Demacia Needs Heroes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arc Kalocal

02-13-2013

I think the next male champion should sport a speedo, nipple rings, and maybe a python around his neck. We can't have reasonable women without unreasonable men!

Animato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
A functional Demacian helmet which adds sleekness is a design choice. It's Valkyrie, it's a motif, and it's a visual landmark.
Dark Valkyrie Diana would like a word with you

Darklarik

02-13-2013

I do love the your take on the non-oversexualised Ranger.

but would it be possible to release a semi or more skin tight outfit Skin for her? for the people who have the, other taste.

I think a Pirate skin would be awsome, with skin tight pants and stuff to satisfy the wanting off a sexy design. Valor could be a parrot. You could even get a new forum icon from such a skin

Vsin

02-13-2013

I don't care if a chick is wearing skin tight leather pants or a Gundam box. What I do care about is the dissonance between what she says she is and what she's wearing says she is.

She says she's a scout, yet her armour actually manages to look more over the top and bulkier than JARVAN'S armour. Heck, I'll throw the colour scheme aside because a) we can call it uniform and b) I like it, but the sheer bulk of that armour looks like even superhumans would collapse of exhaustion after trekking through the rough for more than an hour.

In particular, those leggings look useless as actual protection. It's as though someone got the idea to hypersexualize her legs halfway through development, and then IronStylus stepped in and made her put pants on. That's not protection - that's just artificially widening her thighs because why the hell not. Those leggings also seem as physics defying as half the armour sets in TERA because I have no idea how those plates/pads stay on. And I haven't even got to that absurdly heavy looking perch for Valor...

LonelyLiamNeeson

02-13-2013

Quote:

I do not abide by the established or the expected, neither does Riot on the whole. It is not our job to abide, it's our job to challenge the convention and question traditional execution.

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for understanding where we're coming from. This isn't just me. This is part of something larger. Pendulums will swing, you'll get your stripped down heroes. Quinn is not one of them and we're proud of that.
IronStylus is easily one of the best champion creators at Riot. He's the only one who can respectfully make a female warrior type character decked out in badass armor. I know we all like our over-sexualized female champs (I think Neon Strike Vi looks gorgeous), but its really nice to get some that aren't only interesting for their femininity (Diana's concept and /joke are still my favorite). Its nice to actually have a champ with an interesting concept and be unique. It's much more interesting to have a unique champion we can fall in love with, than a stereotypical female champ whose only attractive concept is her sexuality.

baronvonross

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvin Augeri View Post
Some constructive feedback for the Parrot.

I find all of the above to be valid. That said, I feel that there is some rather abrupt dissonance here between the character/lore as outlined here by the journal pages and the visual design of this concept.

Particularly, there’s this bit here:

Thing is, I don’t see utility when I look at the only picture we currently have of her. I don’t see pockets, I don’t see a belt, I don’t see a bag. Maybe those are there on the final design, maybe not. As far as the concept goes, while I do see knee pads and a lack of exposed flesh, there remains the matter of said dissonance. If it wasn’t for the bolt pistol and Valor giving her away as a ranger and falconer, her get-up would make me think melee-ranged skirmisher.

Quinn’s concept also suffers from the same problem that Ashe, Tryndamere, and Sejuani suffer, which is to say there’s a disconnect between their appearance and their background. The Freljordians are supposedly from a cold, harsh tundra atop the mountains, and yet I take one look at them and go, “Why are they wearing such skimpy garments? Wouldn’t they be freezing?” Likewise with Quinn, except in her case it’s, “Why is she running around with greaves on? Isn’t that impractical?” I look at her armor in the concept and it comes off as metallic where I’d expect and hope to see leather or some variation on hide. Instead, all of the gold is stiff- and rigid-looking. Seriously, go on a days-long hike and then come back and tell me you’d like to go through that again while weighed down like that. For some commoner who has to track down, outpace, and catch an assassin – assassins are slippery little gits – she doesn’t look the part. Rather, she looks like she’s about to attend some Demacian function. And I know you’re going to hate hearing this, but she has heels. Not stilettos, thankfully, but wedges. I was hoping for boots. You know, practical for traipsing through the woods.

Heavy armor is more suited to archers than to rangers. The former spends much of his or her time in fortified positions, such as atop castle walls; the latter is more concerned with mobility, pathfinding, tracking, roughing it. Simply put, Quinn looks more like a Demacian superhero than a ranger - which would be fine, if we hadn’t been treated to the journal pages. I almost wish I’d only had one or the other now, rather than both – just the pages, or just the picture. As it stands, I find it hard to believe that she could catch anyone off guard dressed like that, and that’s what it comes down to, same as Sejuani: suspension of disbelief gets thrown out the window because it’s a little too over-the-top.

It’s a damned shame, too, because I LIKE the design. Reminds me of Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile.

I completely agree with your points, you're spot-on.

I personally would love to have a grandiose, demacian ADC. I also happen to think that Quinn fills that part. However, I don't find it hard to picture her sneaking up on someone.

I'd like to point out the lack of armor she does wear. The main heavy, metallic armor I see consists oft:
-Her gauntlets + forearm (for perch)
-Small shoulder armor on left shoulder
-torso plate
-Knee pads
-Shin guards

Quinn seems to not be trying to live alone in the wild, but rather, remembers the ways of the wilderness having returned from demacia a hero. She doesn't seem to need to rough it.

Hope this sheds some community diversity in thoughts ^^

ZephyBlaze77

02-13-2013

I just saw this design, and I gotta say..

Release day buy, +1.

Stampede EU

02-13-2013

Quote:
Cross-post from another thread...
Parrot, you're my favorite red from now on. Keep on making badass females that wear actual COMBAT armor instead of Battle Bikini, that could shoot you in the throat and not think twice about it, instead of all these Milano Fashion Week babes that would collapse from a single backhand to their boob windowed breasts.

ZeroMythos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Hand to the ground. Eyes to the sky.

Demacia needs heroes.
Wait a second... is that a nerf gun in her hand?

relevantex

02-13-2013

What you guys need to understand is we're being critical because we love the concept. We love the design. We love the lore behind it. I wouldn't be in this thread commenting if I didn't really like it. It's new, refreshing, and fun just to discuss it. However - that doesn't mean it's perfect. It's called constructive criticism guys, and the intent is to make something good even better. Riot is fortunately the type of company that actually listens to its fans' feedback. So all these comments about "You have no right to judge it's his art blahblahblah" is extremely stupid. My feedback alone is a testament to the fact that I actually cared enough to pay close attention to his work, the lore, and all the details. It's appreciation in the form of my opinion. Does he have to make any changes I suggest? Of course not, but he put effort into making these concepts and I appreciate it by giving him my honest opinion. If there's anything I know about art it's that it should never be stagnant.

Quote:
I do not abide by the established or the expected, neither does Riot on the whole. It is not our job to abide, it's our job to challenge the convention and question traditional execution.
Heh, that sounds nice. Now if only you followed that same attitude towards making champions of different ethnic groups.