Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iklo

02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by UshiromiyaBatora View Post
Zyra (Woman), Diana (Woman), Syndra (Woman), Elise (Woman), Vi (Woman), Nami(Female/Woman), Kha'Zix (Something), Thresh (Something), Zed (Man), Rengar (Male).

Those are the last 10 champions.
6~5 Women, 2 Something and 1~2 Furry AND A SINGLE MALE CHAMPION, and he dosn't even show his face.
And now, more woman.
Riot, stop with that "X chromosome factory" and start making guys.
This made me laugh.

bigthunderz

02-08-2013

Great post, some of my thoughts/questions:

I normally build Tanky with some speed and some damage.

I get boots of swiftness - (is this stupid?) to get around the map initiate and escape/rundown.
Warmog's - Feels like a no brainer, is there a better option? (Runic Balwark possibly).
Atma's Impaler - I like the Armor, Crit and at 3k health the damage is equal to BF Sword (equal to 1500g).
Spirit Visage - Like the magic resist and passive helps my passive.
Zephyr - If I get to this it's usually over for the other team - all around great stats for voli.

Other Items I've considered:

Trinity Force
Runic Balwakr
Phantom Dance
Nashor's Tooth
BR King
Zeke's
Elise's
Banshee's Veil
Frozen Mallet

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Here is a list I made of Items cost and the true value:

ITEM: Cost Value Bonus Value
Trininty Force 3903 5132 1229
Runic Balwark 3200 4350 1150
Atma's Impaler 2300 3450 1150
Warmog's 2830 3700 870
Phantom Dancer 2800 3617 817
Nashor's Tooth 2270 3080 810
BR King (sword) 2900 3600 700
Zeke' Herald 2450 3050 600
Elise's 1100 1675 575
Banshee's Veil 2610 3150 540
Zephyr 2850 3367 517
Frozen Mallet 3300 3775 475
Spirit Visage 2200 2650 450
Tiamat 2300 2740 440
Static Shiv 2500 2850 350
Thornmail 2200 2550 350

For summoner spells I usually use ghost and heal, if not flash and ignite.

For skills either 9/21 or 21/9 depending on my/other team.

Any suggestions on runes? I just use health/armor pen/damage...haven't changed my runes in a long time

Since season 3 I've gone 8-2 and should really be 10-0. One team I was on didn't have a single ranged champ. The other I got bottom lane with Sona lol, while kinda fun we couldn't do much vs 2 ranged champs.

I can usually get a kill early because people usually underestimate me with Doran's Shield + passive + heal. Then at level 2 with 1 point in e/ghost they can't get away if they stray from tower. If my lane partner is any good they usually farm the **** out of bot while I distract them from the bushes.

Mid game I really like once I get improved boots how fast I am with the combo of q/ghost and unless I play stupid usually can escape gank attempts.

Late game with Atma's w's execute will slaughter anyone low health. I'm pretty comfortable once I'm over 3k health and have some armor/mr. With the extra speed I have no problem initiating or running people down.

Does anyone ever build some AP for e and r? Would it ever be worth it? it would be so nice if r could do more damage.

thunderz out!

Asdioh

02-08-2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwuyLDkadN8

So I've played tons and tons of volibear and I didn't know he can fling wards. Wtf?

I still wish he could fling towers.

Iklo

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthunderz View Post
Great post, some of my thoughts/questions:

I normally build Tanky with some speed and some damage.

I get boots of swiftness - (is this stupid?) to get around the map initiate and escape/rundown.
Warmog's - Feels like a no brainer, is there a better option? (Runic Balwark possibly).
Atma's Impaler - I like the Armor, Crit and at 3k health the damage is equal to BF Sword (equal to 1500g).
Spirit Visage - Like the magic resist and passive helps my passive.
Zephyr - If I get to this it's usually over for the other team - all around great stats for voli.

Other Items I've considered:

Trinity Force
Runic Balwakr
Phantom Dance
Nashor's Tooth
BR King
Zeke's
Elise's
Banshee's Veil
Frozen Mallet

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Here is a list I made of Items cost and the true value:

ITEM: Cost Value Bonus Value
Trininty Force 3903 5132 1229
Runic Balwark 3200 4350 1150
Atma's Impaler 2300 3450 1150
Warmog's 2830 3700 870
Phantom Dancer 2800 3617 817
Nashor's Tooth 2270 3080 810
BR King (sword) 2900 3600 700
Zeke' Herald 2450 3050 600
Elise's 1100 1675 575
Banshee's Veil 2610 3150 540
Zephyr 2850 3367 517
Frozen Mallet 3300 3775 475
Spirit Visage 2200 2650 450
Tiamat 2300 2740 440
Static Shiv 2500 2850 350
Thornmail 2200 2550 350

For summoner spells I usually use ghost and heal, if not flash and ignite.

