Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeyLPG

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Some quick context:

Quinn used to be a guy, then I turned her into a woman. That woman is a ranger, she's prepared for a fight, she's wearing thicker armor but not plate aside from key places where she would have to interact with an enemy's face.

Quinn was not designed to be in a skin-tight outfit. That was tried, and look, again, like a woman with a cape, in a skin tight outfit, which had been worked to death by Zyra, Syndra, Elise, and Diana. She does not care about looking feminine, she cares about utility. Baggy fatigues which have hardened pockets, knee pads to dig into the ground to take a shot, no exposed flesh to take a graze.

A functional Demacian helmet which adds sleekness is a design choice. It's Valkyrie, it's a motif, and it's a visual landmark. She has a gauntlet reminiscent of a falconer's glove which is armored because Valor has armor on his talons, to again, interact with an enemy's face. He can do damage to even thick leather.

Her hood is collapsed, she has essentially a themed parka with a bird motif, Functional but themed.

She has what equates to kevlar, thickened material able to resist a blade. She has Demacian signifiers all over her, and bird motifs worked in. She is functional but fantasy.

Regarding femininity, I was called out long ago when Sejuani released for making the reasoning that Sejuani might wear less clothing so that "you can tell she's female." That is an invalid argument and a sad excuse to design a particular way. A ranger, an elite, doesn't care whether you can tell they are a female or a male. They are interested in getting the job done, and having the gear to do so. We gave Quinn that gear and did not embrace the traditional route of the tight-clothed standard fantasy ranger. She's a new ranger for a new time. She hits the Demacian notes but plays off of them. That is the rational behind similar armor themes to Garen and Jarvan. That's how we establish she's in the military proper, but not standard in uniform.

For reference, take a look ad Deunan Knute from Appleseed. She has no boob or breastplates. She is completely covered with a half-helm. She has short hair. She is a bit more masculine, that's the goal. She is not a waif, but she is agile. She has small breasts, a tighter frame, but is fairly androgynous. That's what we wanted to portray, and I feel we hit that.

Honestly, I feel I owe no excuses. You know my history, you know my goals. I design the women in armor. I do not design the over-sexualized, the seductress, or the siren. Different artists gravitate towards different styles and themes. When this champion came along, I opted to work on it because I felt I could bring a different take. Initially, she did start out as a traditional fantasy ranger, and actually was melee at the time. However, that was not the route we wanted to take. That was standard, it was conventional, and it was boring. I drove away from it and made something rugged in the new direction we're trying to take our style. Fantasy, but not traditional fantasy.

This is my take. If you don't like it that's perfectly fine. I, like all artists, design with particular design and form language as my signature. You might have noticed Zyra, Syndra and Elise were designed by the same artist. Sexy bodies, integrated clothing/biology, dark females. Same with artist for Nautilus, Ziggs and Lulu. Friendly shapes, opposing colors, offbeat characters. Just like game designers have similar flavor to their champions across the board artists have similar common expressions.

If you want a traditional archer, with a traditional fantasy get-up, with a traditional build, and a traditional design where female form expression trumps practically fighting the fight, I am not your guy, and I'm glad to admit that. That's my strength, that why I work on what I work on.

I do not abide by the established or the expected, neither does Riot on the whole. It is not our job to abide, it's our job to challenge the convention and question traditional execution.

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for understanding where we're coming from. This isn't just me. This is part of something larger. Pendulums will swing, you'll get your stripped down heroes. Quinn is not one of them and we're proud of that.
That's not the problem at all. Her not dressed like one of our generic bimbo champions isn't the issue here. It's how plane her design is and how easily comparable her design is to Leona. I love this character but I can definitely see why her design has upset some people.

john

02-13-2013

i'll wait for her skillset to be released... but it looks like ironstylus just saved me ten bucks -_-

BennyBoy62

02-13-2013

She looks great and you can tell shes a girl easily. Just look at the FACE not the **** lol

BallsMcGee94

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Keep in mind guys, most of that is leather, not plate. Did people complain this much with leona? "omg she wears all plate, must be terrible. make her wear nothing at all!"

Turbo Shaft

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNJuiCeSuCKa View Post
Maybe I read it in the wrong tone, but this is the first time IronStylus has ever sounded like an ******* to me.
I agree, what I got from this excerpt was as followed:

"We strive to make this game for the community. But when the community answers back with a suggestion on simple art style, we'd rather say we don't care because it's what WE think is best."

That's... extremely oxymoronic?

Cruel kindness I suppose. What does that display? What we've feared the worst for our beloved game. =/

Liracy

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeries69 View Post
So, all your feminist babble aside? The design of the character is still incredibly boring. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Leona, because she is NOT boring. Her armor looks awesome, her skins look AMAZING... and on top of that Stylus? She looks like a powerful woman.

Quinn looks like a bad cross of Talon and Vayne. With a bird thrown in for whatever reason.

The bird thing is neat. Should have been worked into an Ashe rework. Hawk shot. We already have a "ranger / archer" I mean ****. LOOK at Ashe.

Quinn would have been absolutely AMAZING as a melee / ranged Assassin moving in and out of combat with a cool skillset.

TLDR; I get that you're into making females who don't fit the norm. Leona is one of, if not my favorite chicks in the game. I'd pay money out the ASS for an armored assassin Katarina skin. But... Quinn, she just misses the mark.

(Note, the above is ENTIRELY my opinion. It doesn't mean it is factual. I don't like the way Quinn looks. I also don't care for Stylus ranting about his feminist agenda. Whats better? Leona has high-heels and no relating that to a gundam is going to change it!)

PS: I do love you for changing her from male to female. For some reason I prefer to play a female.

PPS: DOWNVOTE BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE!
Agree, and stuff.

ChromeFalcon

02-13-2013

I love how some people cant even wait until the splash art or in-game model to make a real comparison between her and Iron Solari Leona supposedly.

They're going all-out to hate on the armor aspect.

Avenging Angel

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistixz View Post
if that is your view, then with all due respect stop designing female champs and just make male champs. every champ you make looks male anyway which is NOT pleasing to the eye.

there is really no reason to turn a m ale champ into a female champs just by adding boobs. seriously, have you sat down and looked at the art for a good 5 mins? do you see how manly it looks?

if you want to talk about women in armor look at a game character named Samus aran. everyone thought she was a guy from start to end till the momen she took off her helmet. and what happened? we find out that under all of that armor she is actually a very femine andn beautiful women.

now lets look at quinn. she looks like a man. infact, if it wasnt for the boob chest plate SHE WOULD be a man. nothing more to say about that.

to sum everything up one only needs to read this one sentence

why didnt u just keep him as a guy? he actually would have looked pretty damn bad ass if he was a guy. now that he is a women, he mind as well be a cross dresser.
So does that mean kayle should be a man too just cause she is armored? Cause of course you see women firefighters dressed up in bikinis right? Honestly just admit that you can't handle that a woman is doing something out of the kitchen without her junk hanging out. There are plenty of scantily clad females for you already and I for one don't mind that this one happens to be normally dressed for her role.

StonerSundays

02-13-2013

Fully Armored, looks bad ass.
http://wallpaperstock.net/kingdom-un..._1600x1200.jpg

Srsly, remake quin to look like this chick from Kingdom under Fire, and i'm sold.http://www.imagenes-juegos.com/kingd...n-i96468-i.jpg

Detahmaio

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBoy62 View Post
She looks great and you can tell shes a girl easily. Just look at the FACE not the **** lol
See Quinn here