For anyone who thinks Riot is bad, you haven't seen anything.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-13-2013
41 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeshowtunes View Post
An average guy goes into an average bar, sees an average girl, and offers to buy her a drink. She says yes. He asks her what she would like. She says a Bud Light. He orders one for her.

It's a nice interaction, and he's probably got a decent job, he pays his taxes, and he's usually a decent person.

He's still trying to have *** with that girl.

He didn't buy her the drink because she's a good person, or because he respects her and her beliefs. He didn't buy her the drink because she was thirsty. He didn't buy her the drink because he wants to treat her better than anyone else would.

He bought her the drink for the chance to have *** with her.

That's what I think of whenever you say something like "we're not concerned with profits so much as we love our community and want to do our best by them!" No you don't. I'm not saying you don't make a great game, and I'm not saying that you guys are milking us for everything that we're worth, no more than I would say that the guy in the above example is a drug-dealing racist serial killer. Doesn't mean you're not trying to **** me, Morello.

Put another way. Amazon always has deals going on. Something is always on sale from them. Would you say they do this because they love their customer base so much and they want their customer base to be as happy as possible? Or is it possible...that they're trying to make as much money as they possibly can, and losing a tiny bit on each sale will, in general, increase overall profits because they will get far more people purchasing things?

It's not that it's evil, or greedy, or that you're awful people. Any of those things may be true, but I wouldn't go that far. But don't tell me how great a person I am and how much you respect me as you're sliding your hand up my thigh. Be honest.
I'm not saying this - you're putting words in my mouth. We're not a company that optimizes maximizing profits because our business model will make us fail if we do that. Certain you-know-who-I'm-talking-about-but-I-won't-name companies are massively successful by using a non-player-focused business strategy. It works. We chose to not do that because we do think we can be successful without doing that and and we do actually see it as a ****ty thing to do.

We're not saying we're a charity organization, or that we're not a real business, we just think there's a smarter way to do it that eliminates the downside for players.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rekka777

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Just earlier today I was reminiscing about the state of the game when I first started playing back in December of 2011, how I picked up Kat on free week and loved her, how I mained AD Kat for half a year, and still main Kat ~.~ I just miss the way the game used to be though, the whole tweaks to armor and MR were supposed to make assassins more viable, and I main assassins, so I was happy. But then, health stacking started.. and I still don't know how to deal with it ;-;

Also, I saw someone say Kat had too many skins, but she only has like, what is it, 4 publicly available skins at the moment. And as far as I'm aware the newest Christmas one (which I love to death), is the only skin to change her particle effects. Before I always just switched between Bilgewater and High Command because it didn't feel like either were really special, but I will never not use this Christmas one now <3 I just want to see an assassin with a good Legendary skin, it doesn't seem like it would be hard since a lot of the assassins are very explosive and have lots of flair, so I'm hoping to see one eventually, but all in all, Riot seems to do pretty good at what they do, I'd just love to see some of the problems haunting it at the moment fixed, it doesn't feel like the same game it did 5 months ago ;-;


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alaerga

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Aeria Games was pretty bad wen Managing 12sky which was one of the most fun and involving MMORPG's I have ever played, very Simple yet challenging and did promote teamwork at a scale largar scale than LoL but it shut down a couple of years ago.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-13-2013
42 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millouis View Post
Nerfs to xin and jarvan while there are champions that are clearly way more over the border right now doesn't seem to be exactly what you need.
I only talked about Xin and Jarvan - it's not the only things we're doing.

I need to stop saying things without a complete 5-page post. Please don't discourage me from sharing some information by taking it and slapping me in the face with it - it's annoying.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronAegis

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We're not saying we're a charity organization, or that we're not a real business, we just think there's a smarter way to do it that eliminates the downside for players.
Any hope that you could eliminate some of the downsides (Ranked mode, cursor bug), for Dominion players, too?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prince Kassad

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Why not nerf health and other defense items (so they aren't as good on bruisers), and then buff "pure tanks" to scale better with defensive stats?

I feel like in the attempt to reign-in bruisers, tanks might get screwed over.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HazardHare

Member

02-13-2013

Riots bad because Tribunal.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phyerbert

Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
An earnest question, what makes you feel that way?
To clarify, I don't feel like Riot doesn't support or listen, in fact I think you do a very good job of that and would like to let you know that I love the communication between Riot and the community. You've already highlighted that as the game grows that communication needs to change to keep up with the massive playerbase.

I'm amazed that Morello even gets on here to talk with us. I assume he has a lot of work he could be doing elsewhere...thank you

I would like to see Dominion get some TLC. Ever since it launched I've been in love with it. I remember for a whole month my friend and I saying "I can't wait until this mode goes ranked!" every day. I've just entered into the forum community and want to be more active here and find my place to contribute. I only just discovered how frustrated many dominion players are with the feeling that we are on the sidelines of league. I would like to help shift that feeling from the playerbase side and need to figure out how to do that, but we are gonna need some help from Riot-side as well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Firellius

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbx View Post
Edit: And look at that. The 6th Riot post in this thread confirms the development of Dragon Master Swain. Riot's bad?

Just be thankful you never had to deal with OGPlanet, and if you did you'll know what I'm talking about. Riot is excellent compared to them. Riot actually listen to our pleas, which they don't have to do. They also have large contact with the community and take great care of their game. Champions being released in IP? If OGP had the game I don't even think runes would be IP.
I've played LostSaga and actually liked it quite a bit. OGPlanet isn't all that bad, not as lenient as RIOT, but they don't even come close to the very worst.

The very worst, absolutely most dreadful publisher in the entire history of gaming...

Is Alaplaya. ANYONE WHO HAS PLAYED S4 LEAGUE WILL CONFIRM THIS.

S4 League used to be a skill based third person shooter, but Alaplaya has, and I kid you not, released guns for real money which not only do more damage and amplify a plethora of stats, but one of them was even released with AUTO-AIM!

Worse yet: Their real money equipment could only be hired, not bought, forcing you to pay over and over again if you want any shot at winning. Or you had to be lucky and get a permanent weapon from a luck-based capsule. They were the absolute worst.

They had a forum full of complaints about a decision and went ahead and did it anyhow.

Believe me, Alaplaya is far and away a worse company than OGPlanet.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Firellius

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millouis View Post
Nerfs to xin and jarvan while there are champions that are clearly way more over the border right now doesn't seem to be exactly what you need.
Sorry, but Xin and Jarvan are two champions that are very, very over the top at the moment. Nerfs to them are a good move.