Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SplendidSorrow

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly5 View Post
So I mean...a Leona that says "I will protect you...Sunlight yadayada"
Is really not to far from a Leona that says "For Justice...Protect the innocent...yadayada"

They aren't the same...I guess. But they are really not very "defined" against each other.

Leona's character IS her armor. That IS what makes her.
Therefore...you can't just say "yeah Quinn's armor looks similar to Leona...psh big deal."
Because...Quinn will be diluting the character-uniqueness of Leona. I guess it's not a "BIG DEAL" but its impactful, its "bad."
I won't seriously believe that a professional artist can't draw armor differently for different characters. Because as it stands there is more than just one similarity between Quinn's concept art, and that of Iron Solari Leona. This has nothing to do with "style," it has everything to do with design choices.
I'm going to say we're going to have to agree to disagree here. The reason being is that I don't see Leona's character being her armor, at all. Its a trapping of her troupe (Paladin) sure, but its not what makes her a paladin.

More to the point, artists always incorperate their own styles into everything. They draw things certain ways. Look at Diana, Syndra, Zyra....All different, yet all look the same, all coming from the same artist. Artists, like everything else, tend to have a style or method they put to things. Iron Stylus is going to draw armor fairly similarly, same kind of lines, etc nine times out of ten. Thats the way it is.

Quote:
I do not know how they go about things.
And I can use this to add one more arguement:
The majority of the consumer base of League of Legends...does not concern themselves with lore, or champion backstory. All that they take is what is immediately in front of them in the character design. One should not have to sift through the lore (which imo is painful to read) to try to make characters distinct. Every champion should reek of its character. Quinn happens to smell like Leona to me.
Again I don't quite see how you're getting there, other than woman in armor. And even then stylistically? Sword and Board vs Falcon and crossbow? It to me equates to two entirely different styles of characters.

Quote:
I mean...she smells a lot like Leona, but also some of Swain, and Vayne, even some Ashe as it is. I just feel like such a character is too "inbetween" too many other characters. There are more unique tropes to be filled.
When are we going to get a definite Ogre character? Closest thing we have is Rageborn Mundo, but that's a skin!
I'm not sure how you get Swain, or Vayne, or Ashe from the way she looks. Swain i guess is the bird...which uhh is a tenuous link at best...Vayne...the crossbow I guess... But does that mean that Riven smells like Garen because they both use swords? Or that wukong and garen smell alike because they both have spin moves? And then ashe because they are both rangers?

There are plenty of troupes to be filled yet certainly, but I don't think that means that a single character fully fleshes out a troupe either.

Chilly5

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prkl8r View Post
So your saying that she would have been better if they had dropped the lore of being a ranger, and instead just made her an army markswoman or something along those lines? I could see that if that is what your talking about, but actual design wise, I see nothing to Christianize.
I don't know what "Christianize" means...

But uh...I'm not saying much about what they should do to change her trope. I just want to say that she steps on the toes of other tropes, and that this is bad.

If I really had it my way I would not think that this Demacian armor girl ranger with bird and crossbow be created at all, simply because many of the themes here are covered by other champions (as it appears to me).

Teraxe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post

So, when are we going to get a female with a different body type? Before summer, within the year, maybe next year? I know that sounds rude, but I'm not trying to chide. I think it's really cool that you've released armored women, tasteful clothes, and stuff like that. I'm just also looking at things like body proportions and skin color. It makes sense that this ranger girl would be a pale-ish svelte chica, but do you have anyone in the pipeline that's a bit stockier?

I thought they had the perfect chance with Vi to make a bit bulkier woman.

theplague1369

02-13-2013

I like the way it looks. It has it's own unique style compared to a lot of the other female champions, I think it sets itself apart well enough to stand out. That is something I want in a character, to not have everyone be exactly like everyone else. All of them feel different and have their own unique play style and looks, and that is good enough for me, the day I see simple palette swaps and skill changes for new champions is the day I might finally get bored of this game.

abzilla

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insectomancer View Post
I thought she would be a bit more unique. Just looks a bit like Swain and Vayne, with some Amethyst Ashe thrown in. Im sure i'll grow to like it and get used to it but it isnt terribly impressive as of yet.

