Let's Talk About Black Shield

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

10-15-2010

First off, this isn't inherently a QQ thread. Black Shield is conceptually good design. Smart Morg's can use it intelligently to save lives. My problem with it is not that it stops the target from taking magic damage/CC, but that it breaks synergy. This, to me, is a prime example of what Riot likes to refer to as "Anti-Fun". What do I mean?

Akali

Poor Akali. She throws her Kama at Morg, but she puts up her Black Shield. The Kama is absorbed, its damage being applied to the shield. But wait, Morg doesn't have the Kama debuff applied to her, so the second half of the burst is completely negated. So not only did the shield stop the initial damage from hitting Morg, it stopped the next part from even happening.

Anivia

Poor Anivia. Good luck trying to break that shield when your main nuke can't do double damage like it's supposed to.

Kayle

Poor Kayle. No increased damage by marking someone with Reckoning.

Kennen

Poor Kennen. He throws a Shuriken at Morg, but it's shielded. Morg doesn't have a mark on her, so Kennen can't Surge to do more damage. That damage is gone.

Malzahar

Poor Malhazar. He can't sic his awesome Voidling by casting Malefic Vis--**** it okay this one's stupid.

Mordekaiser

Poor Mordekaiser. Were you planning on breaking through Morg's shield with the %-based damage dealt by your ult? Too bad, son. If you didn't cast it before she Black Shielded herself, the damage dealt is 0.

Poppy

Poor Poppy. See Mordekaiser.

Ryze

Poor Ryze. Your snare, your highest damaging spell, does 0 damage, assuming it's cast after the shield is applied. Birdies tell me this might be fixed in the upcoming patch.

Swain

Poor Swain. Your whole kit was based around doing 20% increased damage to a single target. Not only do you not get that, but laser bird does 0 damage. Well **** all.

Urgot

Oh Urgot. Poor, poor Urgot. Not only can you not mark someone so you can actually hit your Q, but--and this is the clincher--say you're an extra sneaky Urgot, and you decide to flash out of some brush and ult someone. Morgana can cast black shield after you've already successfully targeted someone to completely cancel the ult. Wow. Poor Urgot.

Vladimir

Poor Vladimir. See Poppy seeing Mordekaiser.

I'm sure there are others I missed. The problem with Morg's shield isn't that it stops magic damage or CC from being applied to the target, but that it stops certain moves from even working.

I'd love to spark some discussion on this, assuming we can keep it civil. This isn't about tiers or champion viability. This isn't about player stupidity, either. Many of these examples have travel time, during which good Morg's will shield the target. It's not unbeatable, and it is baitable, but it's not fun for the person who can no longer use all his moves.

Urobolus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2010

Let's talk about Black Shield.

It's not really black, now, is it?

TechpriestJadoko

10-15-2010

I had Morg break Urgot's ult with Black Shield while it's channeling.

Black Shield can completely ruin some champions, and it's not easy to break by any means. It's a very annoying move that has no counter to it. If someone has Black Shield, and you focus on spells and disables, only thing you can do is run until it wears off.

It's like Divine Shield, before Mass Dispel existed.

Intangible

10-15-2010

Stack MR and black shield is even more awesome. I use MR/level runes. Abyssal sceptre is absolute pwnage too.

P.S. Hit her with AD, she dies fast.

JumboCactaur

10-15-2010

You forgot Vlad's Hemoplague not happening at all as well. Neither the damage portion nor the extra damage debuff.

Knote

10-15-2010

Those were some really good examples.

Sammy Pajamy

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urobolus View Post
Let's talk about Black Shield.

It's not really black, now, is it?
I know of some unsavory chaps that would consider it extremely black.

Goldoth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2010

If you're malzahar and you're against Morgana. It's gg, you lose.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboCactaur View Post
You forgot Vlad's Hemoplague not happening at all as well. Neither the damage portion nor the extra damage debuff.
Added.

Hanni

10-15-2010

"Zomg, let's talk about Sivir's shield. It breaks absolutely any spell or damaging skill/ability and it restores mana"

NEEEEEEEERF.

ITT: People QQing about a skill that does what it's supposed to do.

Working as intended.

12345 ... 9