What do you think? Yes or No

Yes 360 62.83%
No 78 13.61%
Maybe with some changes 135 23.56%
Voters: 573. You may not vote on this poll

Loss-Prevention of League Points in ranked games from leavers/afkers/trolls.

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FactorUnknown

02-14-2013

I moved this comment to its own thread.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post34644737

If you want to see it click it, if not don't.

Sarkhon

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
I'm sure we will look at how this impacts things, and it is really rough when this happens.

However, AFK/Leaving have double penalty rates in ranked games. Trolling is also reported twice as frequently because people care more in ranked. So, people who do this stuff ARE getting bans pretty frequently. I know that this does not help you in a specific game, but it is helping in general.

RE the specific suggestion, we are hesitant to do something like "IF you have a leaver, you lose no LP or less LP on loss" because it likely will create things like ," YOU leave, you totally fed, why am I losing LP!", "YEAH UNINSTALL!!!!" Or with a voting system, people would typically do that to 'afk' someone and not lose LP.

You know, make the ragey team breakdown that sometimes occurs more frequent and full of vitriol.

I do want to try to mitigate this problem better, and it's the focus on the player behavior team. Fundamentally, if we reduce the toxicity level in ranked, we will also pull down some of the feeding and afking that does occur from time to time.
Required connectivity test before your client lets you play ranked. AKA, if you have Dial Up and unstable, or you have X amount of points in the Leaver Buster but aren't yet at a bannable stage, you cannot play ranked. Serious. I'm so tired of the excuse after 2 minutes and two deaths, "FK I'm lagging so hard, internet sucking." Or someone AFK'ing and then coming back as they are pushing the nexus, "OMG Internet went out!". Really trolls, really? Still reporting you, and I'm still losing IP. You either left, or your internet sucks. Either way, get out of my ranked games.

CooLTanG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

02-14-2013

Quote:
I'm sure we will look at how this impacts things, and it is really rough when this happens.

However, AFK/Leaving have double penalty rates in ranked games. Trolling is also reported twice as frequently because people care more in ranked. So, people who do this stuff ARE getting bans pretty frequently. I know that this does not help you in a specific game, but it is helping in general.

RE the specific suggestion, we are hesitant to do something like "IF you have a leaver, you lose no LP or less LP on loss" because it likely will create things like ," YOU leave, you totally fed, why am I losing LP!", "YEAH UNINSTALL!!!!" Or with a voting system, people would typically do that to 'afk' someone and not lose LP.

You know, make the ragey team breakdown that sometimes occurs more frequent and full of vitriol.

I do want to try to mitigate this problem better, and it's the focus on the player behavior team. Fundamentally, if we reduce the toxicity level in ranked, we will also pull down some of the feeding and afking that does occur from time to time.

You could put a limit on it, say the leaver left for over 50% of the game, or something similar, idk the % but 50% of a 30-40min game, sounds decent, could go less.

Xenolithium

02-14-2013

Quote:

I feel like it doesn't matter what you do, your community will find an exploit. Your community is toxic to players.

I literally played a game where a Lux Mid couldn't land a snare to save her life...and it was somehow MY fault. I came to gank, they flash to get away, I back off, and get called a noob. She then proceeded to follow me every where and take my camps, like Wolf, Wraith, and Golem. Wouldn't let me jungle, wouldn't let me farm, and it got so pathetic, she tried to snipe camps from me with her R...as I was invading the enemy jungle to take buffs.

I muted her, and she kept going and going, because in /all chat, the enemy team was responding to comments she was making about me, even my own team. I hate playing your games sometimes. I mean, I talk trash too, but it's almost always in retort to someone starting it and attacking me flat out for no reason.

Disrokous

02-14-2013

I realize that this is not completely what is being talked about in this thread but I thought I would throw my two cents in here and see if this idea could potentially relieve some issues with ranked.

