So does anybody buy any other boot enchantments besides Homeguard and Furor?

First Riot Post
12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

True Sketch

02-24-2013

Homeguard is really strange because it is ridiculously strong late game when your base is dessicated. Ever had an Amumu fly at you like a speeding jet late game?

Alacrity feels really.....meh. Maybe except for champs with MS multipliers I wouldn't consider it. Singed maybe?

I love the idea of Captain Boots. Get your support to get a pair and your initiator and all of a sudden your team has 8% increased MS. It's just Homeguard are cheaper and hard to pass up.

Distortion boots lol

Edit: Holy sheet did not expect a red post! Should I be this emotional as it's my first one in 3 years?? ;__;

shppy

02-24-2013

i buy distortion when i run ghost. Which is the majority of the time.

Being able to have ghost up every single teamfight makes a big difference. The timing between teamfights lategame tends to be paced such that with distortion's ghost cd it'll be up in time for every fight, while it won't be without distortion

i probably wouldn't get them if i took flash though.

Cenerae

02-24-2013

I get Alacrity sometimes on movespeed needy champs, but homeguard's just too good most of the time really.

Rewdas

02-24-2013

I get Captain on hard initiators Like Leona or Amumu.

Saruyan

02-24-2013

i just find it funny that when the patch first came, everyone was going

"WTF DECREASED COOLDOWN ON FLASH ARE YOU KIDDING ME THATS GONNA BE SO BROKEN"

and now pretty much no one buys it.

B3ER

02-24-2013

If homeguard doesn't have the instant heal portion, it'll be closer to balanced. These boots are great even in mid game for when you're trying to splitpush 2 lanes. Recall, race to bot, clear 2 waves. Recall, race to top, clear 2 waves. No one in bronze/silver solo queue can keep up with this.

DeathByWaffle

02-24-2013

I buy Alacrity all the time. It's pretty much another set of ms quints

Scarizard

Live Balance Designer

02-24-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

I think holistically that it's less important if something like Distortion or Captain are bought a lot of the time, but instead if they feel powerful and fulfilling the times you -do- buy them.

A lot of our plans for S3 itemization were to make a variability of options that feel good when the situation calls for them - Is this the game for Shiv, or PD? Do i turn this pick into a Twin Shadows or a Shard of True Ice? Stuff like that - and i think boot enchants have been a success in that regard.

Alacrity are sort of the 'generalist' boots, and maybe that's why you don't feel excitement around it. It's sort of that 'hey guys i want to upgrade my boots too, what should i get?' You can't go wrong with Alacrity. It's pretty good on dudes who just want flat MS - i'll get it on bruisers, mages, and ADC's alike. Pairs well with swiftness boots (vroom vroom).

Furor i've actually been getting on more mages lately than i have AD carries - since more often than not it's not that i want to stick to people as a carry, it's that i want to escape and re-engage after peel. Elise, Kat, Viktor, Kayle with furor boots feel awesome (esp in combo with Viktor's awesome yellow augment - Q FOR HYPER DRIVE).

Distortion boots are a little wonky only in that you have to plan ahead for wanting to get them. Unlike Homeguard, or Alacrity, or Furor where you can feel smart for being like 'oh man this would be awesome to have right now', unless you got Flash/TP, TP/Ghost, or Flash/Ghost, you never have that 'Aha!' moment. This one's interesting though - i've had a lot of success with it when i ran any of the aforementioned combos, but we've also seen dudes like Alex Ich and Ambition from pro-level games going Flash/TP on Ryze and grabbing Sorc + Distortion, often times before their first real item. This one requires more work to get use out of, but is definitely incredibly powerful.

I'm pretty sure i don't need to say anything about homeguard boots...everyone loves having hotwheels as they run out of base.

Flim and Flam

02-24-2013

Furor for ADCs and some other carries
Homeguard for some junglers and if you are being pushed / losing your match
Distortion if you are running 2 of the spells (like Shen; flash + teleport)
Captain for supports
Alacrity for everyone else, 15 movement speed is a big deal during chases, and late game chases are pretty important to secure aces. Flat movement speed is always better than conditional movement speed. Furor only gives about 35 MS that degrades over time if you AA or hit someone with something, which is really on useful for hardcore kiters.

Caítlyn

02-24-2013

Another Riot post that ignores common sense and lists 1 or 2 "counterexamples" as "hey I bought the other boots once!" and "X pro does this"

12345 ... 7