Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pallin Majere

02-13-2013

Both my brother and I thought she was a dude when we saw the pictures.

Chilly5

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidSorrow View Post
I'm seriously not sure how you get classic paladin sounding the same as justice by any means. How do the notes about Jarvan and Garen make any sort of sense if you had leona saying it? The only thing thats vaguely similar is somewhat the style of the amour (same artist so to be expected) and that justice can kinda play in there....beyond that...how they go about things? Completely different.
So I mean...a Leona that says "I will protect you...Sunlight yadayada"
Is really not to far from a Leona that says "For Justice...Protect the innocent...yadayada"

They aren't the same...I guess. But they are really not very "defined" against each other.

Leona's character IS her armor. That IS what makes her.
Therefore...you can't just say "yeah Quinn's armor looks similar to Leona...psh big deal."
Because...Quinn will be diluting the character-uniqueness of Leona. I guess it's not a "BIG DEAL" but its impactful, its "bad."
I won't seriously believe that a professional artist can't draw armor differently for different characters. Because as it stands there is more than just one similarity between Quinn's concept art, and that of Iron Solari Leona. This has nothing to do with "style," it has everything to do with design choices.

I do not know how they go about things.
And I can use this to add one more arguement:
The majority of the consumer base of League of Legends...does not concern themselves with lore, or champion backstory. All that they take is what is immediately in front of them in the character design. One should not have to sift through the lore (which imo is painful to read) to try to make characters distinct. Every champion should reek of its character. Quinn happens to smell like Leona to me.

I mean...she smells a lot like Leona, but also some of Swain, and Vayne, even some Ashe as it is. I just feel like such a character is too "inbetween" too many other characters. There are more unique tropes to be filled.
When are we going to get a definite Ogre character? Closest thing we have is Rageborn Mundo, but that's a skin!

Fuzzkat

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly5 View Post
Each champion in League of Legends should convey a full character trope.
That's dumb. And it's stupid..and, it's stupid...and it's dumb.

Had there been no teasers to make your mind associate Quinn with fantasy rangers, and she was just released, people would be like woah. She's so fuggin cool, and different. And then you would read that she's a ranger and be like, oh wow this is what a Demacian ranger looks like.

need4sleep

02-13-2013

trash demagogue go find someone who is interested in pointless forum battles

like this Iron Stylus

Terrog

02-13-2013

i like it

PenguinPaladin

02-13-2013

This is the kind of stuff that makes me love Riot. I remember a long time ago someone was complaining about one of the more sexed-up female champions (possibly Sejuani) and Morello responded with something like "We're trying to make a good game that our audience will like, not push an agenda."

And I was disappointed. Because Riot is in a position where they don't have to play into expectations - you guys can create expectations.

What you guys do creatively is going to change the face of the fantasy genre, and Ironstylus, you're spearheading it. I've never been prouder to give you guys my business.

Sydelle

02-13-2013

Just feel like Morello has everyone too imaginatively constricted.

If it was a 5 year old boy with a slingshot - a male counterpart to Annie - but as an ADC, I think the community would have been more excited.

Seems like the ship Morello is running is too tight. :S

That being said, I appreciate all the effort that goes into listening to our feedback.

TheStrelok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzkat View Post
That's dumb. And it's stupid..and, it's stupid...and it's dumb
Dat Sequelitis reference.

Chilly5

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzkat View Post
That's dumb. And it's stupid..and, it's stupid...and it's dumb.

Had there been no teasers to make your mind associate Quinn with fantasy rangers, and she was just released, people would be like woah. She's so fuggin cool, and different. And then you would read that she's a ranger and be like, oh wow this is what a Demacian ranger looks like.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Most champs in this game associate themselves with a trope. This is good, because every single time I get a friend into this game it's because they found an interest with a certain trope (omgah a mech?! Omgah a speardude?! omgah boobs!). More champs that fill more tropes is a good idea if you ask me, and as a result, more champs that fill same tropes dilute the trope...which leads to a lack of diversity...which is more boring.

Plus...isn't "Ashe" already the "ranger" character of this game? Hell she even has a "hawkshot" ability.
You can say "but she aint no Demacian Ranger"...but as the average Leaguer I dont really give a **** what fantasy-nationality they hail to...I just care about the coolness of the character trope. More characters in the same trope dilute the trope = less unique = less interesting.

SlumlordThanatos

02-13-2013

Much as I hate to say this, I noticed something that I feel should be pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Honestly, I feel I owe no excuses. You know my history, you know my goals. I design the women in armor. I do not design the over-sexualized, the seductress, or the siren.
Say you're designing a new badass female warrior. If you explicitly set out to make this female warrior androgynous, doesn't that defeat the purpose of designing a badass female warrior? I liked Leona as much as I did because she's clearly identified as female. Her armor design, her hair, facial features, and even her name spell her out as female, but despite this, she was heavily armored, carries a sword and board, and generally kicks so much ass her boots smell permanently of farts.

Basically what I'm asking is this: what's the point to making a female as androgynous as possible? Is it just for the sake of trying something different, or is there another reason I'm missing completely?