Soraka skins? Seriously...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vasey

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kades View Post
I'll speak to this- I've played more Soraka games than most and I whole-heartedly agree that she could use some more skins.

One of the big issues is that for a long time Soraka was slated to have a skin rework. That's happened, and in essence we got three 'new' skins. Complete with new particles. I know it doesn't feel like that, but as far as resources needed to create and polish, that's what she just got. I also realize that a rework doesn't give us the flexibility in showcasing our love for that horned goat-lady, but the thinking I heard internally was that they didn't want to create a new skin if they were going to rebuild her model and then have to recreate that new skin over that new model all over again. It's basically doubling up our workload to give you guys half the result.

It's not a great answer. A great answer is that we have 200 new Soraka skins slated and they'll be released in the next patch. (not true) But it is at least some visibility as to why there has been a delay.

But yes. "Riot Plz". All that noise. We hear you guys- we want more Raka skins, too.
Yet a couple weeks after the Annie rework she has a brand new skin...

Valtome

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by florrie View Post
Soraka is almost 2 years older than Trundle.
Both need new skins, but Soraka should be higher priority for this reason. Not to mention the fact that she is vastly more popular than Trundle is.

Trazier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptDictator View Post
There is one skin in the works, I forget which Red came out and said it. Originally they wanted to release one shortly after her visual rework, but there were some technical issues with it and they had to go back to the drawing board.

*dimly lit room, artists furiously scribbling away*

"Sir!"
"What is it?"
"We've just discovered an issue with the new skin we were working on!"
"What? What's wrong?"
"It's a sUHN(dry heaving)... a soUHN....A sorhhhrnn*gulps hard*.. It's a 'raka skin!"
"HOLY FUCK PEOPLE! WE HAVE A SITUATION HERE! DEFCON FIVE! PURGE ALL RECORDS OF THIS OCCURANCE BEFORE THE SUN EXPLODES AND DESTROYS THE SOLAR SYSTEM!"

Half a year later.... we're still safe from the alleged Soraka Development said to have once upon a time taken place...

YoshiStampedeBlu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-12-2013

Quote:
I'll speak to this- I've played more Soraka games than most and I whole-heartedly agree that she could use some more skins.

One of the big issues is that for a long time Soraka was slated to have a skin rework. That's happened, and in essence we got three 'new' skins. Complete with new particles. I know it doesn't feel like that, but as far as resources needed to create and polish, that's what she just got. I also realize that a rework doesn't give us the flexibility in showcasing our love for that horned goat-lady, but the thinking I heard internally was that they didn't want to create a new skin if they were going to rebuild her model and then have to recreate that new skin over that new model all over again. It's basically doubling up our workload to give you guys half the result.

It's not a great answer. A great answer is that we have 200 new Soraka skins slated and they'll be released in the next patch. (not true) But it is at least some visibility as to why there has been a delay.

But yes. "Riot Plz". All that noise. We hear you guys- we want more Raka skins, too.
I like this guy.

Kades

Associate QA Analyst - Gameplay

02-12-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Alright, with a bit of reluctance, I'll tank this thread one more time. Although, I'm doing it with some reservation since A) I'm not on the skins team and B) I agree with your general sentiment. I suppose it's actually healthy for me to explain this from the other side since I can't think of anyone in this building who is more passionate about Soraka than I am... (That's not to say there isn't, but no one jumps to mind.)

To use Annie or Ashe as an example of us providing a skin along with a rework is a fair conclusion- but inaccurate because you don't have the full context of the situation. For both Annie and Ashe, when the decision was made to recreate their models, we held off on creating new content for them. To create a skin that would be attached to Annie, for instance, and then a month or two later work on recreating that exact same skin for the new model would be problematic. We would have to create the new skin twice. So when the decision was made to slot Soraka for a much needed visual update, we held off on new skins. Why she didn't have more skins before I got here is a fair complaint, but I can't really speak to that. (And frankly, our skins team has leveled up substantially since the early days, so I don't spend a ton of time agonizing over the past.)

It's not readily apparent, but if you go back and look at the dates of Annie and Ashe, they hadn't received a new skin in quite some time leading up to their rework.

"But Kades, why didn't Soraka get a new skin with her rework the way Annie and Ashe did?"

