Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melancholy Exile

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Lemmings View Post
So uh... why is Iron Stylus being downvoted? Thought his explanation was pretty clear. And Quinn is a pretty stellar looking champion. I'm stoked. (prepare for downvotes for saying something positive)
Because, to be completely blunt, some people dislike her design. Even if his response is perfectly reasonable, and addresses why he took the approach he has, downvotes are still the most straightforward way for them to make their opinion known.

N49

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
words
You know, while I get where you stand, and where you're looking at things from...
Her design dose a **** job at conveying who she is.

There is absolutely nothing about her appearance that conveys any sort of unique personality.
Quite the opposite: she looks like you'd expect an absolutely run-of-the-mill, completely in line, Demacian footsoldier to look like. Certainly not like someone who'd be accepted into the League.

Didn't, like, ALL OF RIOT do a series of long rants on how there's "limited design space", "missed the mark on your last few female champions", and "we're going to work on making things better in the future"?

I mean, it is quite the opposite end of the sexualization spectrum, I'll give you that, but I think this time it went so far that even Kayle's default model reads stronger as a woman than this... thing.

Can we go back to full plate on high heels? You know, something that looks badass, but still reads well as a female. Pretty please?

Hallows Evelynn

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by die4769 View Post
Oh yeah, Leona is definitely one of the manliest looking characters I've ever seen. You're so full of ****.

the only reason you can tell leona is a female at all is because of the overly drawn boob plate and the fact that her entire armyr is a metal ****ing dress. have you ever looked at her face and chin?

Eletale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

The problem Riot has here is the very same nintendo had with Metroid Other M. You present information to the players, you make them think of their own vision of how the character is, through her background and achivements, and then present the official one as the complete opposite of what was expected.
Unfortunately for you, people have imagination.

PD: I personally imagined her more agile looking, kind of like Spellthief Lux if she was a ranger.

Avalon Bright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki Hinata View Post
Keep in mind guys, most of that is leather, not plate. Did people complain this much with leona? "omg she wears all plate, must be terrible. make her wear nothing at all!"
Uh, no, because Leona is a KNIGHT, not a ****ing tracker and falconer who has no place going around in huge clunky armor.

Twerk it Twitch

02-13-2013

Quote:
Some quick context:

Quinn used to be a guy, then I turned her into a woman. That woman is a ranger, she's prepared for a fight, she's wearing thicker armor but not plate aside from key places where she would have to interact with an enemy's face.

Quinn was not designed to be in a skin-tight outfit. That was tried, and look, again, like a woman with a cape, in a skin tight outfit, which had been worked to death by Zyra, Syndra, Elise, and Diana. She does not care about looking feminine, she cares about utility. Baggy fatigues which have hardened pockets, knee pads to dig into the ground to take a shot, no exposed flesh to take a graze.

A functional Demacian helmet which adds sleekness is a design choice. It's Valkyrie, it's a motif, and it's a visual landmark. She has a gauntlet reminiscent of a falconer's glove which is armored because Valor has armor on his talons, to again, interact with an enemy's face. He can do damage to even thick leather.

Her hood is collapsed, she has essentially a themed parka with a bird motif, Functional but themed.

She has what equates to kevlar, thickened material able to resist a blade. She has Demacian signifiers all over her, and bird motifs worked in. She is functional but fantasy.

Regarding femininity, I was called out long ago when Sejuani released for making the reasoning that Sejuani might wear less clothing so that "you can tell she's female." That is an invalid argument and a sad excuse to design a particular way. A ranger, an elite, doesn't care whether you can tell they are a female or a male. They are interested in getting the job done, and having the gear to do so. We gave Quinn that gear and did not embrace the traditional route of the tight-clothed standard fantasy ranger. She's a new ranger for a new time. She hits the Demacian notes but plays off of them. That is the rational behind similar armor themes to Garen and Jarvan. That's how we establish she's in the military proper, but not standard in uniform.

For reference, take a look ad Deunan Knute from Appleseed. She has no boob or breastplates. She is completely covered with a half-helm. She has short hair. She is a bit more masculine, that's the goal. She is not a waif, but she is agile. She has small breasts, a tighter frame, but is fairly androgynous. That's what we wanted to portray, and I feel we hit that.

Honestly, I feel I owe no excuses. You know my history, you know my goals. I design the women in armor. I do not design the over-sexualized, the seductress, or the siren. Different artists gravitate towards different styles and themes. When this champion came along, I opted to work on it because I felt I could bring a different take. Initially, she did start out as a traditional fantasy ranger, and actually was melee at the time. However, that was not the route we wanted to take. That was standard, it was conventional, and it was boring. I drove away from it and made something rugged in the new direction we're trying to take our style. Fantasy, but not traditional fantasy.

This is my take. If you don't like it that's perfectly fine. I, like all artists, design with particular design and form language as my signature. You might have noticed Zyra, Syndra and Elise were designed by the same artist. Sexy bodies, integrated clothing/biology, dark females. Same with artist for Nautilus, Ziggs and Lulu. Friendly shapes, opposing colors, offbeat characters. Just like game designers have similar flavor to their champions across the board artists have similar common expressions.

