Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jujubee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurynia View Post
Just wanna take a moment to say,

I am female,
Alert the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapingLion View Post
I don't think of Quinn as 'armored' because she's not. Not really. There are pieces to her outfit that are composed of a metal substance. The boots, possibly the knee guards, the outer thigh armor, the armor around the hips and waist, the shoulders and the wrist guard/perch.
This is hardly 'armored' in my opinion. It's more, practical pieces of armor strategically placed on a female so she is protected if she engages in close range combat.
I am all for diversity, I applaud it! but diversity for diversity's sake is lame. This mindset of "A woman should be armored to be respectable and strong" is irritating to me. If you haven't noticed, my tone is very pointed because I am really sick of this clothes = strong, sexy = ho way of thinking.

StationaryObject

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubee View Post
Alert the media.
Don't be a smart ass.
She is expressing her opinions which differ from the general male population of this game.
Because otherwise, she'd get 300 messages saying she's gay.
Quote:
I am all for diversity, I applaud it! but diversity for diversity's sake is lame. This mindset of "A woman should be armored to be respectable and strong" is irritating to me. If you haven't noticed, my tone is very pointed because I am really sick of this clothes = strong, sexy = ho way of thinking.
I can agree that that mindset is going in the wrong direction of what should be happening, which is "Women are strong, no matter their looks."
I try not to say thing like "Sexy clothes are bad" or such things, because thats not really what I personally want from the game. It's more, "I want diversity, because just sexy isn't playing to my interests."
Diversity is needed in the game, because the more characters that cater to specific audiences, such as those who only want women in scantily clad outfits, the more likely they are to alienate the other audiences who want other things from the game. Diversity is a necessary element of games.

Stampede EU

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubee View Post
Sejuani is actually a fun champ. People hate on her so much because her clothing isn't practical? What about Tryndamere then? he lives in the same place, and he's shirtless! Why is no one complaining how unpractical his attire is? BECAUSE HE'S A GUY!
Fun champ? For whom exactly? You? She's a gameplay wreckage with a half-assed kit spiced up with some completely absurd and asinine visual design, a tough ass polar barbarian that roams around in freezing temperatures with a string of fur. And Tryndamere is a ridiculous clown too.

Fahrenheitt

02-13-2013

As a girl gamer, I'm excited for Quinn. I usually shy away from female champs because they are too "sexy". It's like the "Sona's boobs" threads on GD to me. Annoying. I'm really stoked for a female champ that's not sexed up. IronStylus, keep it up!

BeastBox

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede EU View Post
Too bad the sales and number of times played data would disagree with you. So better sit in your minority corner.
What do any of those have to do with her visuals, exactly? Never mind the fact I never see anyone play her anymore ...

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-13-2013
10 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanikkers View Post
No harshness taken, sorry if there was any of it in my reply.

I guess my only answer would be that, and this is making an assumption, Quinn's gender was changed at the concept? It wasn't as if they modeled the champ, designed the look and everything, and then said, "Wait, we need an empowered female, let's just switch his gender." I assumed that they came up with the ranger-with-bird concept as a male and the devs decided to make it a female instead.

This would need confirmation, though. Lots of assumptions.
The Champion ideation team had an idea up on the wall which was just titled "Falconer". I decided to have a go at it because.. ya know.. birds.. and did some thumbnails of a rugged, Aragorn looking guy (who incidentally was melee at the time, not ranged). More of traditional fantasy vibe, more leather and cloth, though I actually did have a perch-gauntlet and a falcon pauldron on the concept. We weren't really feeling it. I then switched it around and played with the idea of Falconer as a girl. Everyone latched onto that immediately. It was a traditional male role that felt right to put a contrasting theme into. The idea of avian symbiosis also felt better when Falconer was switched to a woman. It felt more communal rather than commanding, like a bond between the two rather than a hunter/pet relationship.

The male angle was tried and fell flat when we perused it. The female angle felt better and allowed for more character development in everything from the peasant-to-elite arc, to her having a brother who left a spiritual gap, to playing off the gender of the bird. The team felt the female treatment felt better, and that's what we executed on.

Jujubee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzjuggernaut View Post
As a girl gamer, I'm excited for Quinn. I usually shy away from female champs because they are too "sexy". It's like the "Sona's boobs" threads on GD to me. Annoying. I'm really stoked for a female champ that's not sexed up. IronStylus, keep it up!
Then play Diana, Riven, Leona, Lux, Lulu, Tristana, Annie, Poppy or Shyvana. You have a lot of "not sexy" choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
The male angle was tried and fell flat when we perused it. The female angle felt better and allowed for more character development in everything from the peasant-to-elite arc, to her having a brother who left a spiritual gap, to playing off the gender of the bird. The team felt the female treatment felt better, and that's what we executed on.
So what you're saying is that it is all a coincidence? Quinn was not turned into a woman and released to appease to players who want a "strong" female (again) or is this more of a two-birds (no pun intended) with one stone thing? Forgive my aggressiveness but not everyone is supposed to like this PG bandwagon. I'm just worried that all your future women champs will be bland and "strong" and covered up.

VGHS Zane

02-13-2013

Not once was I ever confused on her gender. The second I saw the screen shot my mouth instantly watered and I thought "I need dat IP for this girl." and let me just day...I'm the WORST AD CARRY that has ever played 1000+ games. The design is amazing and sleek, I love the cape, the hood, her falcon glove, and her helm. It all meshes well in my opinion and I flat out love the design in every way. I'll buy her day one for sure, and I'll probably learn and play her no matter what her role is or how difficult she is. Even if she releases and is sub-par and barely useable, I'll want to main her.

theplague1369

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
The Champion ideation team had an idea up on the wall which was just titled "Falconer". I decided to have a go at it because.. ya know.. birds.. and did some thumbnails of a rugged, Aragorn looking guy (who incidentally was melee at the time, not ranged). More of traditional fantasy vibe, more leather and cloth, though I actually did have a perch-gauntlet and a falcon pauldron on the concept. We weren't really feeling it. I then switched it around and played with the idea of Falconer as a girl. Everyone latched onto that immediately. It was a traditional male role that felt right to put a contrasting theme into. The idea of avian symbiosis also felt better when Falconer was switched to a woman. It felt more communal rather than commanding, like a bond between the two rather than a hunter/pet relationship.

this is good reasoning, I like it.

Stampede EU

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastBox View Post
What do any of those have to do with her visuals, exactly? Never mind the fact I never see anyone play her anymore ...
Might have something to do with her visuals being an awesome represantation of a batman/van helsing wannabe in LoL and people massively favoring it, and you cramming around that she's bland and boring. Are you by any chance wearing a scarf and glasses? Cause that would explain certain things.