For anyone who thinks Riot is bad, you haven't seen anything.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gallahan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

Madreds please

PallasAthens

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFire666 View Post
Actually, Warmongs is in a fine place right now. the only reason it's broken is we had an item that took damage depending on the health the enemy had. Madreds razor I think. It was the green claw thing.

We don't have that anymore,,,

And leaving AP champs where they currently stand fixes a lot of your problems.
Paraphrased due to length.

Back when Madreds bloodrazer existed, it was a noob trap. For the price, and the damage it did, it was a really, really bad item. Even if the enemy stacked health, you didn't get this item. It wasn't enough then.

BoTRK is a bit better, because of the lifesteal, activated slow/heal, and # damage, for a low price, it's good for what it does but there needs to be more against health stacking.

KiStorm

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Fighters and the state of top lane.
Only because they can jungle and it's hard to counterpick top laners when you can't guarantee who is there.

Meta causes this, making bot lane ADC/Support the best choice, making junglers/top laners hard to detect as being the laner and leaving soft counter picks as safer choices.

Blade of the ruined king worses this because top laners being tricked into soft counters and losing lane often can't do their mid-game job of destroying carries and mages, it needs attack speed and there simply arent enough synergies for fighters.

Carries beating tanks and being good with Blade of the ruined king means if I as a top lane fighter need it too and I'm more caster based, it's a tremendously overpriced cost/effect scenario for an item that does very little with 1.0 attack speed.

Bergtau

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

Quote:
Fighters and the state of top lane.
I feel like this is what you've been saying for awhile now.

GuyInaRedShirt

02-12-2013

Quote:
An earnest question, what makes you feel that way?
Honestly man as someone who as supported your company for a long time and invested alot in to it, to me it feels like Riot is baiting people with the whole spend money get icons thing currently going on. Almost like you are preying on peoples completionist tendencies. If your gonna have people start collecting icons make them all accessible or let it be known early that it may not be possible to get them all. Don't get people all hyped into collecting stuff then put out ones that only the best of the best can get. Or if you do don't make people pay money then find out later they can't get them all.

PallasAthens

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiStorm View Post
Only because they can jungle and it's hard to counterpick top laners when you can't guarantee who is there.

Meta causes this, making bot lane ADC/Support the best choice, making junglers/top laners hard to detect as being the laner and leaving soft counter picks as safer choices.

Blade of the ruined king worses this because top laners being tricked into soft counters and losing lane often can't do their mid-game job of destroying carries and mages, it needs attack speed and there simply arent enough synergies for fighters.

Carries beating tanks and being good with Blade of the ruined king means if I as a top lane fighter need it too and I'm more caster based, it's a tremendously overpriced cost/effect scenario for an item that does very little with 1.0 attack speed.
Have you seen a Garen with 4k HP? The carry isn't going to beat him. Even if the AD carry is fed, Garen can pretty much walk through your team and focus your carry hard while his team deals...with the other team.

Same with Vi, Olaf, Hecarim. It's all about positioning and using what your team has.

Venjamin

02-12-2013

Morello - The biggest question I have to you, and it falls in to the only disappointment I have with RiOT as of late ( and I will always support RiOT, whether financially or just here on the boards. ) is that you guys have recently decided that transparency is not as important as it once was. I like the new MMR system, but I really dislike the fact that it has lost a lot of transparency.

With the new makeover, people are having a hard time understanding where they are in relation to where they should be, and it makes them feel bad. Their hidden MMR creates far more problems than the new system fixes. Again, I'm a fan of the league / division system. I'd just also like to know where I -really- am. I'm sure that goes for everyone.

I dunno. It's hard to quantify, and I'm going to go find a few more examples of what I mean, because it's not just League stuff - balance changes, design decisions, even so far as rework questions seem to be abandoned in favor of 'feel good' answers.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-12-2013
33 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooleanCube View Post
@Riot: Regarding your implicit lack of self-satisfaction that allows you to always drive forward and think of ways to improve; have you ever taken other thinking strategies to develop improvement methods too? The example I'm thinking about "How can we avoid being more like ?"
If the answer to the previous question is "Yes", would you answer "No"? To be fair, you don't have to actually answer this. Just please don't become like Ankama Games; maker of fantastic IP and then trample on expectations of fans due to disappointing business model and poor iterative update design. (Not that I think you would, but sometimes a good way to cross the bridge is to look down every now and then)
99.9% of the time, I avoid sharing my opinions about other developers...

Welcome to the .1%

I actually was a massive Wakfu player and was top 10 in Dofus Arena for quite awhile in the beta.

Ankama has hit a very sweet spot of ways to upset players - have some things that are literally genius game design, while having everything not in the genius bucket be absolutely confounding. I've never seen anything like it in that way.

I don't know the people who work there personally, nor can I mind-read; but my analysis is that they have a lot of intuitive design talent, with almost no deliberate design capabilities. You'll see something like the Seed mechanic on the Sadida, only to have it adjacent to a progression system on usage similar to UO. This is criminal in a game which has a core combat loop about single-character decision-making on an limited action economy, where what skill to use, and when to use it, is a large part of the engagement.

I feel like their games tend to be a beautiful ****-shoot, where everything that's wrong only feels worse because of how good what's right is. I'm not sure if they have a domineering senior designer driving poor direction, or if they have insufficient ground-level talent to do the needed problems-solving, but if I ever find a meteor full of billions of dollars of rare minerals, there's little I'd want to do more than buy that company and fix things :P

googlemaster

02-12-2013

I love riot but i hate the favoritism of some champs compared to other. ryze is an example of this comparative to say, xin or karma or sej. xin finally got the remake he needed but karma and sej and viktor have been on the back burner for how long? i know its hard to change a champ and make them viable but cmon, karma is as close to a no brainer in terms of fixing that it should have been done months ago.

zyras also a good example, she was blatantly overpowered on release and still remains a strong AP. this was the right way to handle it in little nerfs but then you have other champs that were blatantly overpowered on release and got smacked with a nerf bat so hard extremely early.

Pleasurewizard

02-12-2013

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3089271

Hey look its a thread about warwick. Who put that there?