If you want a traditional archer, with a traditional fantasy get-up, with a traditional build, and a traditional design where female form expression trumps practically fighting the fight, I am not your guy, and I'm glad to admit that. That's my strength, that why I work on what I work on.

I do not abide by the established or the expected, neither does Riot on the whole. It is not our job to abide, it's our job to challenge the convention and question traditional execution.

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for understanding where we're coming from. This isn't just me. This is part of something larger. Pendulums will swing, you'll get your stripped down heroes. Quinn is not one of them and we're proud of that.

Thanks for taking the manly beast that was the Eagle Rider concept art and turning into a bland variant of your wife ( Like we didn't already have two of these.). Don't worry you can keep spouting on about your strong ties to feminism but when you only have one female body base you design it really says something about your artistic creativity.

DeathByWaffle

02-13-2013

Quote:
Some quick context:

Quinn used to be a guy, then I turned her into a woman. That woman is a ranger, she's prepared for a fight, she's wearing thicker armor but not plate aside from key places where she would have to interact with an enemy's face.

Quinn was not designed to be in a skin-tight outfit. That was tried, and look, again, like a woman with a cape, in a skin tight outfit, which had been worked to death by Zyra, Syndra, Elise, and Diana. She does not care about looking feminine, she cares about utility. Baggy fatigues which have hardened pockets, knee pads to dig into the ground to take a shot, no exposed flesh to take a graze.

A functional Demacian helmet which adds sleekness is a design choice. It's Valkyrie, it's a motif, and it's a visual landmark. She has a gauntlet reminiscent of a falconer's glove which is armored because Valor has armor on his talons, to again, interact with an enemy's face. He can do damage to even thick leather.

Her hood is collapsed, she has essentially a themed parka with a bird motif, Functional but themed.

She has what equates to kevlar, thickened material able to resist a blade. She has Demacian signifiers all over her, and bird motifs worked in. She is functional but fantasy.

Regarding femininity, I was called out long ago when Sejuani released for making the reasoning that Sejuani might wear less clothing so that "you can tell she's female." That is an invalid argument and a sad excuse to design a particular way. A ranger, an elite, doesn't care whether you can tell they are a female or a male. They are interested in getting the job done, and having the gear to do so. We gave Quinn that gear and did not embrace the traditional route of the tight-clothed standard fantasy ranger. She's a new ranger for a new time. She hits the Demacian notes but plays off of them. That is the rational behind similar armor themes to Garen and Jarvan. That's how we establish she's in the military proper, but not standard in uniform.

For reference, take a look ad Deunan Knute from Appleseed. She has no boob or breastplates. She is completely covered with a half-helm. She has short hair. She is a bit more masculine, that's the goal. She is not a waif, but she is agile. She has small breasts, a tighter frame, but is fairly androgynous. That's what we wanted to portray, and I feel we hit that.

Honestly, I feel I owe no excuses. You know my history, you know my goals. I design the women in armor. I do not design the over-sexualized, the seductress, or the siren. Different artists gravitate towards different styles and themes. When this champion came along, I opted to work on it because I felt I could bring a different take. Initially, she did start out as a traditional fantasy ranger, and actually was melee at the time. However, that was not the route we wanted to take. That was standard, it was conventional, and it was boring. I drove away from it and made something rugged in the new direction we're trying to take our style. Fantasy, but not traditional fantasy.

This is my take. If you don't like it that's perfectly fine. I, like all artists, design with particular design and form language as my signature. You might have noticed Zyra, Syndra and Elise were designed by the same artist. Sexy bodies, integrated clothing/biology, dark females. Same with artist for Nautilus, Ziggs and Lulu. Friendly shapes, opposing colors, offbeat characters. Just like game designers have similar flavor to their champions across the board artists have similar common expressions.

If you want a traditional archer, with a traditional fantasy get-up, with a traditional build, and a traditional design where female form expression trumps practically fighting the fight, I am not your guy, and I'm glad to admit that. That's my strength, that why I work on what I work on.

I do not abide by the established or the expected, neither does Riot on the whole. It is not our job to abide, it's our job to challenge the convention and question traditional execution.

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for understanding where we're coming from. This isn't just me. This is part of something larger. Pendulums will swing, you'll get your stripped down heroes. Quinn is not one of them and we're proud of that.
Could you make her face a bit more... Feminine then? Right now she looks pretty androgynous.

ashxu

02-13-2013

This forum is so hot and cold

"omg riot wtf cleavage gg appealing to 13 year olds"
"omg wtf where are the boobs wtf riot"

enrico swagolo

02-13-2013

Quote:
Some quick context:

Parrot is fieeereceee. Dayum!

Krimson62

02-13-2013

honestly... the helmet may be throwing me off.... she has a hood! why not make it like neon strike Vi and have her taunt pull it up or down? with the helm on that wont be able to happen