Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

02-13-2013

Kat's pole was removed because it didn't make sense in her theme.
There was outrage either way. Coincidence?

StationaryObject

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xulsigae View Post
Kat's pole was removed because it didn't make sense in her theme.
There was outrage either way. Coincidence?
Lets break out our conspiracy books.
Anyone bring the marshmallows?

Xulsigae

02-13-2013

I'll bring the crackers and chocolate.

Jujubee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastBox View Post
I don't think removing Katarina's pole was a hard coincidence to swallow; they just came to the same conclusion internally that GD came to. If it's a logical call then that's just to be expected.

The new recall still sucks though.
Exactly. The recall animation already went as far as PBE, and they incidentally remove it and replace it with whatever the **** that new one was, the same time all that hoopla about oversexualization started.

Xulsigae

02-13-2013

Hoopla has been going on for ages. It becomes especially apparent when something like a pole is included (or removed) from a champion. Or a new champ comes out who is female and (shockingly) doesn't show herself off.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-13-2013
11 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubee View Post
So what you're saying is that it is all a coincidence? Quinn was not turned into a woman and released to appease to players who want a "strong" female (again) or is this more of a two-birds (no pun intended) with one stone thing? Forgive my aggressiveness but not everyone is supposed to like this PG bandwagon. I'm just worried that all your future women champs will be bland and "strong" and covered up.
Imagine that. A room full of guys make a decision as a group for well formulated reasons based on iterating multiple times to create a solution that fulfills the goal we are trying to establish.

That goal being, make a character not a set of appeasements.

Make what's right for the character.

We make a character for every individual. Not individual characters that appeal to everyone.

BeastBox

02-13-2013

Quote:
Exactly. The recall animation already went as far as PBE, and they incidentally remove it and replace it with whatever the **** that new one was, the same time all that hoopla about oversexualization started.
I don't know about that. Complaints about oversexualization on this forum have been going on forever and have been especially common ever since Zyra hit. That they changed one recall animation on one champ doesn't seem like much to read into.

Stampede EU

02-13-2013

Quote:
But the thing is, Riot's coincidences are always on point! people complaining about oversexualization? turn a guy champ into Quinn. They are so vocal about this so-called "fairness" yet it all feels superficial and fake. All these concerns about sexiness and female silhouettes is so ridiculous. I don't want all future champs to be Leona lookalikes.
Oh noes, one female champion after a half a year worth of Zyras, Syndras, Elises and Namis is suddenly full armored, Riot suddenly went catholic church on us! It's over! They even made Vi too, **** hit the fan mang!

HeyLPG

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
The Champion ideation team had an idea up on the wall which was just titled "Falconer". I decided to have a go at it because.. ya know.. birds.. and did some thumbnails of a rugged, Aragorn looking guy (who incidentally was melee at the time, not ranged). More of traditional fantasy vibe, more leather and cloth, though I actually did have a perch-gauntlet and a falcon pauldron on the concept. We weren't really feeling it. I then switched it around and played with the idea of Falconer as a girl. Everyone latched onto that immediately. It was a traditional male role that felt right to put a contrasting theme into. The idea of avian symbiosis also felt better when Falconer was switched to a woman. It felt more communal rather than commanding, like a bond between the two rather than a hunter/pet relationship.

The male angle was tried and fell flat when we perused it. The female angle felt better and allowed for more character development in everything from the peasant-to-elite arc, to her having a brother who left a spiritual gap, to playing off the gender of the bird. The team felt the female treatment felt better, and that's what we executed on.
Any comment on this similarity?

Jujubee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastBox View Post
I don't know about that. Complaints about oversexualization on this forum have been going on forever and have been especially common ever since Zyra hit. That they changed one recall animation on one champ doesn't seem like much to read into.
The problem is that Riot announced it inside the thread of ONE person who complained about it. Making it seem like they agreed with that person all of a sudden, even after that particular skin was already in it's final stages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Imagine that. A room full of guys make a decision as a group for well formulated reasons based on iterating multiple times to create a solution that fulfills the goal we are trying to establish.

That goal being, make a character not a set of appeasements.

Make what's right for the character.

We make a character for every individual. Not individual characters that appeal to everyone.
Please don't get me wrong, cause I don't want to come off as a hater. This game is amazing. Your interaction with your community is AMAZING. You listen to your players and I am really happy about that. I just really, REALLY dislike this (armored women = strong, independent) argument that you seem to be perpetrating.