That's a really fair question, and while I'll always do my best to provide you transparency on what I can, I do want to continue to work here tomorrow so I'm going to be pretty careful when describing unreleased content. I will say that we strive to keep our quality bar very high, and if anything doesn't hit it, we're not afraid to scrap it and start over until we get it right. Notice I didn't say 'scrap it and walk away'. Though, I guess to be fair, we're not really afraid of that either.

But to say that 'riot hates Soraka' is silly. First off, because Riot is not a person as much as it is a collection of people. And secondly, because among that collection of people, I work there... and I think I probably have more Soraka games under my belt then most players have games played. I mean, it's not a competition, but... I'm passionate about this champ. I'm a constant advocate internally to both get her some love and to push her towards a healthier state. So while I'm not speaking with authority as a skins dude, I can speak with confidence as a guy who is constantly advocating for Soraka. I understand clearly what the hurdles have been in getting her some love, because I've faced them first-hand. That's the visibility that I'm trying to provide.

I was being a bit glib in my last post when I said that the people posting here won't really be satisfied until we get this number of skins up to a more reasonable place. Your numbers are accurate. She has two extra skins- and even those two were late to the game, in my opinion. (Pardon the pun.) But since I've gotten here, they have been hard at work recreating those 3 new reworked skins.

And... honestly.

I mean, I'm not trying to be rude, but I really think you have to give our skins team a bit more credit. With these relaunches, they're completely rebuilding the model and starting from scratch. They're re-skinning every version of the champion, complete with new particles, new animations, revisiting the sound and the Splash artwork as needed... the process can take months and months. And we're not doing this because these champions aren't selling. We're throwing a ridiculous amount of man-hours behind this because we're trying to give you guys the best game we can. And if that means that we move resources away from creating new content like additional skins (which, note: typically correlates to 'income') and instead move those same resources to a complete overhaul of the visuals on champions and skins that are already bought- I mean, some of Kat's reworked skins we don't even sell anymore -all because we want to make them better.... basically, we're just trying to get the best game out that we can. Because we're pretty passionate about it, too.

I don't know.

I'm really proud of the work our skins and relaunch guys are doing. To scrap up any of our visual reworks as 'insignificant' or as a source of frustration instead of a source of excitement seems... peculiar. Honestly, it seems frustrating.

With the relaunch, we've done 5 additional skins for Soraka- though we gave you three of them for free.

But to the OP's point, yes, Soraka needs more skins. I agree. And she'll get them. Promise. "Soon tm" and all that nonsense. (I hate that phrase.) (I hate even more that I'm having to use it.)

gregorymarco

02-12-2013

Quote:
Annie as an example of us providing a skin along with a rework is a fair conclusion- but inaccurate because you don't have the full context of the situation. For both Annie and Ashe, when the decision was made to recreate their models, we held off on creating new content for them.
@_@
Panda Annie.
A new skin with entirely redone particles on tibbers and new sounds.
Released approx. the time of Annie visual rework.

That was a bad example, Kades Q_Q

I do agree with you though, it's difficult to create new content for a newly redone model; when you already had to do so for the already reigning skins. BUT ANNIE HAS LIKE WHAT, 10? And she was given a new skin too?

Riot pls.
E: 7, sorry.

Bunta

02-12-2013

While im not a Soraka player this does seem pretty sad. I mean 2 skins really? out of all the years this game has been out. countless legacy, Limited edition skins, holiday skins, event skins. all those go to numerous champs and usually the same champs yet this one is getting left out (along with other skins)

To me at least, this just kinda proves that Riot really only cares about Champs that sell well. i mean if not all champs would have just about the same amount of skins would they not? or at least the original champs should have a hell of a lot more than 2.

Thornmaelstrom

02-12-2013

Quote:
since I can't think of anyone in this building who is more passionate about Soraka than I am... (That's not to say there isn't, but no one jumps to mind.)
Saiyaka, Ignored
Haikus aren't very memorable
Supports get no love.

Corwynt

02-12-2013

As long as it's not my team picking Soraka

BaronVonWaffle

02-12-2013

Just to let you know.... Volibear is still around....
sitting in a corner....
crying lightning tears....

...naked....