Xelnath! A PLEA to reconsider the 200 HP Ticks! Begging for a response!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keskintilki

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
After some discussion with Brackhar, he felt comfortable allowing players to modify the contents of the GeneralCharacterData.ini file, if you are sufficiently technically capable of doing so.

So while this won't be officially supported, you won't be banned if you choose to *only* modify this file on your client. I don't know how this is done, I won't be supporting it, but here are the dark words you need to change inside the file to make 200 hp ticks happen:

Best of luck...
I must say, this is appreciated. I chimed in this thread because I wanted to give you guys a neutral argument to the benefits of using larger ticks. I for one am very glad to see that through good communication in the forums you can actually reach the developers. This in itself is very rare.

I only chimed in because I thought it was the superior of the 2 options, but wouldn't have cared enough to rage about it had you guys decided to go the 100 tick route (which you are), having said that, giving your player-base the option, even if it requires a little technical know-how should not go unnoticed. Whether or not I will choose to utilize this option is to be seen.

So, I'd just like to lay it out there.

Thank You for this.

Off topic: I also like how the OP's thread is now garnering more upvotes as it is moving into a positive direction since Xelnath's last post. OHHH GD......You so Fickle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ltachi

02-21-2013

Quote:
After some discussion with Brackhar, he felt comfortable allowing players to modify the contents of the GeneralCharacterData.ini file, if you are sufficiently technically capable of doing so.

So while this won't be officially supported, you won't be banned if you choose to *only* modify this file on your client. I don't know how this is done, I won't be supporting it, but here are the dark words you need to change inside the file to make 200 hp ticks happen:

Best of luck...
What's a MicroTick? I thought there were only two kinds of ticks. The 100 hp ones and the 1000 hp ones (MegaTicks).

MadCast VoShay

02-22-2013

A micro tick is maybe when the health bar chunks a little bit?

Krshna

02-22-2013

Quote:

Best of luck...
Xelnath!!!! Wizardlock, right hand of the 7th order of obsidian blackfire ebonstone dark Witchlords!!!! You are a god!!!!

Honestly though, I truly appreciate this. New undisputed best Rioter! Thank you Xelnath! Thank you.

Brackhar

Features Designer

02-22-2013
4 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltachi View Post
What's a MicroTick? I thought there were only two kinds of ticks. The 100 hp ones and the 1000 hp ones (MegaTicks).
In some of the iterations we had we had 3 types of ticks: MegaTicks (the big black ones), Ticks (the thinner lines you currently see) and Microticks (like ticks, but they don't draw all the way across the bar). Think of microticks to be the .5" markers on you 12" ruler. It thus was a way for us to call more attention to every 200hp marker while still compromising and having consistent 100hp markers.

Krshna

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoShay View Post
Now the only problem is finding the file!
I'm guessing that this file will only exist after the 1000 tick iteration goes live, since currently there is no file that would have anything to do with this PBE iteration on live! We can wait patiently and then savor the mercy that Xelnath and Brackhar have shown us!

I am overjoyed!

Krshna

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
In some of the iterations we had we had 3 types of ticks: MegaTicks (the big black ones), Ticks (the thinner lines you currently see) and Microticks (like ticks, but they don't draw all the way across the bar). Think of microticks to be the .5" markers on you 12" ruler.
Thank you for commenting and for helping, Brackhar. I was and am very passionate about this, since I truly and deeply believe that the 200 ticks are better for the UI. I can't thank you enough for your help here! Cheers!

Pyr

02-22-2013

Bump

messymike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2013

to people saying its hard to calculate the remaining hp of an enemy, why dont you just click on them? you get the actual number right there.... as well as their armor and MR to give you a very precise window of how much it would take to kill them...

overall i don't really care about what system becomes the norm. a change like this is purely cosmetic and will only take as long to get used to as the new shop UI did

KCIV4

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krshna View Post
Preface/TLDR: Xelnath, I would really appreciate it if you would comment either here, or elsewhere about the 200 Ticks. There has been total silence on the subject since they were removed from the PBE! In your OWN thread on the subject on the PBE, there is lots of support for the 200 ticks. Anyone can armchair balance, (reading Reign of Gaming or Surrenderat20), and say how much they hate the 200 ticks. But the majority of those of us who do REAL TESTING on the PBE, preferred the 200 ticks. I also was concerned at first by the change, but after a few games, it became absolutely clear that the 200 ticks were VASTLY more readable. Please read on.

I know a lot of people were put off at first impression by the 200 tick HP bars that were on the PBE a while ago.

The problem with this new one... it makes you realize how readable the HP was in the 200 tick format. For the small amount of time that was up, I was constantly reading exactly how much HP everyone has, almost as a game, since it was so easy and satisfying. Whereas usually, with the 100 tick format, you see squishy, kinda tanky, very tanky, etc

With the 200 tick format, your brain naturally reads how much HP someone has, like reading a clock. I would say to myself, "2100 HP... 3300 HP... 1800 HP", literally just out of a delight and amusement that it was now possible to easily read the ticks and see how much HP they have. Now that it's reverted, it's back to, "he's pretty tanky, a black tick is probably coming up...".

For whatever reason, having half the amount of ticks makes the brain read the information naturally and easily. Now that the 100 tick format is back on the PBE, I see now and feel myself getting less information from the UI. You don't even know you miss it until you have it. Until you play with it and try it, you don't get the real time sense of knowing exactly how tanky someone is, exactly how much HP they have.

The brain doesn't count the individual ticks when it's in 100 HP format. You just see "a lot of ticks". When it's in 200 tick format, the mind naturally reads how much HP they have, like a reading a clock.

People hated the new shop. Most people, like in your other thread concerning this iteration, will BEG you to keep the status quo. And not just on this. Be it HP Bars, balance, skins, anything, they will be mad if you change it. Everyone is used to the shop now. Make the change that you think is BEST FOR THE UI. People will always complain if you try to change anything, and cheer you if you announce you won't change it.

When I saw your official thread on this iteration and the overwhelming positive response on the 100 tick reversion my heart sunk. It will be truly unfortunate if the 200 tick change doesn't go through, because aside from people habits, and their vocal demands that they not be changed, if your goal is for the UI to convey as much information in a format that is the most naturally and easily absorbed, then you should go with the 200 ticks.

The brain can always process 5 ticks at a glance. Especially with the new black tick for 1000. Every black tick, you can start counting the 5 ticks out again. But in the 100 tick iteration, the brain doesn't easily discern between say, 7 or 9 ticks. Once you get past about 5 or 6 ticks, you just start to say, "Well a black tick is probably coming soon".

IMO for anyone who has really given it a chance, you can't deny that whether or not the level of change was offputting, whether or not it felt like fixing something that wasn't broken, I don't think it could be denied that during the 200 tick iteration, you could more easily determine exactly how much HP someone had at a glance.

EDIT: adding in this quote from later in the thread, he puts it better than I do.
SIGNED i love 200 ticks