@WhattayaBrian/Engineers - The Client

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Schtiffles

02-13-2013

I posted this in "For anyone who thinks Riot is bad, you haven't seen anything." But I feel it deserves its own thread. (Sorry if you don't work on the client, I just can't think of any other engineers off the top of my head)

Well, here goes. I've never seen a red respond to this issue, even with a "no idea lol", but... yeah.

Is the LoL client/launcher/lobby/store/profile/BIGBLUELoLWINDOW going to be run on adobe air forever? I feel like you guys are kinda stuck in a "we don't like it either, but we're in too deep to turn back now" type of situation. It just seems like the guys working on fixing the bugs hate the air platform as much as the people experiencing the bugs.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... do you have any legitimate plans to give us a new lobby client, or is it just in a state of "oh man I wish we could make a new client "?

The client as a whole just seems so unprofessional for the most popular online game in the world (from a bugginess point of view, not artistic), because really, a bug like "ugh, it says he accepted but the room filled up, time to remake the entire lobby" isn't much on its own, but THERE'S SO MANY OF THEM LIKE THAT. I mean, I understand that this was created back when your company was in a different financial situation, but did you just neglect making the change for too long, and eventually give up, or is there still hope?

Just... anything, say anything please, even if you can't share details, just tell us you understand it's a problem. ACKNOWLEDGE THE EXISTENCE OF THIS THREAD, I BEG YOU!

Edit: Thanks for clearing the air on these issues (pun intended). Much appreciated, and I take back all the silly things I've said about how awful this platform is. Hope the client bugs get worked out soon :3

Attachment 613590

Schtiffles

02-13-2013

:3

pro4never

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

bumpiness as this conversation would interest me.

Mugz

02-13-2013

What I want to see

Is the game being stand alone from the client

When the client closes on game startup, it actually shuts down the process and stops eating half a gig of RAM.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

02-13-2013
1 of 4 Riot Posts

Post slot saved for later.

Nevermind--just posted anew. It's better for devtracker followers.

Zerglinator

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
Post slot saved for later.
Oh snap

The Engineer is here.

Hickle Stine

02-13-2013

I'd love to hear this discussion. The game client is full of small bugs like profiles displaying the wrong stats, lobby issues etc. What is Riot's stance on this?

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

02-13-2013
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Let me start off by saying that I do not normally work on the Air Client (more formally the LoL Front End), and I cannot fully represent their views. I do know some things, though.

People often complain about our Front End for various reasons: generally either that it is slow and/or buggy. We hear these and take them to heart. We know that the user experience of the Front End is not even close to optimal. Rioters have to use it to play the game too! We grumble and moan every time we have to recreate a custom game because it went into champion select and didn't start, or you hit accept to a game invite and you're forced to wait 10+ seconds before the client registers it, or what have you.

But this is not Adobe Air's fault.

If you see a bug in the Game Client, do you blame C++? Absolutely not! Each language has its ups and downs, but no language is ever "at fault". It's true that it's difficult to get more efficient than C/C++, but we don't need that level of efficiency for the Front End. When you buy a champion, and you're waiting for that purchase to process--the difference between 1 second and 2 seconds is nothing. Who cares? But if you go from 1/10 of a second latency to 1/2 of a second latency in-game, that's HUGE. The Front End does not need to render shadows or perform tons of matrix multiplications--it does not need to delve directly into assembly for efficiency gains, so we don't pay that cost. And in return, we get a lot of really cool stuff out of the box, like for example playing Youtube videos right in the Front End. We could do that in a C++ client, but it'd be way more work for no real benefits.

So don't blame the language. Don't blame the development enviroment. Let us make those calls because we know software engineering and you don't need to. The Front End is the way it is for the same reason the Game Client is the way it is. We made the initial builds very quickly, and to do that, sacrifices were made. Things were not architected in the most sensible or extensible way, which makes changes, and especially bug fixes, more difficult than it would seem on the surface.

If we didn't have this problem, the Mac client would not have taken over a year to develop. But a lot of that time was spent doing code cleanup, and reducing technical debt. And we're going to continue focusing on that, for both the Game Client and the Front End.

But it's not going to be done next week, or even months from now. It's going to be a slow, iterative process, where you may not even realize it's happening. And at some point, we'll have a Game Client and a Front End that both we as developers and you as players will be happy with, and that Front End will be made from Adobe Air (most likely ).

Zerglinator

02-13-2013

WhattayaBrian: The Last Airbender

Ferocial

02-13-2013

There ya go, there's no hope guys..