Syndra Lore Questions!

First Riot Post
12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Incinerate

Senior Member

02-22-2013

Hi, Rioters. I'm hoping to get some clarification regarding Syndra's lore. I know you're busy and not every aspect of every champion has been fleshed out yet, but I would really appreciate some answers to some of my many questions.

1. What are her "dark spheres"? Are they magically enchanted orbs? Do they have any relevance to time-space? Where does she draw her powers from?

2. What does she think of Swain and Noxus and WHAT DOES SWAIN and NOXUS think of Syndra? Are petty squabbles between inferior beings beneath her? Does she even know who or what they are because of her time spent in isolation? Does Swain and Noxus consider her to be a threat? Have there been any recruitment efforts by Noxus to recruit this dark mage?

3. Does she eat food to receive nutrients? She's an extremely powerful dark mage which leads me to think she is able to extract energy from alternative sources. I just can't imagine Syndra stuffing her face with french fries.

4. Has she ever seen a yordle before? What is her relationship with Veigar?

5. Does she have any ties to the void? Does she realize that the void is vastly more powerful than anything she can conjure? Has she ever attempted to bend the void to her will in an effort to achieve more power? It's not just her spell effects that ultimately push me to this conclusion. Syndra personality revolves around getting more power. She's also overconfident. From what I understand, she probably thinks she's more than capable of using the void as a tool without having to succumb to the corruption that the void brings?

6. Has she killed a summoner that has crossed the line before? She hates the idea of being controlled so would she kill a summoner if they took advantage of their position?

7. She's loves asserting dominance and control over less powerful beings. Has she tried conjuring/summoning other powerful entities?

8. Syndra's lore doesn't mention her childhood or family. Did one or both of her parents die or go missing? Has she tried to search or resurrect them?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harrow

Associate Creative Designer

02-23-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira the Seer View Post
Hi, Rioters. I'm hoping to get some clarification regarding Syndra's lore. I know you're busy and not every aspect of every champion has been fleshed out yet, but I would really appreciate some answers to some of my many questions.

1. What are her "dark spheres"? Are they magically enchanted orbs? Do they have any relevance to time-space? Where does she draw her powers from?

2. What does she think of Swain and Noxus and WHAT DOES SWAIN and NOXUS think of Syndra? Are petty squabbles between inferior beings beneath her? Does she even know who or what they are because of her time spent in isolation? Does Swain and Noxus consider her to be a threat? Have there been any recruitment efforts by Noxus to recruit this dark mage?

3. Does she eat food to receive nutrients? She's an extremely powerful dark mage which leads me to think she is able to extract energy from alternative sources. I just can't imagine Syndra stuffing her face with french fries.

4. Has she ever seen a yordle before? What is her relationship with Veigar?

5. Does she have any ties to the void? Does she realize that the void is vastly more powerful than anything she can conjure? Has she ever attempted to bend the void to her will in an effort to achieve more power? It's not just her spell effects that ultimately push me to this conclusion. Syndra personality revolves around getting more power. She's also overconfident. From what I understand, she probably thinks she's more than capable of using the void as a tool without having to succumb to the corruption that the void brings?

6. Has she killed a summoner that has crossed the line before? She hates the idea of being controlled so would she kill a summoner if they took advantage of their position?

7. She's loves asserting dominance and control over less powerful beings. Has she tried conjuring/summoning other powerful entities?

8. Syndra's lore doesn't mention her childhood or family. Did one or both of her parents die or go missing? Has she tried to search or resurrect them?
1) Syndra doesn't fully understand her power - which is partly due to her restrained "training" - but essentially she is condensing some kind of magic around her into something she can manipulate. Maybe she'll later discover that she has a connection to something darker or a unique inherited talent.

2) Syndra lives in isolation just now, only concerned with understanding herself and her power and preparing to fight those who enforce "balance." I doubt she's reached out to learn about politics of the rest of the world yet. Similarly, no official Noxian effort has been made to bring her over to their side - Noxians are usually smart enough not to immediately trust someone as unknown and unpredictable as Syndra. But I wouldn't at all be surprised if someone power-hungry/stupid enough went out alone to try and recruit or manipulate her to aid their own advancement in Noxus...

3) She does have to eat, yeah, she hasn't discovered any way to work around that yet. There are a great many powerful mages in Valoran, yet food is still a concern. Besides, eating is awesome, I personally wouldn't give it up.

4) She never saw any in her childhood. I think she would underestimate Veigar's power and see him as a joke. People like Syndra are why Veigar has such an inferiority complex ;_;

5) She hasn't dabbled in the Void yet, she wouldn't have even been aware of it in her youth. Syndra believes that her innate talents could bring her incredible power so long as she's left alone to explore them. She also values self-possession above all else, so the idea that another force could potentially overtake her mind would make her incredibly wary. Her confidence could eventually override that wariness, but so long as she doesn't feel like she needs the Void, I doubt she'd actively choose to explore it.

Having said that, she doesn't truly know the origin of her power yet. Who knows?

6) We haven't told a story where this has happened, obviously, but she has killed a person for trying to control her before. If a summoner tried to use her or manipulate her...I don't think it would go well for them.

7) No part of her power allows her to outright create sentient beings, nor does she know how to summon creatures from other places. She doesn't have mind manipulation powers either, so besides being able to throw her summoned creatures around, she wouldn't be able to directly control their actions.

