Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hige

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Uhm... well... to me Quinn looks a lot like Talon, maybe a bit too much like an assasin for her to be a ranger of sorts, but it still looks good, cool at least and definitely badass! which is a plus always :P What worries me is her place on the league... we already have a "falcon Archer" and we also have the "crossbow assassin" both in the role of ADC, now them both did the fusion dance and we get "falcon ranger" it's a bit too reiterative, she's also from demacia, probably the city-state with the most champs in the league, every single one of them with a distinct flavor yes, but still from the same place. To sum it up... She looks good, but it feels a bit recycled (specially since Vi seemed to cover the tomboy theme pretty good)

need4sleep

02-13-2013

keep this Iron Stylus guy off champion disign, with him we will have no beautiful feminine champions

like all recent lol art of female champs is ugly or gender negative

Prkl8r

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyBACON View Post
I'm going to preface this by saying I haven't read all of the thread, but come back and edit this post if need be after i do so.

Okay my problem with Quinn's design is not that she's not feminine enough nor that what she's wearing isn't practical. It's that it doesn't quite fit her role/lore. she's wearing what I would expect Jarven or Garen to wear to war. They wear functional but extremely flashy armour. Which is understandable for them since they are high ranking officers at the front lines of a battle. But Quinn is suppose to be a ranger and hunter that should be attacking from cover and with the element of suprise most likely. Yes give her baggy pants and functional falconers glove/gauntlet, but you probably need to tone down all the moving parts and excessive decoration. I would expect all of that to get caught and be in the way when fighting or tracking.

But really I don't have any problem with all of the above when compared to how garish her weapon is. I mean really? The weapon has all the issues that her armour has but turned up to eleven. Well maybe not eleven, but its visuals are still really discordant with the function it's suppose to have. Admittedly I don't know her abilities but barring that her gun has the actual ability to fly, it shouldn't have wings sticking out its sides. Her weapon should be super practical. I was expecting something much more tamed than the love child of Graves' revolver/shot gun and hextech Anivia. It's just too muddled of a design. The only thing I like about it is the idea of it being a magazine loaded weapon. Everything else just irks me as being wrong.
She is still a member of a highly organized and uniformed army. That is why she is wearing what she is wearing.

Juddley

02-13-2013

Why do people still play this **** game? Play DoTA where the champions are WAY more creative, interesting, and actually FUN to play! League SUCKS!

SplendidSorrow

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly5 View Post
This is a game. It is not real life.
The characters that become champions in this game are specifically created by a design team.
This design team is invested in creating a product that is sharp, memorable, and unique.

Sure maybe people from Demacia should "have a uniform."
But...in the context of creating this game...there should be a voice saying "but we don't want to bore people with the same designs over and over again."
This is why Fiora, Galio, Xin Zhao, Poppy, and Sona...all the best Demacia has to offer...don't look the same...like at all.
If you look at most, if not all of the Demacian heros they almost all have gold and blues in their color pallets. Its kind of the demacian theme there. How they have those themes integrated into them is different, but the theme is there. And like those other demacian heroes Quinn incorperates that some of those same things...

EmperialGoddess

02-13-2013

The new champ is beautiful, Stylus. Thank you!

chumbler

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4sleep View Post
keep this Iron Stylus guy off champion disign, with him we will have no beautiful feminine champions

like all recent lol art of female champs is ugly or gender negative
I don't think you know what gender negative means.

SplendidSorrow

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyBACON View Post
I'm going to preface this by saying I haven't read all of the thread, but come back and edit this post if need be after i do so.

Okay my problem with Quinn's design is not that she's not feminine enough nor that what she's wearing isn't practical. It's that it doesn't quite fit her role/lore. she's wearing what I would expect Jarven or Garen to wear to war. They wear functional but extremely flashy armour. Which is understandable for them since they are high ranking officers at the front lines of a battle. But Quinn is suppose to be a ranger and hunter that should be attacking from cover and with the element of suprise most likely. Yes give her baggy pants and functional falconers glove/gauntlet, but you probably need to tone down all the moving parts and excessive decoration. I would expect all of that to get caught and be in the way when fighting or tracking.

But really I don't have any problem with all of the above when compared to how garish her weapon is. I mean really? The weapon has all the issues that her armour has but turned up to eleven. Well maybe not eleven, but its visuals are still really discordant with the function it's suppose to have. Admittedly I don't know her abilities but barring that her gun has the actual ability to fly, it shouldn't have wings sticking out its sides. Her weapon should be super practical. I was expecting something much more tamed than the love child of Graves' revolver/shot gun and hextech Anivia. It's just too muddled of a design. The only thing I like about it is the idea of it being a magazine loaded weapon. Everything else just irks me as being wrong.

Also keep in mind that she prety much recently got promoted from run of the mill commoner to elite guard. Elite guard's in fantasy settings tend to have stylized, fancy, armors and weapons as symbols... especially when out representing their country...

Impoliteminority

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisottoNero View Post
That's cool and all. What else? Mordekaiser is actually a stealth assasin and Annie is a supposed to be a heavy knight.

Iunno man have you seen a fed annie late game?

Pretty beefy.

Toss Baws

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

IronStylus, I don't see why you're apologizing at all. You're the one drawing the champions (and getting paid for it), and people are gonna get butthurt over stuff regardless. You don't need to rationalize everything you do, it's alright. People always complain but never do anything about it. They're not hired to draw new champions, you are, so stop apologizing when people complain. Not like we're all art majors here =P

Either way, I like her look. It's, for lack of better terms, refreshing. Well done.