Demacia Needs Heroes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emperor Z19

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orikan View Post
Ironstylus. Is it just me, or does her armor look a bit reminiscent of Talon's cape? Was this on purpose?
Common design elements. They both have bird themes.

Thaenor

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You're doing just the right amount of analysis.

Demacia needs form language and motifs that aren't just generic medieval. Champions aren't the only things that will evolve. The city-states are going to take on more distinct looks as well that deviate from traditional fantasy.

Strap in.
Awwwww yeah

InXplotch

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orikan View Post
Ironstylus. Is it just me, or does her armor look a bit reminiscent of Talon's cape? Was this on purpose?
They both have a bird motif. I mean, the dude's name is Talon

AkaOuji

02-13-2013

BLOOD FOR NOXUS!!

but srsly though she sounds cool, if she is not a support but rather a top or mid laner with scoutting ability i will instabuy

Emperor Z19

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaOuji View Post
BLOOD FOR NOXUS!!

but srsly though she sounds cool, if she is not a support but rather a top or mid laner with scoutting ability i will instabuy
She's an AD Carry

Riair

02-13-2013

So would I be right assuming that the Art Deco theme reflects Demacian society as a 'clear-cut and pragmatic society'?

Art Deco has that vibe to me. It looks like a no nonsense kinda design and...I but it also has a noble air about it. It's rather strange in that regard, but fitting for Demacian, no?

JimmyVegas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
You're doing just the right amount of analysis.

Demacia needs form language and motifs that aren't just generic medieval. Champions aren't the only things that will evolve. The city-states are going to take on more distinct looks as well that deviate from traditional fantasy.

Strap in.
This may be too much on the lore side but is Val's species of bird some sort of Demacian symbol? I noticed Xin and Garen have that white wing symbol and the Demacian colors are blue and gold as is Val's color.

Obviously the symbol was designed first, I just mean did you decide to make a sort of retroactive(?) lore choice where the people of Demacia saw this type of bird and adopted it as their symbol/colors.

Torvin Augeri

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidSorrow View Post
I have a hard time believing you read the journal entries and Iron stylus's post.
I rushed a bit through his post, as I was at work. Apparent in that I compared the design to Lenneth even after IronStylus pointed out the Valkyrie influence. Otherwise, yes, I did read them.

Quote:
First off, she's in the elite guard so to speak. Elite units, in fantasy realms at least, tend to have armor that is both functional and decorative. This is not a disconnect this is how it is.
Form follows function. That's why Vi's gauntlets get a pass for being as large as they are: you're supposed to whallop people with them, so more mass, please, realism be damned, because getting hit by something big and heavy hurts. Vi's design follows and flows from the function, "hit it hard".

Quinn's not as coherent thematically as Vi is, mostly because she's got a lot more going on. Ranger, falconer, elite. The concept as presented is something I would have expected out of a supplemental skin, to show off how she looks like when she's with the upper class, rather than her base skin, where I would have expected something more subdued for when she's out working on a job.

Character-wise, would someone like Quinn let ostentatious dress get in the way of doing their job properly, to the best of their ability?

Quote:
Secondly, the 'lack of pockets' Its really hard to tell what kind of pockets she has from such a small picture. Are there pockets on her hips there? Behind her? Who knows we can't see.
I brought up pockets because Stylus did. My concern was more with regards to the supposed utility he was claiming her uniform had going for it, which I questioned largely because it wasn't apparent in the concept. Since then, there's been some clarification and we've learned that she has a holster that you can't see from the front. There's bound to be more, but my issue was a discrepancy between what Stylus was saying and what I could see.

Quote:
As a third point rangers are not always ranged combatants. The look of a melee skirmisher is not an inacurate one. Remember Aragorn was a Ranger (you know from the series of books which spawned D&D and such where the ranger was born as an idea) and he was a melee skirmisher.
Whereas Quinn is not, so far as we can tell thus far without her kit. Does she have a sword, or an axe, or any sort of melee-range weapon? No? Does her kit feature melee-range abilities? Doesn't make sense to look like you're gonna duke it out at point-blank unless, you know, you're actually going to duke it out at point-blank.

As a sidenote, Tolkien did not conceive the ranger concept. There are mentions of rangers since the 1500s. Tolkien only took the ranger and portrayed it in such a way that it went on to become a fantasy archetype with very specific features. And then D&D came along and blamo.

Quote:
Continuing on, archers didn't wear heavy armor. Armor restricts movement, which restricts archery. Crossbowmen could wear more armor because their weapon allowed it, archers on the other hand have a much harder time wearing it.
Perhaps "heavy armor" wasn't the proper phrase. Crossbowmen are definitely closer to the point I was trying to get across with the comparison, however.