For skills either 9/21 or 21/9 depending on my/other team.

Any suggestions on runes? I just use health/armor pen/damage...haven't changed my runes in a long time

Since season 3 I've gone 8-2 and should really be 10-0. One team I was on didn't have a single ranged champ. The other I got bottom lane with Sona lol, while kinda fun we couldn't do much vs 2 ranged champs.

I can usually get a kill early because people usually underestimate me with Doran's Shield + passive + heal. Then at level 2 with 1 point in e/ghost they can't get away if they stray from tower. If my lane partner is any good they usually farm the **** out of bot while I distract them from the bushes.

Mid game I really like once I get improved boots how fast I am with the combo of q/ghost and unless I play stupid usually can escape gank attempts.

Late game with Atma's w's execute will slaughter anyone low health. I'm pretty comfortable once I'm over 3k health and have some armor/mr. With the extra speed I have no problem initiating or running people down.

Does anyone ever build some AP for e and r? Would it ever be worth it? it would be so nice if r could do more damage.

thunderz out!
This is what I suggest to you. Your build is okay. I suggest changing Atmas for Sunfire, Zephyr for a Wits or even a Nashors if you need cdr badly, and always get Merc or Ninja Tabi on Voli. The swiftness boots are okay, but not nearly worth the same value as Merc/Ninja.

Furthermore, never ever ever EVER get heal on him unless the summoner spell counters your lane opponent harshly. Ignite is almost always better than any other summoner spell because it allows him to have better killing potential and allows him to trade in early duels better. Without Ignite Volibear tends to lose his lvl 3 duel. Now, ghost is viable against the right opponent. Against a Nid or Jayce, ghost is extremely helpful because of their kiting nature, but Flash has better potential if you are playing blindly. I only ever get ghost if I have been countered by a ranged opponent top lane such as Nid or Jayce, even Teemo sometimes. Ignite/Flash is your best bet and Ignite/Ghost for kiting lanes.

Also, do not start out with a dorans shield... please. Just dont. On your first back you can get one and some pots and a ward, but never get one as a starting item because Volibear has no built in sustain expect his passive which means he can be easily harassed down. Pots are extremely useful early game for any champion. The only reason I would get a dorans shield on my first back would be if I was against a Jax or Xin (both pure auto attack champions) top lane. Start cloth/5 into Ninja and dorans for lane dominance.

Also for runes I go attack speed reds and quints with flat arm seals and mr per lvl blues. My personal preference after many many months of playing him.

Dues Pater

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2013

i would liek to see to some ad ratios on his r and a improved version of his w. Also the no cast time would be good on his r

bigthunderz

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iklo View Post
This is what I suggest to you. Your build is okay. I suggest changing Atmas for Sunfire, Zephyr for a Wits or even a Nashors if you need cdr badly, and always get Merc or Ninja Tabi on Voli. The swiftness boots are okay, but not nearly worth the same value as Merc/Ninja.

Furthermore, never ever ever EVER get heal on him unless the summoner spell counters your lane opponent harshly. Ignite is almost always better than any other summoner spell because it allows him to have better killing potential and allows him to trade in early duels better. Without Ignite Volibear tends to lose his lvl 3 duel. Now, ghost is viable against the right opponent. Against a Nid or Jayce, ghost is extremely helpful because of their kiting nature, but Flash has better potential if you are playing blindly. I only ever get ghost if I have been countered by a ranged opponent top lane such as Nid or Jayce, even Teemo sometimes. Ignite/Flash is your best bet and Ignite/Ghost for kiting lanes.

Also, do not start out with a dorans shield... please. Just dont. On your first back you can get one and some pots and a ward, but never get one as a starting item because Volibear has no built in sustain expect his passive which means he can be easily harassed down. Pots are extremely useful early game for any champion. The only reason I would get a dorans shield on my first back would be if I was against a Jax or Xin (both pure auto attack champion) top lane. Start cloth/5 into Ninja and dorans for lane dominance.

