Female LoL Players

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Toxicosis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2013

Let's see.. among the females that I know of.. an overwhelming majority prefer mid or ADC.

Spookypatrol

02-23-2013

I'm a female Actually, it's amusing, because people swear up and down that I'm male in my threads, even though one of them is of a topless Draven << >> I actually kinda like it in a roundabout way; means my thread isn't so blatantly fanservicey for women and males can enjoy it as well.

I really can't blame people assuming you're male when 90% of the playerbase is male, though. I personally know a grand total of... four women who play League? (excluding myself. And one is a friend of mine I conned into playing.)

So yeah, thought I'd give my two cents~ I'm not really *bothered* that people assume everyone's a guy just because of the huge discrepancy in the statistics. There are roughly as many female players in League as there are left-handed people in the world (I happen to be both... hahah.)

mochibuni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2013

I actually prefer AP mid, but often play Support as I synergize best with my team's usual ADC.

I know many women who play LoL. They usually play mid, top, and jungle (in fact, I think I'm the only that consistently plays support). The only thing that bothers me is when we're harassed for being women. :\

Kakyoin Noriaki

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
To answer the second question, I think the only way in which it is problematic for Riot is that it's not okay for a person to be treated poorly, regardless of their gender. I don't really care what someone's reason is for treating another person badly, just that if they do, it is an issue for Riot, as well as the community. Lyte and the rest of Player Behavior team are always working on ways to improve our community and how people treat each other in the game.

To the original question, I have experierenced both types of attention. The negative attention is the same, for me, as any other kind of trolling. When a person starts insulting me for being female, or saying I suck or making sexist comments, well then I ignore them. It's the same thing I do when I'm playing with someone who has no idea I'm female, and starts saying racist things that may not apply to me directly, but I find offensive just the same. There was one game where someone on the other team told one of my team mates, "I hope your mom gets cancer." I find that to be the most awful and offensive thing I've ever heard, more so than any negative attention that was ever directed at me for being a girl. So I don't really judge the category of offensive to be relevant as much as the degree. If someone is being offensive, then I don't really care *in what way*. I just ignore them, enjoy my game, and report them after. No reason to let their baggage ruin my good time.

Now as far as positive attention, I'm not sure what exactly that means. Does it mean being flirted with or chatted up, or does it mean someone being super excited that you are a girl gamer and giving you props, or does it mean something else? The former has happened to me, the latter, no. The former is just a neutral thing in my opinion. People flirt and interact socially in all kinds of mediums, and if someone wants to do that in a video game, I won't hold it against them. The latter, if we want to be seen as equal, then we can't really be upset that no one makes a big deal out of us being there and doing our thing.

One other thing I want to comment on is the guys saying that if you let it be known that you are a girl, then you are just looking for attention. I have corrected people before, although I don't always, and the reason is something quite different actually. One's gender is inextricably tied to one's self-identity, in a profound way. Personally, when I'm talking to someone and they repeatedly refer to me as he or him, or address me in other very masculine ways, it makes me cringe. It just feels *wrong* in a way I can't explain unless you have felt it yourself. After enough times, you finally correct the speaker because it just bothers you to be identified in a way that is the opposite of your nature. The only thing I can provide to try to help guys understand is a thought experiment where you imagine being on the other side of that coin, talking to someone who doesn't know your gender and who keeps calling you she or her. If it doesn't bother you, then maybe it's not something that affects all people. I'm guessing, though, that there are other females out there that correct people for this same reason. I'm not saying that females looking for attention don't exist or that my reason is the reason that all females do it, just bringing up another view point.
Schmick delivers, thanks for taking time to respond!

RiotSchmick

Software Engineer

Follow RiotSchmick on Twitter

02-23-2013
14 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakyoin Noriaki View Post
Schmick delivers, thanks for taking time to respond!
Aww, that's all you have to say? I thought you wanted a *discussion*. : P

Bith

02-23-2013

can we get an ETA on sona skin where she "plays" a kitchen counter

HolyChalice

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
Lol, I even said I was a woman in this thread.
Yeah I read over it was a spur of the moment thing didn't realise it myself. Don't know why I got downvoted was just putting my thoughts in a post but whatever community at it's best.

KeriLynne

02-23-2013

When I signed up for LoL I had no clue that because I was a female I'd be given a hard time. Still considering changing my summoner name to a more "Gender neutral" one. But then again, I've seen males trolled just as hard as I am. I'd prefer people not to know because in my bad games I don't like hearing "get back to the kitchen" and "go back to making sandwiches"

HolyChalice

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriLynne View Post
When I signed up for LoL I had no clue that because I was a female I'd be given a hard time. Still considering changing my summoner name to a more "Gender neutral" one. But then again, I've seen males trolled just as hard as I am. I'd prefer people not to know because in my bad games I don't like hearing "get back to the kitchen" and "go back to making sandwiches"
Don't even know why people use that overused phrase anymore when it's not true I see more guys now a days cooking meals for their women then the other way around

PDiddy

02-23-2013

The best lol player ive ever personally played with (besides, TD_Ziggs) was a female.