8) Her parents are both alive and were both willing to give her up to Ionian authorities. Syndra likely lumps them in with everyone else who conspired to steal her youth and freedom away from her, but she doesn't know the full story. Her reunion with her parents would be a really interesting story to tell.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeWhoSpectates

Senior Member

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
1) Syndra doesn't fully understand her power - which is partly due to her restrained "training" - but essentially she is condensing some kind of magic around her into something she can manipulate. Maybe she'll later discover that she has a connection to something darker or a unique inherited talent.

2) Syndra lives in isolation just now, only concerned with understanding herself and her power and preparing to fight those who enforce "balance." I doubt she's reached out to learn about politics of the rest of the world yet. Similarly, no official Noxian effort has been made to bring her over to their side - Noxians are usually smart enough not to immediately trust someone as unknown and unpredictable as Syndra. But I wouldn't at all be surprised if someone power-hungry/stupid enough went out alone to try and recruit or manipulate her to aid their own advancement in Noxus...

3) She does have to eat, yeah, she hasn't discovered any way to work around that yet. There are a great many powerful mages in Valoran, yet food is still a concern. Besides, eating is awesome, I personally wouldn't give it up.

4) She never saw any in her childhood. I think she would underestimate Veigar's power and see him as a joke. People like Syndra are why Veigar has such an inferiority complex ;_;

5) She hasn't dabbled in the Void yet, she wouldn't have even been aware of it in her youth. Syndra believes that her innate talents could bring her incredible power so long as she's left alone to explore them. She also values self-possession above all else, so the idea that another force could potentially overtake her mind would make her incredibly wary. Her confidence could eventually override that wariness, but so long as she doesn't feel like she needs the Void, I doubt she'd actively choose to explore it.

Having said that, she doesn't truly know the origin of her power yet. Who knows?

6) We haven't told a story where this has happened, obviously, but she has killed a person for trying to control her before. If a summoner tried to use her or manipulate her...I don't think it would go well for them.

7) No part of her power allows her to outright create sentient beings, nor does she know how to summon creatures from other places. She doesn't have mind manipulation powers either, so besides being able to throw her summoned creatures around, she wouldn't be able to directly control their actions.

8) Her parents are both alive and were both willing to give her up to Ionian authorities. Syndra likely lumps them in with everyone else who conspired to steal her youth and freedom away from her, but she doesn't know the full story. Her reunion with her parents would be a really interesting story to tell.
I've noticed this before and now I'm going to have to ask: Why do you guys from the "lore department" (I know, it's more complicated, but you know what I mean) like to say "maybe" and "sometimes" so much?
I don't want to be rude, but it makes me feel like you are making up the lore on the spot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CynicalGiant

Senior Member

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoSpectates View Post
I've noticed this before and now I'm going to have to ask: Why do you guys from the "lore department" (I know, it's more complicated, but you know what I mean) like to say "maybe" and "sometimes" so much?
I don't want to be rude, but it makes me feel like you are making up the lore on the spot.
Concrete story telling is bland.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RyuuMasken

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-23-2013

raise your hand if syndra's favorite food being french fries is now your head canon


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harrow

Associate Creative Designer

02-23-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoSpectates View Post
I've noticed this before and now I'm going to have to ask: Why do you guys from the "lore department" (I know, it's more complicated, but you know what I mean) like to say "maybe" and "sometimes" so much?
I don't want to be rude, but it makes me feel like you are making up the lore on the spot.
In my opinion, lore forum posts aren't the most exciting ways to actually develop character stories. I like to discuss characters and their backstories, sometimes clarifying things from their pasts, but things like Syndra's reactions to meeting her family or her first contact with a state like Noxus are awesome story possibilities. I'd hate to say something that resembles canon in a mere forum post rather than in a better storytelling medium in the future.

Besides, as the post below yours suggests, as a fan I find it fun to have a lot of room to speculate and develop my own theories about characters and settings. I like to try and nudge people towards discussion and debate rather than outright nail down facts about stories and interactions we haven't released.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nilous7

Senior Member

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
In my opinion, lore forum posts aren't the most exciting ways to actually develop character stories. I like to discuss characters and their backstories, sometimes clarifying things from their pasts, but things like Syndra's reactions to meeting her family or her first contact with a state like Noxus are awesome story possibilities. I'd hate to say something that resembles canon in a mere forum post rather than in a better storytelling medium in the future.

Besides, as the post below yours suggests, as a fan I find it fun to have a lot of room to speculate and develop my own theories about characters and settings. I like to try and nudge people towards discussion and debate rather than outright nail down facts about stories and interactions we haven't released.

If that's the case, then why did you do Quinn's hints the way you did? You did her in a disorganized, player-driven, forum thread.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotBuzzJack

Senior Member

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuuMasken View Post
raise your hand if syndra's favorite food being french fries is now your head canon
Does Valoran have french fries?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goau

Senior Member

02-23-2013

Transcending the Locus, a fan fiction I made about Xerath and Syndra. Chapters 6 and seven.

While it may not be canon, I like the idea of her parents not knowing she killed her former teacher and that, sometime after she began learning from said teacher, her younger brother was born.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcane Azmadi

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
Does Valoran have french fries?
It has Fiora, doesn't it? If you can have a French accent in a fantasy setting, you can have french fries.


12