-armor effects and some random crits make him do deceptively good damage.

SmashGizmo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

QA Analyst

02-24-2013
5 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrocasual View Post
What about ghostblade on a ranged adc? I used to put it into my Kog'maw build when I was pre-level 30. I actually got my first and only pentakill with the active popped.

Anyone else every build into a ranged adc build?
Ranged characters only get the active for 4 seconds and tend to have considerably longer engagement windows than bruisers. The item is not meant for ranged ADs and does work particularly well on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDragon42 View Post
Actually, Ghost Blade might be better on Vi. She already has a % armor shred with Denting Blows, so flat Armor Pen will help greatly. You then have the active which will help you apply more stacks of Denting Blow with out having to rely entirely on Excessive Force and auto attacks (which she would have to do if she got Black Cleaver). Other than Trinity Force and Berserker's Greaves (though I personally use Merc Treads or Boots of Swiftness on her) there arent really any other attack speed items for her that I can think of. And with her in the jungle, building an early Avarice Blade will help give her extra gold to get better items as well as more wards. (though personally I think warding should be done by everyone, not just supports and junglers)
Personally, I'm a big fan of Wit's End on Vi vs. double AP comps.

Also, we saw a ghostblade/triforce/warmog's build on Shushei's Vi today in the Eu LCS. I'd say avarice first is probably a trap in the Ghostblade buildup because of how powerful brutalizer is to get early.

Irisaurus Rex

02-24-2013

they cant buff it. it will make certain champs too good. yi