Improved health bars, coming soon to a league near you!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Acidic Banana

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-23-2013

dfsdf

Zerokata

Shamanancer

Recruiter

02-23-2013

Cool!

Super Lous

02-23-2013

I approve!

sako

02-23-2013

please change the health boarders, they are very large and take up a lot of space you could just remove them and put the health and mana bars on top of each other. also the health bar lines could drop all the way to the bottom instead of half way...thats my wish for the changes

zarst

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Hello Summoners,

Since the launch of the game, it's been hard to see how much health a champion has. We've revisited our assumptions in what information needs to be clearly conveyed to players and updated the champion health bars to handler higher health.

Here you can see how the original health bars worked:

Attachment 620771

Once Amumu passed 3,200 health, the notches stopped increasing and it is very hard to count how much health an opponent has.

Here, Amumu is modelling the new health bars:
Attachment 620772

When you cross the 1,000 health threshold, a full, dark tick now appears. This makes it easier to see how many thousands of health your opponent has.

While we tried many, many iterations, we chose this one because it balanced between familiarity (no need to re-learn what 1 tick means!) and clarity past 2,000 health.

What do you think?

"A different view..." - Kha'zix
is there a reason we still have not done this to the mana bar? I want to know how much mana they have too

BigBaR0n

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2013

I really like it. I've played it on PBE and it's really nice. Good job Riot

DeNig

02-24-2013

This is some cool stuff

Brackhar

Features Designer

02-24-2013
8 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianary View Post
To help with the concern of what an empty bar looks like, when the bar is drained the thick black lines should turn white (Over the missing health portions)

Then you keep the clear indicator of how much total health the champion has and can easily judge how much that sliver remaining represents.
That's actually a pretty neat idea. I'll ask Xelnath to test it out come Monday.

Biooutbreak

02-24-2013

what are the developers thoughts to doing this health bar visual upgrade to dragon/baron/towers/minions?