Quote:
In the end think of the shiney silver armor as a 'parade uniform' (not that it ever matters in a fantasy realm). More to the point, this will be the uniform she wears on the fields of justice where she's representing her country...not just stomping around in the woods. Also you'll notice no dirt on anything, do you really think thats the way she would look after a while in the wilderness?
No, hence my speaking up. Does she spend all of her days walking the squeaky-clean streets of Demacia these days?

Quote:
Come on...use your brain.
I did.

Quote:
Beyond all that consider this is a artist rendition of her in which he captures the ideal, the essence of the character, the fact that she's not just a grunt any more, she's a member of the elite guard...
In case you didn't notice, quite a lot of people were getting excited over her because she was billed in the pages as a "commoner", a "ranger", etc. More down-to-earth than usual for Demacians, who have more than their fair share of flashy champions and few, if any, subdued ones.

Quote:
Seriously...and you complain that she doesn't looked like a ranger (false), doesn't have enough pockets (who the hell can tell?), has too much armor (uh really?), and doesn't look like she can sneak up on anyone (kidding me right?)...but you completely skip over the fact she has a bird that looks like its at least half her weight...on an outstretched armored arm, and having no problems with it....
She's not typical of your traditional fantasy ranger, which is what most of us were expecting given the pages. Her concept picture doesn't feature the utility that IronStylus mentioned that she has. No, I'm not kidding you, there are reasons assassins don't go about in armor or ceremonial gear. Quinn supporting Val is great because, again, form follows function: she's a falconer with a big ass bird, and the gauntlet doesn't run counter-intuitive to the falconer theme.

Lady Rhae

02-13-2013

Quote:
Hand to the ground. Eyes to the sky.

Demacia needs heroes.
Oh my goodness.... she's perfect! Thank you!!

phattank

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvin Augeri View Post
I rushed a bit through his post, as I was at work. Apparent in that I compared the design to Lenneth even after IronStylus pointed out the Valkyrie influence. Otherwise, yes, I did read them.

Form follows function. That's why Vi's gauntlets get a pass for being as large as they are: you're supposed to whallop people with them, so more mass, please, realism be damned, because getting hit by something big and heavy hurts. Vi's design follows and flows from the function, "hit it hard".

Quinn's not as coherent thematically as Vi is, mostly because she's got a lot more going on. Ranger, falconer, elite. The concept as presented is something I would have expected out of a supplemental skin, to show off how she looks like when she's with the upper class, rather than her base skin, where I would have expected something more subdued for when she's out working on a job.

Character-wise, would someone like Quinn let ostentatious dress get in the way of doing their job properly, to the best of their ability?

I brought up pockets because Stylus did. My concern was more with regards to the supposed utility he was claiming her uniform had going for it, which I questioned largely because it wasn't apparent in the concept. Since then, there's been some clarification and we've learned that she has a holster that you can't see from the front. There's bound to be more, but my issue was a discrepancy between what Stylus was saying and what I could see.

Whereas Quinn is not, so far as we can tell thus far without her kit. Does she have a sword, or an axe, or any sort of melee-range weapon? No? Does her kit feature melee-range abilities? Doesn't make sense to look like you're gonna duke it out at point-blank unless, you know, you're actually going to duke it out at point-blank.

As a sidenote, Tolkien did not conceive the ranger concept. There are mentions of rangers since the 1500s. Tolkien only took the ranger and portrayed it in such a way that it went on to become a fantasy archetype with very specific features. And then D&D came along and blamo.

Perhaps "heavy armor" wasn't the proper phrase. Crossbowmen are definitely closer to the point I was trying to get across with the comparison, however.

No, hence my speaking up. Does she spend all of her days walking the squeaky-clean streets of Demacia these days?

I did.

In case you didn't notice, quite a lot of people were getting excited over her because she was billed in the pages as a "commoner", a "ranger", etc. More down-to-earth than usual for Demacians, who have more than their fair share of flashy champions and few, if any, subdued ones.

She's not typical of your traditional fantasy ranger, which is what most of us were expecting given the pages. Her concept picture doesn't feature the utility that IronStylus mentioned that she has. No, I'm not kidding you, there are reasons assassins don't go about in armor or ceremonial gear. Quinn supporting Val is great because, again, form follows function: she's a falconer with a big ass bird, and the gauntlet doesn't run counter-intuitive to the falconer theme.
Blame it on the Animus.