EDIT:

I'm not sure what's up with all of the displaced rage here, to be clear THIS IS NOT A HATE THREAD. And yeah, she does actually look a bit like those champs. Her armor has the same feather accents that resemble swain and Justicar Syndra, you can't deny that. They're by no means the same champions, but certain design choices have obviously carried over.

EDIT: Maybe some explanation for the downvotes? I don't think im being unreasonable..

EDIT: Holy ****, i leave to get some McDonalds (which is gross btw) and i come back and IronStylus wrote a novel in my thread ;u;

and after reading some of his thoughts, i realize more and more that the design is a really good one, i just think that maybe it should have been a release skin. I'm looking forward to seeing her run cycle and silhouette.

EDIT: Okay...60 downvotes for me thinking a design was "meh" at worst, and then the whole thread is people complaining about the design, and they get upvotes? I'll never understand GD.
glad u have ur own opinion. I agree with u, this release will be less special/spectacular than others.

For me, it feels like this will be another not so fiery human with a normal looking predator bird. Compared to the uniqueness of Thresh, Vi, Nami, Zed, this will definitely be a snoozer for me

Aloz

02-13-2013

I think she looks amazing, maybe a little familiar, but amazing and can't wait to play her.

PhilHit

02-13-2013

Well...I doubt anyone will see this, but here's hoping.

IronStylus, it's a cool design, and I definitely see what you're saying - though I also see what others are saying about her "trope" and "in-betweenness." By no means should you go back and do the character from scratch, nor would you, but you mentioned something that grabbed me:

Quote:
Her hood is collapsed, she has essentially a themed parka with a bird motif, Functional but themed.
My hopes, above all else for this champion, is that at least at some points, she will have her hood drawn. A collapsed hood does nothing for a character, design-wise - if it's never up, and is obscured by her armor at all other times, then the only purpose it serves is as a placeholder in the creator's mind. Half-helms are quite common on champions these days, and such an ornate helm doesn't seem to suit a "ranger" archetype. Most of her design screams "function over form," so why does her helm break this rule? With downplayed "wings" on the helm and the ability to actually draw her hood over it, I think she could lend herself far more readily to the Demacian ranger you're trying to portray: hoods lend themselves to the stalking aspect of a ranger, and while defense is important, somehow I'd imagine Quinn would want to be able to pull her hood over her helm to quietly sneak through a brush, without having to sacrifice that head protection because the helm wings don't fit inside her hood.

Chilly5

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidSorrow View Post
I'm going to say we're going to have to agree to disagree here. The reason being is that I don't see Leona's character being her armor, at all. Its a trapping of her troupe (Paladin) sure, but its not what makes her a paladin.

More to the point, artists always incorperate their own styles into everything. They draw things certain ways. Look at Diana, Syndra, Zyra....All different, yet all look the same, all coming from the same artist. Artists, like everything else, tend to have a style or method they put to things. Iron Stylus is going to draw armor fairly similarly, same kind of lines, etc nine times out of ten. Thats the way it is.

Again I don't quite see how you're getting there, other than woman in armor. And even then stylistically? Sword and Board vs Falcon and crossbow? It to me equates to two entirely different styles of characters.

I'm not sure how you get Swain, or Vayne, or Ashe from the way she looks. Swain i guess is the bird...which uhh is a tenuous link at best...Vayne...the crossbow I guess... But does that mean that Riven smells like Garen because they both use swords? Or that wukong and garen smell alike because they both have spin moves? And then ashe because they are both rangers?

There are plenty of troupes to be filled yet certainly, but I don't think that means that a single character fully fleshes out a troupe either.
From what I can remember...both Iron Solari Leona...and Quinn...have the same "leaf-shaped" armor things. It's just too much of a resemblance imo. They can look like the same style...but I mean it just looks like the same champion from a distance if you ask me. (just looked them both up...i cannot discern their face/helmets from each other)

Riven and Garen both have swords...yes. No problem with that.
But what if Garen had a BROKEN sword? And that would be his "thing."
I would have a problem with that. See what I mean?
Leona is the armor lady. If Quinn also has all this focus on being an armored lady...then...it makes Leona less special.

ashxu

02-13-2013

But didn't someone at Riot say that they emphasized various "features" of female champions to make them easier to identify as a female in-game? I recall something among those lines.

xSeCKSx

02-13-2013

I figured this thread was about her kit not her look