@Riot'sLoreWriters: Please do not write such heavy-handed exposition

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garlyle Wilds

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacus View Post
Not sure if intentional or just tired.

I'm a big fan of the counter-trolling paradigm and that guy sure seems like someone who would freak out over a spelling mistake. On the other hand, I like IS being tired because that means he was working hard making awesome stuff for us
Insomniac Ironstylus, etc etc. Also, he did say he doesn't know much about words!

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eserine View Post
For one, I'd like to note that English is not my native language, and while I try to learn as much as possible from various sources, I still make mistakes on occasion. However...

...I don't really see the point in further discussion of this, because apparently you enjoy personal attacks and slander more than the actual game. If there was anything I could do to change that, I probably would; but sadly, there is nothing I can do to change your mind. There's no dispute in matters of taste and color.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-12-2013
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacus View Post
Not sure if intentional or just tired.

I'm a big fan of the counter-trolling paradigm and that guy sure seems like someone who would freak out over a spelling mistake. On the other hand, I like IS being tired because that means he was working hard making awesome stuff for us
Man, I even spell checked that 'n stuff! Oh well, Shen'edited.

Nightlynx

02-12-2013

Reading the pages whilst stepping into the shoes of a random passerby finding the diary in Runeterra actually makes a lot more sense.

Referring to real life, I tend to write very sentimental stuff in my diary/blog. I'd go on and on and on about loss and sadness and melancholy and all that stuff. When I visit some place with a specific significance to my life, If I write about it i would certainly reminisce about that past.

What the lore department might be trying to do here could be better interpreted if you're not viewing it through the fourth wall. It definitely fits what an introspective person might do in his/her diary.

However, now that I have read it a few more times, it does indeed sound a bit.... off. It might be improved if there wasn't an entire page dedicated to it. Maybe a line or two here and there, when recording her progress in the manhunt.

Gentleman Thief

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3omg View Post
have you guys actually talked about things like full comic stories, or animated shorts, or 'cutscenes' or just short stories- to show current plots and old backstory type things?
I like the idea of comics or animated shorts. I believe that the proper term is "riot pls"?

Eserine

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I might just be an artist and therefore not know much about words, but even an amateur such as myself knows that your condescension is beyond them.

Edit! Bad spelling, told you I was terrible at this!
I was actually sincerely curious about whether Runaan could relate to the many players currently involved in the public dispute over the new lore direction (who you recently addressed as those who think that the lore is dead) since no one in the lore department ever responds to "negative posts". I apologize if this was interpreted in a harsh tone, I was not attempting to be condescending but instead create a connection in relatability between the two parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post
For one, I'd like to note that English is not my native language, and while I try to learn as much as possible from various sources, I still make mistakes on occasion. However...

...I don't really see the point in further discussion of this, because apparently you enjoy personal attacks and slander more than the actual game. If there was anything I could do to change that, I probably would; but sadly, there is nothing I can do to change your mind. There's no dispute in matters of taste and color.
This would be like me saying "Your depiction of my character as a detail-obsessed fanatic is too hurtful for my delicate sensibilities, your constant attacks and love of slander against me remove my ability to consider any argument you make, I cannot go on!"

I am willing to continue this conversation because I consider this an important topic beyond whatever anyone says about my personal identity (including this most recent charge of yours that I am a hatred-filled monster, which I also feel is incorrect since I went on, after briefly noting your spelling errors, to address your points sentence by sentence instead of simply mocking or harassing you).

There is dispute in matters of taste and color when an author makes serious logical errors (returning to why an assassin would carry a detailed journal around with her for instance), and no one seems willing or able to mention it. To me this suggests a problem in the final review process for the storyline of the game that may, down the road, make the game much less enjoyable for even relaxed or less-critical readers such as yourself. I don't point this out to make people feel bad, I point this out because I see it as a crisis for LoL's creative integrity. It would be good to know that this concern was at least understood in the abstract by the game developers, but I take no reassurance from this thread any more than other attempts around the forums that I or other players have made to speak about this issue.

Bad Player

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Like I said, it was a conscious choice to be more deliberate and obvious about a lot of this. The goal wasn't to lay out a bunch of inconclusive and mysterious threads for the character (both Ironstylus and I felt like this would be confusing and frustrating to a lot of players who are really just looking for a character preview, not a puzzle), it was to present as much information as possible about her in a compelling way. I'd hoped people would be on roughly the same page about her at the end of the journal and come out of it with more forward-looking questions rather than trying to discern the secrets of her backstory. I wanted people to know who Caleb was--there was already the running mystery of who "Val" was, after all, so I chose not to confuse the plot further.

Again, though, some of these are really cool ideas--a letter from Garen or Jarvan might've been an interesting addition to the piece as well. Hm!

Also, for the record, I'm perfectly willing to partake in a constructive conversation here provided it remains constructive.
Omg. Puzzle Preview. Yes.

Please? Just once?

Eserine

02-12-2013

This morning the cartoonist David Malki emailed me a link to http://machineofdeath.net/pod-cocaine

Quote:
Nika Harper is a gamer and video host, working at Riot Games in a job primarily consisting of encouraging all types of creativity and giving stuff away. She has a secret writing habit that she hides the best she can, especially when people ask questions like “You look tired, did you sleep last night?” Nika has been an actor, dinosaur, D&D dungeon master and her goal in life is to make people smile.
Perhaps an experimental "Narrative Playtester Advisory Committee" could be formed of several Rioters with no direct connection to the lore department, who could be tasked with reviewing the entire body of the game lore (via resources like Sylphs') and then searching new upcoming storylines or in-game interactions from the lore department explicitly for logical or stylistic inconsistencies.

---------------

Nikasaur
ricklessabandon (OCD may help in this endeavor quite a bit)
2 Engineers
1 Phd (preferably an expert in socio-behavioralism)
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

> Not IronStylus, he can't spell condescension!

Gaeta

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eserine View Post
I was actually sincerely curious about whether Runaan could relate to the many players currently involved in the public dispute over the new lore direction (who you recently addressed as those who think that the lore is dead) since no one in the lore department ever responds to "negative posts". I apologize if this was interpreted in a harsh tone, I was not attempting to be condescending but instead create a connection in relatability between the two parties.
Bull****.

Eserine

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeta View Post
Bull****.
I think that you may be missing the context that I have been asking for the entire lore team to be fired for months now, and asking that Kitae be fired for not firing the lore team, and also informing members of the lore team on Twitter each time I do this

https://twitter.com/Eserine_Calabar

so that they have an opportunity to defend themselves if they deem it necessary to do so.

Pretending cheerfully to love the current state of the lore in this thread for the benefit of disingenuous psychological influence mechanisms would be an insult to Runaan's intelligence, and I much prefer to be straightforward and not resort to cheap neuroscience tricks in attempting to have a serious foundational discussion about how the game is made, not because I have manipulated Riot sufficiently into doing what I want by tricking them, but from the strength of the philosophical positions I and other players hold being obviously the right thing to do.