Also for runes I go attack speed reds and quints with flat arm seals and mr per lvl blues. My personal preference after many many months of playing him.

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try!

I go Doran's because I feel like pots are just throwing gold away, why not get an item with hp regen. Doran's also helps for the level 1-3 duels but I will stop using it I guess.

Iklo

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthunderz View Post
Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try!

I go Doran's because I feel like pots are just throwing gold away, why not get an item with hp regen. Doran's also helps for the level 1-3 duels but I will stop using it I guess.
It is mainly personal preference, but no high elo top laner ever starts with a dorans shield because it limits their sustain in lane and allows for their opponent to trade quicker with them and to greater effect. Dorans shield will not sustain a champion in a short amount of time like a pot would. This is because pots will give that champion 150 health regen within 10 seconds? Cant remember the exact number, but certainly more than dorans in a short time, this makes pots a better choice because it allows you to sustain trades. Dorans shield may serve you well until you reach an elo that clearly knows how to counter a no pot start.

These are only my suggestions, you do not have to change your playstyle just because I advised differently. Best of luck to you.

Asdioh

02-12-2013

He's right. Doran's Shield is a good item, especially for Volibear, but you should almost never start with Doran's on any champion, you'll just eventually lose out in trades and die or have to go back to base, or you'll get ganked, etc.

What are your favorite common top laner matchups to play as Voli? I played Xin top recently (and blew at it) but I was against Voli so I figured I'd do well, but I failed pretty badly. I always though I'd use Voli if I had to lane against a Xin though, since he has no real escape and Voli could win the all-in in a lot of situations.

Iklo

02-12-2013

My favorite match up while playing Volibear is against a Riven or a Darius. They are both champions that usually have the majority of the cocky high school kids who think they can steam roll any champion early game. I find it so funny when they ignite me while my passive has proced yet their combo is on cooldown which means I can easily win the duel. I also like beating Rivens at lvl 3 and watching them whine or rage the rest of the game because they continue to lose horribly against me. Jax is also fun because he is so hoppy and makes for a unique challenge. I LOVE to face Xins because his kit encourages him to go all in, which is similar to Volibears kit, but it allows Volibear to win against almost anyone top lane (besides kiters and harass). Volibear wins the majority of melee champion match ups pre level 6 (Darius beats him after 6). Anyway back to Xin, he charges in and pops you up in the air and thinks he has you beat in the trade, but he has no escape which allows Volibear to crush him because Xin has a long cooldown combo.

I love to see Darius' so confused and frustrated that they lost a duel because I w before they r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asdioh View Post
I played Xin top recently (and blew at it) but I was against Voli so I figured I'd do well, but I failed pretty badly. I always though I'd use Voli if I had to lane against a Xin though, since he has no real escape and Voli could win the all-in in a lot of situations.
Volibear counters Xin, Jax, Irelia, Vlad, Rumble, and Olaf (pretty even first duel) easily in lane. He only has problems with people he cannot catch like Nid or Jayce, but ghost is great against champions like this.

bigthunderz

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iklo View Post
My favorite match up while playing Volibear is against a Riven or a Darius. They are both champions that usually have the majority of the cocky high school kids who think they can steam roll any champion early game. I find it so funny when they ignite me while my passive has proced yet their combo is on cooldown which means I can easily win the duel. I also like beating Rivens at lvl 3 and watching them whine or rage the rest of the game because they continue to lose horribly against me. Jax is also fun because he is so hoppy and makes for a unique challenge. I LOVE to face Xins because his kit encourages him to go all in, which is similar to Volibears kit, but it allows Volibear to win against almost anyone top lane (besides kiters and harass). Volibear wins the majority of melee champion match ups pre level 6 (Darius beats him after 6). Anyway back to Xin, he charges in and pops you up in the air and thinks he has you beat in the trade, but he has no escape which allows Volibear to crush him because Xin has a long cooldown combo.

I love to see Darius' so confused and frustrated that they lost a duel because I w before they r.

Volibear counters Xin, Jax, Irelia, Vlad, Rumble, and Olaf (pretty even first duel) easily in lane. He only has problems with people he cannot catch like Nid or Jayce, but ghost is great against champions like this.

Who does Voli counter bottom lane?