I see a ton of people mainly complain about the trolls during their best of 3 or best of 5 series and I was wondering if we would be able to implement a 1 time dodge during those series, that way if you see someone is really trolling you during the champ select you can at least dodge that game and try again. The reason it is only a 1 time dodge is because if it is any more then I feel like people could abuse it to get the best team possible for their win and I think allowing 1 dodge within a 3/5 game set is acceptable. Of course if you dodge a second time then the current penalty gets put in place of losing the series and a bit of LP and the time ban. I still feel as though the 1 time dodge during a series would great relieve stress from some of the players that are really trying to rank up and are having a difficult time during the series matches due to trolls. Again this is just a though to help somewhat mitigate the trolls, and this idea is only for people that are in a series, I have not thought up a good idea for people that are not in a series but I hope this idea gains traction because I feel as though it would be a great benefit to anyone doing rank by taking a bit of the stress away.

-Disrokous

BobbyOvsky

02-14-2013

I would love to see a system where the leaver bear the whole responsability of the loss of the game.

You leave / dont connect in ranked game -> you suck up the LP loss of your whole team. So it gives -100LP for you, and loss forgiven to other member of your team.

People who say " what if my internet connection sucks ?" i'll reply to play in normal game.

Unclesatan

02-14-2013

Quote:

Fundamentally yes, but the problem arises more often when you're solo queue than any other time.

My suggestion would be to use all of those stats you guys calculate by the end of the game to determine who actually was trolling/afk/etc. and grant points based on what they actually did for their role in the specific game.

Consider this;
You're Sona, you heal a very great amount, your damage is quite high, you have 2 leavers on your team. You did your UTMOST best to pull through to the end, even though you know 3/4 of unbalanced games go to the team with the most champions, you died 2 times got 2 kills and 12 assists.

You lose say 18 points for the loss. I can understand if your stats were utterly terrible, and yes you can simply just stay in the base or be INCREDIBLY careful to get your stats (like minion damage, champ damage, healing done, damage taken, deaths, etc.) so you don't lose points, but wouldn't that just encourage the gameplay that is already there? Did player 2 buy 6 dorans rings in the game? Take LP penalties off of mine for my exceptional gameplay, even though I lost. Did player 4 and 5 disconnect for longer than 10 minutes? They should soak up 4-6 points of my LP penalty for the loss.

This leads back to one of my previous posts; why do I only get dealt 1 card when the trolls get the whole deck? All I can do is report these people, but I don't actually get any closure. On any of the innumerable trolls/afkers/etc. Too many to count. These people don't care about reports anyways. I just get to go on knowing they're gonna do that to the next 9 people they meet, while redoing my promotional for the 3rd time hoping I won't get afkers or trolls for JUST 2 games, let alone the 3 games I MUST win to promote in tier.

Hope you see this, I posted about this earlier and didn't get much for responses so hopefully you see this one.

Sheogorath

02-14-2013

They are implementing the vote team equalizer, so that should help!

Grey Wolf

02-14-2013

Quote:
Tangentially related to leavers is what to do when your servers have issues that negatively impact games. A couple of days ago I was in the first game of a best-of-three series. We were winning early game, then people on our team started lagging, being disconnected, etc. We were fighting 4 on 5, or some times 3 on 5. Needless to say we lost the game, and I subsequently lost the series.

I get that servers can have issues, but the impact on your LP or worse yet, a series, is hard on us.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-14-2013
2 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStrelok View Post
@Zileas - Has there ever been any discussion about adding in a DotA style leave system? There are certainly pros and cons, but I can't help thinking that forcing people to stay in a game for at least 20 minutes when one or multiple people have disconnected or are AFKing isn't exactly helping peoples stress levels any.

This way the team that is against the leavers get a win, as they probably would have regardless, and the remaining people on the leavers team get a get out of jail free card, if you will. The person who leaves is obviously marked and the LeaverBuster system can pick them up if it's a continuous process for them to leave games in progress.
I don't usually talk about other MOBA games, but the short answer is, if we thought it would make the game better, we would do it because it's really easy to do.

The short answer is -- we know that a leave abandonment system creates a culture of leaving being 'more ok' and a culture in which you harass people to leave so that you can leave. We also know for a fact that leaverbuster is extremely effective. Our opinion is that surrender, and LoLs snowballeyness calibration take a lot of the pressure off of people having an urge to leave games they feel are going poorly.

Leave rates are down between 50 and 65% since starting depending on which territory and game mode you are talking about.

1234567 ... 12