For anyone who thinks Riot is bad, you haven't seen anything.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kato75

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Since I have subleads I trust on the Live (Geeves) and Champion (ZEROSPACE), we generally talk about what we want to get done, and they execute. I stay out of their way mostly

I'm currently focusing on setting overall strategy for Content Design (why do we do what we do, how do we inform our decision-making), focusing on improving skin readability (this is a big focus) and working with the champion ideation/creative team to solidify some things there. In this case, being involved where we need design leadership and less is present.

This is all pretty new though, so I hope I have some results I can point to you guys soon.

Can you get them to talk with us too >
The more contact with you guys,the better


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaelinh

Senior Member

02-14-2013

Morello - I'm amazed how well you are able to respond to some of the ... less intelligent comments posted in this thread. I like that you approach it diplomatically yet "da faq?" at the same time.

I was wondering if having a forum with champion changes would be a good idea to help reduce the number of posts in GD about champions and what's being done with them. For example, you have a red only thread about each champion and designers/developers/qa can post about possible changes and there can be discussion threads below.

I know you don't like posting things before they happen because they might change and that gives a whole other slew of posts "Y U NO DO THIS?" but maybe involving the community in the design process - VERY - minimally might be fun for the community and make us feel involved. And then all the people wondering about their favorite champion can check and see if anything is planned for them. It could be as simple as, for example, Karma's thread: a red post states that she is being reworked and her abilities focus on cdr and damage prevention. This gives an idea to how far along she is and the discussion posts in a different thread could talk about how they feel about this.

It would probably be too much work to maintain but it's nice to think about.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Did that happen

Senior Member

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
He is full of it.
You say this but yet I have seen the tribunal ban for reasons dumber then this. Plus the real problem with the tribunal is the fact is if the majority of people think that guy is ban worthly they will just punish him and tribunal people that watch it most of the time just agree with the decision cause they honestly don't care and it probably takes to much work cause I know how lazy riot is. So imo its more of you guys being lazy then anything else.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1919c0afb0e5a67513f39

Member

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Does she need help mid? I've seen quite a few high-elo mid Zyra's lately. I'm not convinced she's weak here.
What I am trying to say is, that she falls off a little. (Really sorry if my english is bad, I am not from an english speaking country). A lot of mages right now rush Gian't belt as quickly as possible and her damage doesn't suffice to kill her target when it comes to it.

Look at Malzahar for example. He is also a mage with good ultility and really good ratios. If his target builds tanky he still doesn't have to worry 'cause at 400 AP his ulti deals enough damage too bring down his target (no matter the tankiness/HP stacking). Same goes for Syndra or Elise or even Anivia.

Zyra on the other hand, has an AMAZING ulti (my absolute favorite for AP mids) , though it's damage is a little bit on the weak side compared to others. It offers ultility, yes, but it's ratio is a little weak making it just a stun in most of the teamfights to help the team and an AS boost for her plants, without it dealing the damage it should do. Doesn't quite make the impact it should.

These are my thoughts based on my experience in the current meta. I am a Bronze IV player and by no means a pro and my experience with Zyra is that even when she is an AP player, she can't quite become the AP carry that other mages become. Therefore my recommendation of increasing the ratio from 0.7 to 0.8.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-14-2013
99 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did that happen View Post
You say this but yet I have seen the tribunal ban for reasons dumber then this. Plus the real problem with the tribunal is the fact is if the majority of people think that guy is ban worthly they will just punish him and tribunal people that watch it most of the time just agree with the decision cause they honestly don't care and it probably takes to much work cause I know how lazy riot is. So imo its more of you guys being lazy then anything else.
Do you have anything to show that this is true? Lyte has evidence of this being untrue.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

o O

Senior Member

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by o O View Post
Morello: Since you seem to be posting a lot in this thread, I wanna ask: Why did you guys nerf Riven so hard a couple patches ago? Pre-nerf, she was a solid pick, but there were other tops who were more powerful than her (they had better utility). Furthermore, she didn't really see much, if any, tournament play.

I also want to bring the following information to your attention: Riven's win percentage dropped almost 10% after her nerfs. She's been in the top 10 lowest win rate champions several days in a row in the past 2 weeks.

I know that you guys are planning on buffing her this patch, but I feel as those buffs (to her passive) are minuscule and won't matter that much. She'll still be outshined in the League of Warmogs meta.

Basically, why did the Live Balance Team nerf Riven and then subsequently nerf/increase the costs of the items she considers core (BLOODTHIRSTER, BLACK CLEAVER, GUARDIAN ANGEL AT START OF S3, etc)? As of right now, I consider her pretty unviable in top lane. She only wins if the opponent significantly makes mistakes.

I know that she had a strong snowball potential in the early game, but she needed this potential to be viable. Now that her early snowball has been almost removed, she needs MORE in the late game to keep her viable. However, she really wasn't compensated for her over-the-top early game nerfs. Her late game is still pretty bad (e.g. she has trouble sticking to targets, she is way too squishy, her primary gap closer is also her primary damaging ability, etc).
Morello, pls comment.

P.S. The new Riven buff was more a nerf than a buff. Her early damage/early game keeps going down.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trumanator

Senior Member

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by o O View Post
Morello, pls comment.

P.S. The new Riven buff was more a nerf than a buff. Her early damage/early game keeps going down.
It wasn't supposed to be a straight buff. Its meant to even her out so she doesn't completely destroy her opponent if she gets a little ahead, or get wrecked if she falls behind a little.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kholdstare13

Senior Member

02-14-2013

Morello, given some of the more...frivolous questions you have been answering, I am wondering why you have not addressed the several posts about the state of Dominion.

Dominion is in a very bad place right now. There was originally some effort put in with attention from Nome, to attempt to balance the mode through different items and auras, and this has helped with a few issues. Many core problems with champion balance around different values for mobility and other unconventional strengths and weaknesses still exist. The Dominion community would like to see that some effort is being made to work out the most grievous balance issues.

Draft, which could partially help by allowing teams to ban and counterpick around these strengths, is entirely dead. Nothing has been done in a long time to promote the mode for outside players, nor has anything been done to promote the use of draft instead of blind. Something as simple as a popup inviting players in the blind queue to switch over and fill in draft slots could do wonders for reviving that queue. We would just like to see Riot putting some love into the mode.

Will you be Dominion's valentine?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cether

Senior Member

02-14-2013

Morello I just read all 98 (99 but for some reason #5 doesn't work, found quotes of it anyways) posts. Man you really take a hammering from this community, I just wanna say thanks for that, and never get discouraged because as many people complain in nonconstructive and demoralizing ways many of us truly do respect you; we will complain anyways, but hopefully with a more talkative tone. On another note can I point out some QoL changes I'd like to see please?

1) Make an option so clicking the mini map doesn't make you run to where you clicked on the mini map. I have died so many times because of this and it's highly annoying. I mean, highly annoying. Make it so you can ghost click, as in click through the mini map please.

2) Some way of knowing your current personal bounty. At my level of play I see a lot of people get fed then go feed someone 800 gold + tons of assist money, pretty much cancelling their lead, and not understanding the cost of this. I feel that letting players see what their bounty is (perhaps a # in red and parenthesis by the timer) could ease the Die Hard mentality some players get sometimes. Also every now and then as a support main I do really really well, and I know my bounty goes up with assists, but there's no good way of tracking it.

3) Extend the brushes box a little more. I still find myself sometimes placing wards in brushes and it not being "in the brush". Bot lanes (and I'd imagine tops mirrored counter part) has a good example of this in the bottom brush.

and/or

Give a range of site for placing wards. Just an outlined redzone and if there's a bush that you can't see in make it tint red.

These are just some problems I've noticed and my proposed solutions to them. I don't know if you guys have thought about these problems or how hard my solutions would be to implement or what problems they might cause, but it is what it is. Obviously this is all fairly low priority stuff but I'd love to see it addressed at some point (as I'm sure many players would). Thanks, and once again you do an amazing job and the community feedback is much appreciated, even if I don't always agree with everything you say.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheetahSpeedLion

Senior Member

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I don't know about this SEA OF TROLLS thing. I think people are saying "I get trolled all the time!" because their Taric didn't live up to their personal expectations of how well he should have done.

There are trolls, but they're not the epidemic said here. I think people just expect that their teammates meet whatever expectations they have of them - something that is not realistic.

Lyte's really the guy to talk to about this, but I think people complain about how bad their teammates are too much.
Ok so maybe I belittled my point with QQ, I was a little emotional yesterday after a three game losing streak. I don't seriously think that I owe every loss to a bad/troll teammate. I also don't think I'm stuck at my current elo because a sea of trolls doesn't let me get out. The point I was trying to bring up:

There's nothing in the game to help a person move forward based on either 1) the amount of games (effort, hours of play, practice, persistence, etc.) he's put in or 2) his individual performance within a losing team. This results in a lot of people feeling stuck. Riot can choose not to do anything about this or they can put in something to help people see that the amount of time and effort they put into this game pays off in some way.

I don't think that giving people a little slack on their losses will result in a less competitive scene either. It will just help them accumulate points over time with their persistence and hours of play. Call it a little treat for people to avoid falling into despair when they see they've played 500 hours and are still in the same place in the ladders. Slack on losses won't get people to higher tiers than their skill level either because if you truly can't win games where you are, no amount of slack on your losses will make you go up (you'll just keep losing and stay where you are).